BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 91 M5 engine was recently rebuilt. I know that these cams are very sensitive to right oil since there is no bearing around them. right now i have put 600 miles on engine and mechanic ran 15/40 engine oil. I have read a few thread but its for s38 they recommend motul or redline. which do you guys recommend for a 3.6l engine or is it all same? thanks

·
Registered
499 Posts
Redline 20W-50 or Valvoline 20W-50 VR1 are your best bets.

There is an extensive oil thread on this forum that is worth reading.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ty sir i did read two threads that are long but most of them referred to s38 and i have a s36. it definitely interesting on how zinc and phosphorus plays a big role. which important for our engines . appreciate the response.

·
Registered
499 Posts
All the E34 M5 engines are S38s. Earlier ones were 3.5L (S38B35) A 1991 should have a 3.6L (S38B36) and later models (1994/95) had 3.8L engines (S38B38). Redline or Valvoline will be fine.

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Might be a few days late here but I run bradpenn (now penngrade) 20w-50 as recommended by my mechanic Mark Hutto who has built a number of s38 motors.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Brad Penn 20W-50 is also good choice and I've used it with good results. I stick with Valvoline VR1 20W-50 because it's a great oil that's usually available at local auto parts stores.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate all the input and will go with brad penn or valvoline vr1. I really dont drive car hard it only has 87k miles on the engine prior to it being rebuilt. it make sense to get a good oil with good amount of zinc additive to protect the engine. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 10 of 10 Posts