BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 M5 with the 3.6 engine. Is it possible to remove the oil pan without removing the engine? If it is possible, what precautions do I need to do? There is no oil pressure and I want to check out the pump. Thanks for any thoughts.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I recently did this one my 3.8 to replace the oil pan gasket. In this case I was working on a lift. I have done this on jack stands as well. The transmission was in place. We used an engine support bar that mounted to the front engine lift point. This bar runs from fender to fender. An engine hoist would work as well. I then removed the bolts from the subframe and let hang down to provide more room to remove the pan. I had to remove a bolt from a steering component as well to let the subframe drop. There was something else in the way by the sway bar that had to be moved as well. It did take some finagling to get it back in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi Davidl,

Wow, that was quick. Thanks so much for your response. I can see where dropping the subframe has advantages over pulling the engine. Now, I need to cobble-up an engine support bar. I'm assuming that the engine does not move vertically, so I ought to be able to leave connections such as coolant hoses in place. Also if the subframe is lowered, I should also be able to replace the engine mounts, one of which is pretty spongy due to oil.
Thank you again,

John

·
Registered
87 Posts
I did lift the engine a bit but did not need to disconnect anything up top. I also replace engine mounts at that time. I second set of hands help when putting the subframe back in place. Also having the wheels removed.

·
Registered
284 Posts
John (jstokley), I have to do this exact job due to no oil pressure. I just ordered an engine support bar. What did you find out about your oil pump?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Subframe

Just did mine as well, used a support bar, it's a must. Other than one of the subframe bolts snapping off it was relatively easy. Steering rods from both ends, sway bar needs removed and the horizontal bolt the hold the PS pump to the mount(kinda a pain to reach the nut, I removed everything and dropped the drivers side down an inch to gain access). There are guide tubes on both sides that locate it to the fram can be stubborn to get but a little tap with a wooden block/hammer on the corners of the subframe freed mine. Oh don't forget the oil level sensor wire, and there are a couple hidden bolts on the pan too. Also the smog pump adjusting bracket will need one bolt pulled that attaches it to the pan. Took maybe 45 minutes to get everything off and removed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
Beerplease
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing