BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Quick funny story guys. So some friends of mine told me that they ran into this guy with a White M5 this past week at their apartment complex. They said the guy was this middle eastern looking younger kid and that when they asked him about his M5 he said that it was making 700HP to the crank. My friends told me this story last night and I told them that, that is simply not possible with only bolt on mods. My friends said that his exhaust tips looked stock as well. I also told my friends that the only way to make 700HP without a supercharger is to perhaps have a DINAN stroker combined with other bolt on mods, but the chances that my friends ran into a DINAN stroker M5 are slim to none. We are from the San Diego area and I know that there are less than a couple around here.

So I totally believe that this guy was just blowing smoke up my friends arses, but I just wanted to share this with the community because I think it's funny as hell. What do you all think?

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Yes it's very possible! Just remove that BMW engine and replace it with a Chevy LS6

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL! :biggrinbounce:

·
Registered
605 Posts
My old E60 M5 made 700HP and the engine bay looked completely stock... ASR Stage 3 nitrous kit... Exhaust was different tho...

·
Registered
343 Posts
My old E60 M5 made 700HP and the engine bay looked completely stock... ASR Stage 3 nitrous kit... Exhaust was different tho...
Really? How reliable was that set up? I am still new to the E60 so don't kill me for asking this question.
I have ran nitrous on other cars in the past and I always kept the jets on the low side to be safe.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It is called spray and pray - meaning you don't melt a piston and destroy the engine. You asked how to make 700HP with just bolt on parts - no mention of reliability along with that. Bottom line - making an M5 with 700HP is very expensive no matter which method is chosen to get there.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I looked at ASR's website to see their stage III kit. Pretty inexpensive to get that type of power.

·
Banned
95 Posts
My 525 makes nearly 700 wheel hp but I can't imagine an E60 M5 doing it without serious, serious work. Especially not without FI. You'd need to maintain about 400 ft lb of torque to 8200 or so for those kind of numbers.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
High compression motors are not easy to force induce!

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I think he was probably exaggerating. Even with a Dinan Stroker and other mods, I don't think it would hit 700 bhp. Maybe with nitrous, but I doubt this dude had that either. He probably just thought your friend would not know that 700 horsepower from an NA M5 is not very likely, so he decided to exaggerate.

afc1
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
for 800 h.p....you can fork out 50-60 grand....

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think he was probably exaggerating. Even with a Dinan Stroker and other mods, I don't think it would hit 700 bhp. Maybe with nitrous, but I doubt this dude had that either. He probably just thought your friend would not know that 700 horsepower from an NA M5 is not very likely, so he decided to exaggerate.

afc1
<INPUT id=gwProxy type=hidden><!--Session data--><INPUT id=jsProxy onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" type=hidden>

Haha, exaggerate or straight up lie! Now I'll admit that I have exaggerated my car's horsepower before as a joke. I always get people who know nothing about M5's asking whether or not my M5 is supercharged because they see my RPI Oil Cooler and think that it's some sort of Intercooler. So after getting so many people asking me this, I decided to give up trying to explain and just say yes it's Supercharged and it makes 900HP, but then I always say haha no just kidding, it's not supercharged, what are you crazy? Don't you know anything about M5's? I think this guy whoever he was with his White M5 was just blowing smoke. I'd like to see him race my RPI Stage 2 M5 and then see him talk. :D

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Getting 700 HP out of a V10 engine might be possible, but the whole engine would need to be rebuilt and it would not be cheap.

Mahle Pistons, Over Sized Valve Stems, Arrow Connecting Rods, Schrick Cams, Upgraded Oil Pump, MLS Head Gasket, 5 to 1 equal length headers and the like should make an NA V10 that could make that kind of power.

·
Banned
95 Posts
You wouldn't want over sized valve stems - they obstruct air flow. You want as small as a valve stem as possible. It removes obstruction in the port as well as weight from the valvetrain.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
You wouldn't want over sized valve stems - they obstruct air flow. You want as small as a valve stem as possible. It removes obstruction in the port as well as weight from the valvetrain.
Do tell what you've done to get nearly 700 RWHP from a 2.5L inline 6. :)

-b.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts