BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my wife loves the e39 M5 so much, i think i'll just sell her truck and give her the M5. so i'm thinking of getting another car for me. been considering the e34 M5, or 850 6-speed.

but i want something somewhat reliable, yet somewhat rare. but around.. say $20K. i assumed the 850 are maintenance nightmares, but maybe not?

any comments on either the 850 or e34 M5? or other recommendations? i will probably end up with a modified Audi S4 if the two bimmers are too crazy to own.

thanks in advance.
James

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
SpiderSense said:
my wife loves the e39 M5 so much, i think i'll just sell her truck and give her the M5. so i'm thinking of getting another car for me. been considering the e34 M5, or 850 6-speed.

but i want something somewhat reliable, yet somewhat rare. but around.. say $20K. i assumed the 850 are maintenance nightmares, but maybe not?

any comments on either the 850 or e34 M5? or other recommendations? i will probably end up with a modified Audi S4 if the two bimmers are too crazy to own.

thanks in advance.
James
Not sure why you would want 2 full size 4 door high performace sedans like the M5's. The E34 is a much more direct/involved car, but the good ones (3.8L/6speed) were not imported here. You can occasionally find a federalzied one. Best year is the last, 95, comes in sedan and rare touring. I would expect the 850 (V12?) to be a maintenance nightmare, not sure about the V8's (840's?).
I like Audi's too, so you can't go wrong, especially for a winter car.
My $.02
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
It's a shame you don't get the Alpina B12 5.7 coupe in the States - Alfred's car was simply awesome:

If you're really interested in getting an 8 series, I suggest you check out this very useful site:

http://www.clube31.com/

:byebye:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
A guy I know from work sold his 840 due to reliability / cost issues (for what it's worth). Not sure too many people even know how to work on them.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Do the 850 for sure, the 6 speeds are very hard to find! I am currently shopping for an 850 here in Dubai, so my M5 can be promoted to a Garage Queen!!! The roadfly e31 message board is extremely helpful (can't say the same for the M5 section, I think çause all the good people are here.) There are some super halpful people in e31 land, and yes it can get expensive to fox, but the biggest probs in the e31 were electrics / fluids type stuff, the v12 engines are very reliable... good luck in your decision, and whatever you do....

STAY AWAY FROM AUDI!!! It will bring bad "karma" to your garage. :nono:

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
The 850 csi is still up around 70k to 80k, so i think thats a bit out of reach with your price range.

·
Registered
517 Posts
There isn't that much of a performance gap between the 3.6 and 3.8 M5's.
The good or bad thing about USA 3.6's is you don't have to deal w/ EDC shocks. I think it would be cool to have 2 generations of M5's. Trouble is the wife will probably like the E34 M5 better and you'll never get to drive. :cheers:

·
Registered
680 Posts
I have heard that maintenance on the 8-series, especially the 12 cylinders are very expensive.

I feel as though it's risky buying a 10 year old car knowing that it will cost a lot to keep it up if something goes wrong...

-Matthew

·
Registered
50 Posts
MT JTN said:
I have heard that maintenance on the 8-series, especially the 12 cylinders are very expensive.

I feel as though it's risky buying a 10 year old car knowing that it will cost a lot to keep it up if something goes wrong...

-Matthew
I would buy a 850. V12 power baby!!. Look at lots of exmaples, to see what you get for your money, and buy one which is in good condition. Then hopefully, it shouldn't go wrong

·
Registered
661 Posts
The 850 has had a reputation of being much more unreliable than the 840 and the maintenance for the V12 is much more expensive too. In a car of such age I woudn't touch an 850 with a 10 foot pole unless it's a 850CSI of course :D

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thats what i've been told, but started reading online and heard early 840s had engine issues and the 12 is better. not much performance gap etc. dunno. maintenance on an M5 and an 850 is probably not a good thing (i'll probably get it anyway. hehe)

thanks all.
James

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
SpiderSense said:
thats what i've been told, but started reading online and heard early 840s had engine issues and the 12 is better. not much performance gap etc. dunno. maintenance on an M5 and an 850 is probably not a good thing (i'll probably get it anyway. hehe)

thanks all.
James
Do early 840's use a variant of the old pre-'97 4.0L Nikasil 5er/7er motor? The cylinders wear into ovals at 90K miles or so and turn to junk, unless it was fed a strict diet of fuel from certain sources. You can't trust gas history in a used car purchase. Any V8 older than 1997 vintage is Nikasil (bad). Replacement service blocks for early 4.0L are all Alusil now, like the E39 540i and M5.

If Nikasil, it may be wise to steer clear.

·
2,492 Posts
Lscman said:
Do early 840's use a variant of the old pre-'97 4.0L Nikasil 5er/7er motor? The cylinders wear into ovals at 90K miles or so and turn to junk, unless it was fed a strict diet of fuel from certain sources. You can't trust gas history in a used car purchase. Any V8 older than 1997 vintage is Nikasil (bad). Replacement service blocks for early 4.0L are all Alusil now, like the E39 540i and M5.

If Nikasil, it may be wise to steer clear.
Yes. E31 840i's use the Nikasil M60B40, until 1996, when the Alusil M60B44 replaced it.

·
2,492 Posts
SpiderSense said:

thanks all.
James
Be prepared to spend some money on the E34 M5, more than the $20k you have budgeted. Do all the maintenance the car requires right away.

but the good ones (3.8L/6speed) were not imported here.
You can get a "good one" though grey market.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have also heard that the 850 is very expensive to maintain, essentially the cost of doing the work on two BMW 6-cylinders...everything is double. I believe that there was also a decent weight penalty with the 12 vs. the V8, which is the last thing the 8-series needed: more weight! I would get an 840, convert to stick (the auto tranny sux) and build the motor some...I guess you need to keep in mind that this was never intended to be a sports car.I've always loved the body style and they still turn my head to this day!

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Here's probably the best kept 1995 850 CSI with 12,500 miles!:cheers:

http://www.dupontregistry.com/search/srDetails.asp?itemid=202643&sessionkey={6DFC88D0-5905-4760-B15E-74117608F263}

·
2,492 Posts
Beamer_usa said:
Here's probably the best kept 1995 850 CSI with 12,500 miles!:cheers:

http://www.dupontregistry.com/search/srDetails.asp?itemid=202643&sessionkey={6DFC88D0-5905-4760-B15E-74117608F263}

Here is a cleaned-up link:
http://www.dupontregistry.com/search/srDetails.asp?itemid=202643

No, its probably not the best kept 850CSi. Low mileage means it might be clean, but it doesnt mean its the best kept. I know many other 850CSi right here in Colorado that are so badass...but here's an example of Greg Tessier's former CSi:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts