BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a very rare car indeed - a RHD 850CSi race car, which is driven competitively on a regular basis by its owner here in NZ.

The ex-UK car is EG92 S/N CC88012, in Lagoon Green.

Stripped out, chipped, with competition exhaust, suspension and brakes, etc, the car looks impressive on the track - see pictures.
The engine puts out well over 400 hp, I'm told.

To improve on-track performance, the car will soon benefit from some further weight reduction mods and an even less restrictive, race-tuned exhaust.

It's great to see one of these cars on a race circuit - I wonder if this car is unique, or if there are any other similar CSi race cars out there?

Attachments

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I've discovered that this is the same car that was run by Jim Edwards in the Kumho Racing Series in the UK.
The car was originally converted to track by Mark Fish Motorsport (UK) and was raced there in 2004/5, prior to being sold to its New Zealand owner.

Attachments

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The subject car has just undergone a 9-month transformation and is now a stunning red 'M8 lookalike' which was publicly unveiled last night.

A new 6.0 litre engine will very soon complete the package, and she will then weigh in at a very respectable 1200kgs.

Look forward to seeing her in action on track this summer.

Attachments

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am attending a special function for this car on Nov 21, by which time I believe she will have her new engine installed and be up and running.
I'll try and get the full spec list for you then.
Cheers.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Race day at Hampton Downs 19th Jan 2014

Last Sunday I attended day 2 of the first weekend of the 2014 NZ Festival of Motor Racing, at the Hampton Downs circuit south of Auckland.
This was the M8's second day of racing, and both car and owner/driver "Fearless Fearghus" were in fine fettle.
That is apart from a restrictive camshaft oil breather issue, which caused some smoking due to oil blow-by past the valves.
This has hopefully been remedied by the removal of the breathers and the addition of larger hoses to the breather tanks.

Here are some pictures taken with my point-and-shoot camera - sorry they're not the best quality.

Attachments

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The M8 was certainly in fine company, as this year's Festival is a celebration of Ferrari and there was a plethora of Maranello's finest in attendance.

On a related, but much sadder note, our thoughts and prayers go out to the great Michael Schumacher and his family.

Attachments

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Check out the August 2014 issue of BMW Car

For those who've not seen it yet, the M8 race car 'Venus' features in an article in the August 2014 issue of BMW Car Magazine.

·
Registered
127 Posts
For those who've not seen it yet, the M8 race car 'Venus' features in an article in the August 2014 issue of BMW Car Magazine.
Those are some mind-blowingly beautiful cars. The M8 story was fascinating... I wonder what the M brand would have become had they made such a race-focused car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts