BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to build a seven-speed manual?
I was just wondering ... If it's a stupid question you can say it and I will completely agree that I know the basics of a car, but advanced technology is a bit advanced for me :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
You can.

But what for?

As far as im concerned people who get smg go for max performance and track use.
(Well, actually most go for smg because there is no auto option, but thats another story....)

People who get manual want more fun and driver satisfaction.

Will 7th gear add to any of those?

Maybe. Maybe not.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Sure, there is no reason you can't build a 7 speed manual. There are transmissions out there with even more than 7 gears, its all a question of do they want to build one, and are they willing to put forth the engineering effort for it?

I for one would love it if they did.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it would be fantastic a seven-speed man in the new M5. I have a manual now on my M3, and I really like a clutch and a stick more than some paddles. In the beginning I thought that the SMG formula 1 one thing would be the best around, but I'm very glad I chose the manual (BTW my GF's opinion was the same as mine, I really thought she would be a fan of the paddles. I can start making jokes about handling a stick, but I'm gonna leave it :) ). IMO a manual just gives that bit extra to the driving experience. Although in city traffic, an SMG is great ofcourse...

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
How do you figure it has to be bigger than the existing SMG3 transmission? Might want to think that one over again.....

·
Registered
248 Posts
I would think that 6-speed would work better as the M5 is way low on torque....
I can't wait for my 6-speed.... another year and a half to go.... :confused3
Hopefully, they will tone down the front light eyebrows....

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
M5_2010 said:
I would think that 6-speed would work better as the M5 is way low on torque....
While it's not way low on torque, the 7-speed SMG helps it get its copious power to the wheels better than can a 6-speed manual.

Tom

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Right, but we don't yet know really how BMW will do this for the stick shift. What gear ratios are used, etc? Will they do a 6 speed and keep the SMG rations for 1-5.... ? Time will tell.

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
vndkshn said:
How do you figure it has to be bigger than the existing SMG3 transmission? Might want to think that one over again.....
Take a look at the design of the SMG3 transmission before thinking a traditional manual wouldn't be bigger. ;)

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I don't think it would be THAT much bigger, if any at all... no way would it be "huge".

One thought just came to mind... if the manual is really only for the US market, do they really need the 7 speeds? 7th would be for very high speed (which can't be reached here very often) and for highway cruising. They may decide to take a fuel hit and go with 6.

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
The decision is already made from what I understand -- if they definitely provide a manual box in the E60 M5, it will be a 6-speed.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
If I were designing the 6-speed manual, I would leave the 1-4 ratios very close to what they are in the SMG for performance, and then widely space 5 and 6 for different levels of cruise/overdrive.

Tom

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Well, I finally made that decision that had been lurking for many months now.. I am going to pass on SMG3. Another drive of a M3 SMG2 answered it once and for all. So, I voted with my wallet, although the money (just less of it) still goes to BMW. I am replacing the 530 with a 05 ZCP M3 (with manual of course) which is week 26 or 27 production, and the dealer says I should get in early to mid August at the Performance Center. And the jury is still out on the M5.. it might just go back at the end of its lease.

Hopefully BMW will do the right thing and release the manual E60 M5 in a timely fashion.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts