BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

After reading all about the transmission fluids, I went and got 2 1qt bottles of Royal Purple SynchroMax and have my mechanic put it in along with UUC SSK/DSSR and Rogue tranny mount.

The mechanic told me I mind as well as do a "full transmission service," and told me two qt is good enough for a "basic refill" that is more like "topping off." He said since a good amount of fluid is "trapped" within and will require a long time to drain, most people don't know really drain completely. He told me that I need another 6 qt!

Since the car is in the shop being worked on, I urgently grabbed another six bottles right away! :eek:

This mechanic is very honest and down to earth with my previous work. One example is few weeks ago he quoted me 5 hrs to do Dinan SIII suspension + strut tower brace (unlike Dinan indicated 16.5+hrs), and he did just that.

I'm just curious since all posts I've read here indicated no more than 2 1qt bottles were used. Is there such a thing as a basic refill versus a complete drain/fill? :confused: Or, is my mechanic not knowledgeable on M5's manual transmission?

·
10,445 Posts
I think your mechanic is thinking automatic tranmissions, when you change an auto trans oil, much of the oil is stuck in the torque converter. I don't think you could possibly put 8 qts of gear oil in the m5's manual trans.

·
Registered
444 Posts
mottati said:
I think your mechanic is thinking automatic tranmissions, when you change an auto trans oil, much of the oil is stuck in the torque converter. I don't think you could possibly put 8 qts of gear oil in the m5's manual trans.
Mike, you are a gentleman. I would have assumed something more nefarious was at work. I know from personal experience that the E39 M5 six-speed transmission can be filled with just shy of 2 qts. of fluid.

Regards, Dick Roberts

·
10,445 Posts
RRoberts said:
Mike, you are a gentleman. I would have assumed something more nefarious was at work. I know from personal experience that the E39 M5 six-speed transmission can be filled with just shy of 2 qts. of fluid.

Regards, Dick Roberts

SHH, i'm gonna bring my car to this guy's shop and get a freebie trans oil change with the leftover gear oil. There's still room for two more!

just kidding of course :cheers:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, for the explanation. I bet my mechanic got mixed up with automatic transmission. He's pretty honest. I assume tomorrow he's going to have problems jamming 8 qts of tranny fluid, unless it keeps draining underneath! :blabla:

·
Banned
44 Posts
Sounds like your mechanic is either dishonest or incompetent. Since you claim he is honest, what does that tell you?

The BMW ETK procedure for replacing the tranny fluid is to simply drain it via the drain plug, and fill via the fill plug. This will take no more than two (2) quarts of fluid.

~ DDB

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Once oil comes back out of the fill plug, he'll get the point and you can go return the other 6 quarts. Or keep them around for the next few flushes. Either way, 6 quarts are going to by lying around somewhere.
:cheers:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, just got back from the shop. The mechanic said he ended up using 3 1/2 bottles. Yep, so I have few extra bottles....

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
SandBeast said:
Ok, just got back from the shop. The mechanic said he ended up using 3 1/2 bottles. Yep, so I have few extra bottles....
That makes no sense at all unless he spilled 1.5 bottles on the floor! I've read the specifications and I've done the change with my own hands. Your transmission holds slightly LESS than 2 bottles of Royal Purple Synchromax. There's something else going on here. I'm guessing your mechanic is trying to save face by claiming an actual fluid requirement somewhere between his initial claim of 8 quarts and yours of 2 quarts.

Those of you who did this change yourself (and some who did it twice after being scared by LSCMAN into changing back) - did you use 2 bottles or 3.5 bottles?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DZeckhausen said:
That makes no sense at all unless he spilled 1.5 bottles on the floor! I've read the specifications and I've done the change with my own hands. Your transmission holds slightly LESS than 2 bottles of Royal Purple Synchromax. There's something else going on here. I'm guessing your mechanic is trying to save face by claiming an actual fluid requirement somewhere between his initial claim of 8 quarts and yours of 2 quarts.

Those of you who did this change yourself (and some who did it twice after being scared by LSCMAN into changing back) - did you use 2 bottles or 3.5 bottles?
I just checked with him, and he said some extra was needed because his pump requires it. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
SandBeast said:
I just checked with him, and he said some extra was needed because his pump requires it. Does that make sense?
Yes. It means he wasted 1.5 bottles of fluid. Some of that may have been running fluid through the pump in order to purge out the last type of fluid he pumped. The rest may have been left over in the pump resevoir when he was done. I'll bet he opened four bottles and didn't feel like pouring any fluid back into an open Royal Purple container when he was done.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DZeckhausen said:
Yes. It means he wasted 1.5 bottles of fluid. Some of that may have been running fluid through the pump in order to purge out the last type of fluid he pumped. The rest may have been left over in the pump resevoir when he was done. I'll bet he opened four bottles and didn't feel like pouring any fluid back into an open Royal Purple container when he was done.
Yep! 4 bottles. Thanks for the explanation!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts