BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

'91 E34 Dinan M5, price advice wanted

Tags
dinan e34
10K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  toys r' us 
#1 ·
I've been thinking on and off of selling my '91 E34 M5, and have had various people say "let me know when you want to sell it", so it's probably time to think more seriously about it.

Really fabulous car, but I've been driving it for 13 years, which is a heck of a lot longer than any other car I've owned, so it's time to think about a new ride.

I haven't kept up much on price chatter lately, so would love your expert opinions on pricing, etc.

1991 E34 M5
138,000 miles
Black metallic paint
New engine (Dinan 3.9 stroker, 411hp) at 48,000 miles
New gearbox at 48,000 miles (replaced under warranty)
Dinan Stage 3 suspension (shocks, springs, camber plates)
AC Schnitzer Type II 18" wheels
Original black buffalo leather (all seats re-dyed a few years ago when driver's seat was getting wear, all look brand new)
Euro-only burled walnut trim
Dark tinted windows, sides and rear
Blacked-out (formerly) chrome trim
Small rear lip wing.
Impeccably Maintained by BMW Seattle and Fordahl Motorsports

Comments: This is an amazing car, my daily driver. The stroked inline-6 is a torque monster, effortless pull in a 3800 lb car. The Dinan Stage 3 replaced the rear self-levelling suspension with regular coilovers with custom-valved Bilsteins. Amazingly good street ride (no complaints from Mercedes-driving wife or from the in-laws in the back).

Rubber bushings, guibo, tranny mounts recently replaced plus driveshaft (rubber driveshaft bushing was starting to deteriorate, less labour to just replace entire driveshaft so new ujoints etc. for free). Only mechanical issue is a jammed 6-disc CD changer.

Last time it was off the street, I set FTOD (Fast Time of Day) at a BMW club autocross (8 or 9 years ago).

Jim

<!-- / message -->

See less See more
#4 ·
i'd guess between $12k and 16k, a dinan stroker isn't quite as long lived as a stock engine, so with that engine nearing 100k miles, it will probably require some bottom end attention soon.

#9 ·
I haven't formally listed the car (I'm still hoping my wife will think it's a good idea to keep it), but I'll likely ask $18K when I do list it. A local consignment shop that specializes in M cars thinks I can get $22-23k, but I think that's probably on the high side.

Sorry I can't reply to your PM, I haven't made enough posts to be able to send a PM. Can you PM me your email address?

Sorry for not watching this site...

#10 ·
Why sell...the market is total shiat.
E39M5's for 15-18K E60M5's for 40K...fuggetabout it.
Great if you are a buyer but sellers are getting azzraped.
I tried to sell mine but refused to give it away.
Might as well keep it and go have fun with it once in a while.:dunno::M5launch:

#11 ·
i agree...don't sell it now. these cars, as with any car, aren't about the investment value, but the prices they're bringing now are insulting to a great car. good luck finding a car that rolls like this, handles like this, and just FEELS like this for 2x the price. sell some organs instead.

#14 ·
Lovely one

ps.. one question,, your car ,,, when sprinting against a E39 M5 and E34 3.6 M5 (( or 3.8 if that was an option)) the result ??
Have never run head to head with either. It would clearly walk the 3.6 E34, it's +100hp with significantly more bottom-end torque. Haven't run against an E39 M5, but I think it would hold its own. Similar hp, more torque, it's geared a little shorter in 1st (~3%), 2nd (~2%) and 3rd (~3.5%) than the E39 (considering both tranny and diff ratios) which will help off the line. The E39 may have better aero so may be a little better on top end.

I used to run occasional track days with it (I was an instructor with the BMW and Porsche clubs), but haven't since I went full-on racing in 1999 (Porsche RS America, now a Porsche factory GT3 Cup). At Pacific Raceways (formerly Seattle International Raceway) I was never once passed by another car on a track day. 1:37 lap times on 5-year old tires, very few street cars have ever been under 1:40. On the last track day I did, the next-fastest car was a 1:52. It's as quick out of the corners and on the straight as my GT3 Cup (very similar top end at the end of the main straight, which is very long at PIR), but of course can't keep up in cornering (the Cup pulls 1.6 g's on race slicks) or braking (monster 6-pot Brembos, slicks, significant downforce, and 1200 lbs lighter). For a 3800 lb 4-door sedan with a gorgeous interior, it doesn't do too bad against a 2630 lb factory racecar on fresh Michelin slicks (I'm .02 sec off the GT2 track record with a 1:26).

And it's a fabulous daily driver street car, which is what I've been using it for. Zero complaints about ride etc. from my parents or inlaws, to them it's just a 4-door sedan that has dark tinted windows, the only complaint is that they reach for the shoulder belt on the 'wrong side' since they buckle to the outside with the rear bucket seats.

I autocrossed it once, at a BMW club autocross. I had FTOD (fast time of day) by close to 5 seconds, against some heavily tweaked M3's that assumed they were going to walk away from everyone. I've had multiple few regional and divisional autocross championships before I went road racing, so it wasn't all car, but the torque really works well in autocrossing when coming out of tight corners, and the suspension is compliant enough and the throttle progressive enough that it won't get wheelspin unless you're trying to (and then it's easy :)).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.