BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just wanted to ask around if people with the 6MT are having trouble with smooth operation. I've driven MT cars all my life, but the clutch engagement point on my '08 seems vague and variable. This is only on 1st gear slow takeoffs.

It helps to be in "M" mode as throttle response, though quicker, is much more linear. Maybe someone who understands the system better can explain, but it feels like there is something electronic between the pedals and clutch??

I've had this car for about a year as the 3rd owner with only 29k mi and don't know how hard the previous owners were on the clutch. But I don't notice any slipping, just an inconsistent engagement.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
It's been ok in my 6MT. I've had it for years now and so far so good. It's even smoother now with my zhp knob change.

Dan

·
Registered
431 Posts
I bought my car with a bad clutch and replaced it right away so its always been new for me. The only time I had issues was when I had my Sprint Booster set to red mode, other wise its been quite smooth and consistent.

It's been ok in my 6MT. I've had it for years now and so far so good. It's even smoother now with my zhp knob change.

Dan
You did the install finally? Be careful, I have pulled mine of twice now when trying to hit 2nd. This last time it pulled the wires right out of the knob and now it no longer lights up :sad3:

·
Registered
354 Posts
I bought my car with a bad clutch and replaced it right away so its always been new for me. The only time I had issues was when I had my Sprint Booster set to red mode, other wise its been quite smooth and consistent.

You did the install finally? Be careful, I have pulled mine of twice now when trying to hit 2nd. This last time it pulled the wires right out of the knob and now it no longer lights up :sad3:
i notice a lag with the 6mt and want to get the sprint booster to solve that issue. whats wrong with the SB in red mode?

·
Registered
431 Posts
i notice a lag with the 6mt and want to get the sprint booster to solve that issue. whats wrong with the SB in red mode?
The throttle was WAY to sensitive causing 2 scenarios. either I had to launch the car like i am trying to race just to get off the line smoothly or if i tried to feather it i would get in a feedback loop. its hard to describe but basically it was a very violent jerking of the drive train binding up and my foot not being able to control the throttle position.

I should mention I also have a tune which also increased my throttle sensitivity. Just the SB alone you should be fine or if you have a lightning fast reflexes with your right foot.

·
Registered
DinanS2+ e60m5 6MT, s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,263 Posts
I'm at 89,000 miles on my current clutch. I've never had any issues with engagement or smoothness.

I've seen a bunch of track days, but I'm not hard on the clutch.

What I have noticed, I replaced my differential about 6,000 miles ago, and my shifting/engagement is even smoother. My 4 to 2 and 3 to 2 downshifts are butter every time.

·
Registered
422 Posts
No issues here, butter smooth on my end all around, even after adding the 3.91 diff. Adding the ZHP shift knob adds to the fun factor.

·
Registered
70 Posts
No engagement problems here. My only concern on my 2008 6MT is an occasional lag on the throttle where I step down, there is a pause, and then she takes off. It's less evident in M mode and I'm told it should be even better when I get the Evolve tune. I've got DINAN stage 1 for now.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
No engagement problems here. My only concern on my 2008 6MT is an occasional lag on the throttle where I step down, there is a pause, and then she takes off. It's less evident in M mode and I'm told it should be even better when I get the Evolve tune. I've got DINAN stage 1 for now.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I have a Dinan Stage 1 tune and had Dinan 3.91...

My "lag" went away when I replaced my Dinan 3.91 with a Blanton 3.91. For me, it was the diff, not the tune, that caused a lag.

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
I have a Dinan Stage 1 tune and had Dinan 3.91...

My "lag" went away when I replaced my Dinan 3.91 with a Blanton 3.91. For me, it was the diff, not the tune, that caused a lag.
Did you lose trust in the Dinan 3.91 gears?

·
Registered
354 Posts
sometimes i have issues going into 2nd and even 5th on hard runs. i tend to think that maybe i didn't fully engage the clutch.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts

·
Registered
6,263 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For those using a Sprint Booster, is it to improve throttle response in regular mode, or make M-mode more aggressive?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts