BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I think next logical step in the E60 range should be adding the latest SMG gearbox to cheaper models.
Anyone has some inside info about possibility of fitting 7 speed SMG into upcoming 550i? I think that could be a really nice drive.
Or will they wait for the DSG-style box? Hopefully BMW will not continue fitting the old 6 speed SMGs since these are outdated now

·
Registered
188 Posts
Don't think there is a chance in hell they will ever fit SMG III to the 550i..

And as for this supposed ZSG gearbox.. we will have to wait and see..

I think maybe there ae two versions of this ZSG gearbox in development because as we discussed in the M1 test mule thread BMW M are developing SMG IV/ZSG for its next M cars.. and this gearbox is going to be hyper fast shifting and super smooth..

But also sources are saying there is a ZSG being developed for the 335i and 335d and 550i and 535d..

Maybe a calm version?? (like Audi) and the M version with the crazy no-clutch-rev-matching-F1style-super speed S6 program in the SMG IV/ZSG version.. and then ZSG style shift programs for the rest..??

·
Registered
248 Posts
6, 7 or 8 speed SMG... who cares.... It's manual or auto for me. :D

BWM should concentrate on putting the fun back into the e60 chassis. It is cold to the touch.... The e39 was an exciting car to drive.

I recommend using the suspension geometry from the old e39 and getting rid of the ARS. I don't even want to talk about the design as it is.... maybe tone down the front light eyebrow for starters....

360hp engine will be terriffic...My 545 SMG gives over 30 mpg on the highway. The new egine will do the same but with more power.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
You know... ARS is now optional... even with Sport... so that arguement is getting a bit old.

The suspension geometry in the E39 is far from ideal, the E60s run rings around them in that area. I'd rather see them get away from struts in general, especially in their current form.

·
Registered
248 Posts
vndkshn said:
You know... ARS is now optional... even with Sport... so that arguement is getting a bit old.

The suspension geometry in the E39 is far from ideal, the E60s run rings around them in that area. I'd rather see them get away from struts in general, especially in their current form.
Not on the 545i. See specs for sport pack. in US. You can visit bmwusa.com. I believe it is also included on 530i.
--------------------------
Sport suspension calibration
Active Roll Stabilization(ARS)
Active Steering with Servotronic power assist
18x 8.0 front, 18 x 9.0 rear Star Spoke(Styling 124) alloy wheels, 245/40R- 18 front, 275/35R-18 rear performance run-flat tires
Shadowline exterior trim
12-way power front sport seats with power adjustable thigh support
---------------------------
The 545i is faster in terms of racing. But on roads doing 60 mph, it is down right boring. The ARS almost negates any body roll. The computer drives the car and you just steer and brake. Not much fun there. The stiff suspension bounces over small bumps doing 10 mph.....

Pls drive both cars on the road and not a race track and you will see....
Or you can spend $65k........

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
greggb said:
Don't think there is a chance in hell they will ever fit SMG III to the 550i..

And as for this supposed ZSG gearbox.. we will have to wait and see..

I think maybe there ae two versions of this ZSG gearbox in development because as we discussed in the M1 test mule thread BMW M are developing SMG IV/ZSG for its next M cars.. and this gearbox is going to be hyper fast shifting and super smooth..

But also sources are saying there is a ZSG being developed for the 335i and 335d and 550i and 535d..

Maybe a calm version?? (like Audi) and the M version with the crazy no-clutch-rev-matching-F1style-super speed S6 program in the SMG IV/ZSG version.. and then ZSG style shift programs for the rest..??
Rumour has it that the 5 series will not be offered with SMG in the future. For now, it's either manual or auto. The first ZSG transmission will supposedly be offered on the 3 series in Europe. Evidently this is a 'calmer' version, and will be offered on the non 'M' cars. The 'M' cars will have SMG available for the near future.

I'll bet in the next few years, BMW will introduce a double clutch DSG type tranny in the 'M' cars that will give 'automatic smooth' shifting for normal driving, and 'super fast' and smooth shifting in the performance mode.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
M5_2010 said:
The 545i is faster in terms of racing. But on roads doing 60 mph, it is down right boring. The ARS almost negates any body roll. The computer drives the car and you just steer and brake. Not much fun there.
Wait a minute. Negating body roll is a bad thing??? Even setting aside any track use, when I am driving on an interstate at a relatively leisurely pace, I want as little body roll as possible because, if for no other reason, it is more comfortable if the car remains level.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
M5_2010 said:
Not on the 545i. See specs for sport pack. in US. You can visit bmwusa.com. I believe it is also included on 530i.
Sorry, meant AS, not ARS... my bad.
M5_2010 said:
The 545i is faster in terms of racing. But on roads doing 60 mph, it is down right boring. The ARS almost negates any body roll. The computer drives the car and you just steer and brake. Not much fun there. The stiff suspension bounces over small bumps doing 10 mph.....
I don't find it boring at all, even with AS and ARS. I do find AS a bit numb, but I actually like ARS. And, I don't find it rides any rougher than my 02 530, or my M5. I actually like that it takes the roll out of the car, because the cars without sport actually lean a bit too much for me. I find even my M5 leans a bit too much for my taste. I would love to have ARS on it.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Great color on that 550 in the picture. lovelove
The twin clutch setups make for awsome transmissions (drove an Audi TT 3.2 DSG and liked it), but almost all of the problems with SMG III can be solved with better programming. Everything is electronic, so why no program the correct lifts for shifts etc? Maybe program it so S5 and S6 allow you to keep the power in during the shift, but for anything else a programmed lift would smooth it out quite a lot.
What's wrong with ARS? I drove a 530 sport some time ago, and I was able to hit on ramps harder than I ever could in my E39, and that was my first time out in the car! The AS still had ok feedback, and I really liked the ratio changes. My Jetta leans like a drunken sailor, and it is really annoying. The less roll there is in a car the better, while the only downside I see is less sensation of speed.
Newer BMW's are losing their feedback, but that's been the truth for every generation. My E39 was a sensory deprivation chamber compared to our old E28, but once you got used to it the E39 talked to you well enough. Would the E39 kick the E28's butt up and down the road in every regard? Sure would, but sometimes the E28 was more fun to drive. I guess I should just own one of every generation 5 so I can have a car to fit my mood exactly.
:cheers:

·
Registered
248 Posts
vndkshn said:
Sorry, meant AS, not ARS... my bad.

I don't find it boring at all, even with AS and ARS. I do find AS a bit numb, but I actually like ARS. And, I don't find it rides any rougher than my 02 530, or my M5. I actually like that it takes the roll out of the car, because the cars without sport actually lean a bit too much for me. I find even my M5 leans a bit too much for my taste. I would love to have ARS on it.
I could be wrong but AS is also included in the sport package. You must be thinking about SMG. I got used to AS. It is a little numb in terms of feeling. I will not get it in the next Bimmer. However, the suspension of the 545i is just strange. Going around a turn and you hit a bump and the whole car skips? Strange. I got a loaner 3 series when I took my car in for service and the 3 series had no problem with the same road.... I actually enjoyed it more than the 545i sport. My e39 540i sport had no issues with bumps? The suspension with ARS should be avoided. The BMW dealer tells me it works better in the 750i.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts