BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have Alpina wheels on my car.... the rears are 9.5j and currently have 265/40 tyres fitted.

that size is proving VERY difficult to get tyres for, at the moment the only make I can get before 2015 is Falken FK453 Azenis RP XL (265/40 R17 100Y)

I dont' know these tyres at all, so, hesitate to fit them.

My options seem to be go upto 275/30 (according to Michelin I can then get pilot sport 3's).

or, drop down to 255/40(?) or 255/45?

I have no idea of what is possible, safe or sensible.

really appreciate any comments

·
10,456 Posts
what size is on the front? Stock 235/45? if so i'd probably do the OE 255/40 (even those are getting hard to find though)

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what size is on the front? Stock 235/45? if so i'd probably do the OE 255/40 (even those are getting hard to find though)
245/45 on 8.5j wheels

I'm starting to hate my Alpina wheels now :-( - never had such difficulties deciding what tyres to buy! and this car seems to eat rear tyres!

·
10,456 Posts
yeah with 245/45 front 255/40 rear will look small. Will 275/40 fit in the wheel well?

I was looking on tirerack.com (US Site) and they show a goodyear eagle F1 in 265/40-17 (as well as a bridgestone re760 sport and a michelin PS2).

Wonder if they'd ship to you?

Reactions: 1day

·
Registered
899 Posts
The 275/40/17 will fit with slight roll and a 25mm H&R trak plus spacer. I believe the Dinan Fikse wheels on my car are 17x10 or 17X10.5; the PO had custom barrels fitted so without breaking out the yardstick I can't be sure. The key I've discovered is to make sure there is 40 PSI at all times to prevent too much sidewall flex leading to tire rub. Of course the brand of tire is going to be a factor because of possible varying sizes. I'm currently running PS2 all around. I have one more pair of rears to run and then it's be on to Contis because the PS2 are expensive and increasingly difficult to find in that size.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ended up ordering falkens for now to get through winter and track day booked for mid November.

Was going to try toyos but they are out if stock in this size (at toyo Europe) and no manufacturing date available.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I had a 1990 535i back in College years.
Alpina 17x8.5 and 17x9.5
The 265/40 rubs so I rolled the fender slighty then after replacement time comes I change to 255/40-17

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The falkens I ordered still haven't arrived, apparently Falken Europe distribution centre have messed up.

they should be delivered and fitted next week.

thanks for the suggestions everybody, if these tyres don't work then I'm going to drop down to 255/40-17

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How you like Falkens?
I only have them on the rear, but, not noticed any problems so far.

Did 260kms on track with them recently, and they performed ok, no where near as grippy or predictable as Michelin Pilot Sport 2's, but, they didn't worry me once I started to trust them.

Not used the car much on the roads with them on, but, the times I have used them they have been great.

Wet weather grip is good
Noise is low
Fuel use doesn't seem to have changed

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I scrapped the falkens, had started to dislike them and suspected that the balance of the car was being affected by them, especially as the fronts where now nearly slicks (just road legal).

Have replaced all four tyres...
Fronts Michelin pilot sport 3 -- 245/45/17
Rears Michelin pilot sport 2 (n fitment) -- 255/40/17

immediately noticed a change in handling (so quickly it surprised me) , the awful skittish behaviour has gone, less tramlining and feels gluedto the road ?

1st trCk day of 2016 in a couple of weeks, so hopefully the good behaviour will continue!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1day
Fronts Michelin pilot sport 3 -- 245/45/17
Rears Michelin pilot sport 2 (n fitment) -- 255/40/17

What? Front tires are large diameter and rears small? Might look funny?
nope, fronts are smaller...

·
Registered
623 Posts
Eero said diameter, and he's right about that (front tires are 0.6" taller than rear). It's definitely an interesting stagger, but as we know from the Michelin thread, they are all over the place in sizes and types!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I find the size difference tends to be more with width of tires rather than diameter. Out of curiosity, why not also put 255s up front--clearance issues?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts