Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often do you use your 6th gear?

Just curious because I rarely use mine....:7:

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
My car objects if you try 6th at anything less than 70mph!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I say I spend most of my time in 6th gear from all of the commuting I do.

·
Registered
12,932 Posts
M5Brazil said:
How often do you use your 6th gear?

Just curious because I rarely use mine....:7:
Since I added headers, the car seems to pull much easier/better in every gear so I can use a higher gear than before. I use 6th at about 55-60 mph on the highway, unless I am in a hurry! :hihi:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
120 Posts
I constantly use it. I do a lot of high rpm 4th to 6th smoothly. I like keeping the rpms as low as possible but I am always cruising at 100-

·
Registered
236 Posts
It is there, it is free and so I use it, motorways and dual carriageways. :blink: .

It is like having a wife/girlfriend and not fornicating with her :) .

Pip
Ps However would not reccommend it on motorways and dual carriageways :blink: .

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Some days I use only the Odd Gears: 1, 3, 5

Other days I use only the Even Gears: 2, 4, 6

:noSMG:

Occasionally, I'll drive the whole day in reverse...

no, not really.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since I live near work and there is pretty much traffic in the way, I haven`t the opportunity to use it on a dayly basis. That is so sad.....??????

Always praying for the weekend to come sooner...:1:

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
A lot. The engine has such a broad torque band that it easily handles 6th at 65-70 mph. It won't leap forward in that gear at that speed but pulls plenty well. Doesn't yours? :cheers:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
It's true what you said about the broad band torque!hiha And although that ins't the perfect gear at the 70mph speed it still pulls pretty well!:hihi:

·
Registered
236 Posts
As this post seems to be going that way I may as well use this post to ask does anyone here use the accelerator pedal :haha2: :haha2: ? It is just that sometimes I do not and just leave the car in the garage ;) .

Pip

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
6th gear is great for my highway commuting, it helps a bit with gas mileage:flag:

·
Registered
12,932 Posts
Pip said:
As this post seems to be going that way I may as well use this post to ask does anyone here use the accelerator pedal :haha2: :haha2: ? It is just that sometimes I do not and just leave the car in the garage ;) .

Pip
In my part of the world, most highways are usually congested and cruising at 70-80 is easy in 6th, plenty of power. If I am trying to make time and the road is open, simply drop down one gear (or 2!) for real power. Now, about those those pedals down by my feet, which one is the accelerator? :1: cherrsagai
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Pip said:

Pip
Hey Pip
I have found no need to use the far right pedal when in 6th and attempting to pull out of the garage in the mornings. Quite a different story however when it comes time to back in at night. hmmm
Ken

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Like most folks, use 6-th gear on highways when doing above 60+ mph (and that's in the cases when I am cruising, and not leaving carbon deposits in other people's windshields ;) ). Also, right at that RPM range (mid 2000s) the SuperSprint exhaust has a really bassy growl that's just music for the ears... lovelove

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
My beater 540i has an automatic, and I noticed the revs are generally below 2000rpm until I get up some speed on the highway... Since I've been impressed with the gas mileage with the 540i, I thought I'd try an 'economy' run just for fun to see how economically the M5 could be driven. I'm averaging nearly 22 mpg around town keeping the revs down, which means getting into 6th gear frequently. I'm a lazy shifter routinely, and usually go 1-3-5 and then 6th unless I wanna have some fun...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts