BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just got the inspection 1 done at the local dealership, and while reviewing the bill (with a magnifying glass) I realized that I was charged for 9, yes 9 quarts of 5W30 oil. Is this even possible??? :eek:

I believe the manual calls for 6.9 quarts for the beast, and I know someone else here had a similar issue when they went to a dealership recently.

Any comments, or suggestions?? More importantly, will this hurt my baby?? :grrrrr:

Thanks all.

PS- Those of you who mentioned the exhaust cam sensor as the culprit for the SES light were right on the money! Ahh, the collective wisdom of this forum never ceases to amaze me!!! Cheers!!! :cheers:

·
10,455 Posts
There seems to be some variability for oil capacity. The manual does say 6.5L or 6.9q. On my car (6/00prod) when I change my own oil, i let the car drain for quite a while, it trickles for 30 min or so. When I refill i need 7.5L to get to the full mark. I use 10/60 hence my capacity reference is metric. Additionally, when i put my used oil in my collection containers, i come really close to filling 2 gallon jugs, so i'm pretty confident i have almost 8q of oil coming out. Not sure about the 9th in your case though.... i have been billed for 8 at the dealership.
Mike

·
Registered
235 Posts
I believe that it takes 8+- quarts of oil...

check the dipstick... if overfilled.. significantly... then you might want to question why they put too much in there.

people on the track, sometimes add 1/2 qt or more , to alleviate some of the starvation that can happen to some, etc.

on my 540, it takes 8 qts oil.. and can take a little more if you put some in the oil filter canister... about 1/2 qt or so

·
Registered
842 Posts
lsdvm said:
PS- Those of you who mentioned the exhaust cam sensor as the culprit for the SES light were right on the money! Ahh, the collective wisdom of this forum never ceases to amaze me!!! Cheers!!! :cheers:
Ah, Grasshopper, as wisdom was passed on to us and we passed wisdom on to you, so must you pass this wisdom on to others. :blink:

Derek

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
marinakorp said:
people on the track, sometimes add 1/2 qt or more , to alleviate some of the starvation that can happen to some, etc.
Why? Don't we alrady have a pseudo 'druy sump' in the car which alleviates starvation issues?

·
10,455 Posts
boostmiser said:
Why? Don't we alrady have a pseudo 'druy sump' in the car which alleviates starvation issues?
Yeah, i think you're right, i've not heard of any M5 people doing the 'overfill' deal. It is common with the e36 m3's though.
Mike

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I recall reading somewhere that overfilling an M5 engine is BAD for it, so check to see it's not overfilled. This is true even for track use. There are sensors in the oiling system that close down certain baffles in high g turns so that the pump stays wet, which is the only point of the overfilling that is commonplace with e36 engines used on the track (it doesn't have the same oiling system).

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
The M5 takes 6.9 quarts of oil (7.5 max). I would definately check to make sure oyu do not have too much oil in the engine as it can cause problems. Please keep us updated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts