BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been playing around with the two popular software options we have with inpa, since I still have my cats and need to have all the dtc’s to set for commiefornia rules, the 799 supports dtc’s and is basically the same performance as the more popular 639 program. Problem had been the high battery drain warning every morning. I’ve found a solution that actually works to eliminate this problem. Couldn’t believe how simple it is, so I’ve been trying to update my ccc in my car and have started to familiarize myself with ista-p. So after actually do a complete vehicle coding session and ista telling me all the DSC system needing to be replaced before coding could finish and just telling ista to continue updating then I finished the session and voila no more warning. I can be more specific if interested. I feel no differents in performance between the two different options btw.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still waiting on details... Did you change the VO? What modules did you recode?

Literally all I did was process the whole car in ista-p. When it told me that I need to change multiple DSC and related parts I continued the process by telling ista that I replaced them and then when ista couldn’t go any further I end the programming without replacing anything. I will admit I had the 639 in the dme when I did this. I was trying to get the most adapter to work on my icom so I can update my ccc. Also I’ve been having detonation problems and tired of buying octane boosters, so I decided to go back to the 799 and see if the 639 was causing it. I believe now if you have the euro in the dme, ista when processing the car will correct whatever is causing the high battery drain even though it says there’s modules that can’t be updated. I would have documented this better if I had known the outcome. As far as I can tell the high battery drain is caused by DSC when using 799

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still waiting on details... Did you change the VO? What modules did you recode?

I’m waiting on a new battery charger before I do coding again. Had two chargers hooked up to keep it at 13v. Super annoying and didn’t really work. I also have my settings right now to code with most. But honestly do a complete coding of car and see if you get the same results. I will warn that it took 2 hours to do though.

·
Administrator
3,854 Posts
It's been a while since I used ista-p. If I remember there are several columns for each module and you select which column (operation) on each module. Which columns did you choose?

One could recode with ncsexpert one module at a time and it won't take 2hrs. There's something else that you are having ista do.

And yeah you need a proper power supply. The car draws 40A or so with just the ignition switch on. Turn the fan manually off, radio and lights off to reduce draw.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's been a while since I used ista-p. If I remember there are several columns for each module and you select which column (operation) on each module. Which columns did you choose?

One could recode with ncsexpert one module at a time and it won't take 2hrs. There's something else that you are having ista do.

And yeah you need a proper power supply. The car draws 40A or so with just the ignition switch on. Turn the fan manually off, radio and lights off to reduce draw.

800$ for a voltage maintaining battery charger. But I work on enough bimmers to make it work. So when you start a new job in ista, bottom right will proccess car. After that it will have planned measures, if you accept the measures it will code the whole car. I think my language is right?

·
Administrator
3,854 Posts
Got it. I'll fire ista-p and see what I find using your steps.

FYI I got a used astron 50amp VS-50M adjustable power supply for ~$100. It's about $300 new if you need one asap. It's a linear power supply, so it has a massive 50lb+ transformer inside. The fancy switching supplies weigh nothing and are expensive and... well, fancy.

·
Registered
178 Posts
And yeah you need a proper power supply. The car draws 40A or so with just the ignition switch on.
I haven't done any flashing that takes a long time (just euro SMG), but I built a power supply based on this - https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1262137

I added the volt meter and will probably add a current meter at some point. It is rated 47A and cost me about $40 + time to build.

Not sure why my inline photo isn't showing up, here is a link - http://e36-electronic.com/photos/powerSupply.png

·
Registered
2008 M5 SMG
1 Posts
Bumping this old thread because I am having "high battery drain" every morning (with both 639 and 799) and decided going to try this... After spending ~2 days getting ISTA-P to run I finally have it, but reprocessing the car involves ISTA wanting to change the SMG and DME modules back to the factory software, so I haven't done it. Even if I unselect every module in the tree, it still decides that it wants to code DME back to factory.

I'm probably missing something here, but if anyone has been able to hang onto 799 or 639 and resolved "high battery drain" warnings every morning I'd love to know how. Have searched all over for info.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts