BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
'22 X5 M50i, '12 E92 M3, '08 E60 M5
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So finally picked up the car today from the 6MT swap. Car drives great, but there's a couple of codes left over that the shop wasn't sure what to do with and suggested I take it home and we finish up remotely (which I was all for). I'm assuming the DSC button one is because I don't have the DSC button plugged in right now (would be weird for that to cause actual issues, but who knows?). I'm confused why it's looking for both a manual and an SMG acceleration sensor, and why it's not seeing the manual one. Shop swears up and down that they did the wiring right, but I'll verify that in a bit...

Font Rectangle Material property Publication Technology

· Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh and the dsc button wiring must be reversed. The dsc right now thinks the button is in at all times.

Thought you said that shop had done this before but could be wrong...
so it's not the fact that the button is currently unplugged?

and ... 🤷‍♂️ yeah. i don't want to bash the shop too much, so i'll just leave it at that.

· Registered
300 Posts
I recall something to do with pinout changes for the DSC/MDM button when going from SMG to 6MT, tho IIRC the wiring diagrams are vague. As luck would have it I can pinout my factory 6MT harness for confirmation.
Did you sub in a proper MDM button or perhaps a non-M DSC button? Rather than just the PDC that I believe is standard for SMG?
Andy

· Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I left it unplugged because I was hoping to keep the original buttons (and the power button specifically) and just route them into a custom oddments tray. Sounds like the pin outs are different though and that won’t work.

· Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I left it unplugged because I was hoping to keep the original buttons (and the power button specifically) and just route them into a custom oddments tray. Sounds like the pin outs are different though and that won’t work.
so plugged the old buttons in, and the power and EDC buttons do still work (EDC lights toggle, i didn't drive it to verify behavior change; power button makes the RPM go up while holding throttle steady). the DSC button does not, but i think that's because I'm an idiot and told Zimmie that I have an MDM button which I do not (was thinking of the M button on the steering wheel). It must be programmed to expect an MDM button now instead of the DSC button.

· Registered
300 Posts
I found the thread I was thinking of. It's a little more clear that I remember.

OP of the linked thread did a 6MT swap in an 07, so that's where I got confused.

It would be good to check with the shop to ensure they moved p4 to p30 on the DSC module, and p41 to p4 to use your old switch. I presume your DSC module was coded with S2MA.

DSC and MDM buttons won't matter. When I still had my M5 together I swapped in a DSC switch from my 535 wagon and still had MDM light up on the dash (and no coding). I think 6MT swap guys perhaps have some issues with using the PDC switch but not sure. The "switch center" module gets the LIN BUS signal from both L and R switches via p1 (for both SMG and 6MT), so maybe the PDC switch has a unique LIN message whereas DSC/MDM is a common message.

Reactions: kolosy

· Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found the thread I was thinking of. It's a little more clear that I remember.

OP of the linked thread did a 6MT swap in an 07, so that's where I got confused.

It would be good to check with the shop to ensure they moved p4 to p30 on the DSC module, and p41 to p4 to use your old switch. I presume your DSC module was coded with S2MA.

DSC and MDM buttons won't matter. When I still had my M5 together I swapped in a DSC switch from my 535 wagon and still had MDM light up on the dash (and no coding). I think 6MT swap guys perhaps have some issues with using the PDC switch but not sure. The "switch center" module gets the LIN BUS signal from both L and R switches via p1 (for both SMG and 6MT), so maybe the PDC switch has a unique LIN message whereas DSC/MDM is a common message.
hm. interesting -- not sure what wiring changes were done (presumably "all" of them), but the SMG DSC button doesn't work. the PDC button does activate PDC as expected...

· Registered
235 Posts
so plugged the old buttons in, and the power and EDC buttons do still work (EDC lights toggle, i didn't drive it to verify behavior change; power button makes the RPM go up while holding throttle steady). the DSC button does not, but i think that's because I'm an idiot and told Zimmie that I have an MDM button which I do not (was thinking of the M button on the steering wheel). It must be programmed to expect an MDM button now instead of the DSC button.
I don't actually know the coding side of things but my shop has taken care of a few similar coding issues I had with my swap. Part of the problem you are probably having with the buttons is probably that the manual cars don't have a power or DSC button but do have an EDC button (at least my replacement center console is like this). One thing I discovered is that on the manuals the button under the radio that is a tire pressure reset button is a MDM button on the manual and lo and behold after all the modules had been coded to a 6MT my tire pressure reset button now turns on the MDM. The DSC took a while to figure out as (according to my shop) the car had to be re-coded to think it was newer since they had not made a 6MT at the time of my cars production. I can go into the M settings menu and select DSC off as one of the traction control settings for M mode when I was not able to do that previously. If you go into the M mode settings and there is no option for DSC off then something probably hasn't been completely coded to the 6MT data.

· Registered
Bmw e64 M6 Bmw e85 Z4M Bmw e84 X1
16 Posts
So finally my MDM button is working. Just connected 12V on Pin #6 at the DSC unit. Seems like the mdm button for facelift cars is working through CAN-bus. Took Pin #4 from X10516, which is the old power button(S534a) and wired it up.
As last step I decoded the TPMS option and threw the unit out of the car. Now I can drive a manual M6 without error messages 🎉
Maybe this will help. Worked on my 07 e64 facelift.

· Registered
3,067 Posts
If you double clicked on the faults we would have extra info.

Without much knowledge on this swap since the time to install my M3 6 speed gearbox to the S85 on my project car not yet arrived.

By just looking at the fault codes I would first question the shop if they pinned the longitudinal signal wiring pins from the SMG control unit connector to the DME connector since on the SMG car the longitudinal sensor does report and connected directly to the SMG control unit, on the manual car the longitudinal sensor is connected to the DME, if not that what you would initially do.

· Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
If you double clicked on the faults we would have extra info.

Without much knowledge on this swap since the time to install my M3 6 speed gearbox to the S85 on my project car not yet arrived.

By just looking at the fault codes I would first question the shop if they pinned the longitudinal signal wiring pins from the SMG control unit connector to the DME connector since on the SMG car the longitudinal sensor does report and connected directly to the SMG control unit, on the manual car the longitudinal sensor is connected to the DME, if not that what you would initially do.
it looks like they just didn't get the coding right. ZiMMie helped me out and it's all working now (except the DSC button stuff, which is a separate issue).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts