BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I changed my MT gear oil today using the BMW recommended fluid. The kit I bought from ECS had 3 Liters. I’d say it only took roughly 2.2 L.

I had the car level and drained it fully. I was surprised that I barely used any of the gear oil in 3rd container. Does that seem right?

The gear oil was pretty black at 40k miles.

As a side note, I changed the differential fluid and it was very clean looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That volume sounds right. That's about what most of BMW's 6-speeds take.

Oil being black at 40k is a bit surprising.

Thanks for confirming the volume.

In regards to the color, it was definitely dirty looking oil. The car shifts about the same (great)both before and after the oil change so I guess all I can say is that it’s good I changed it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just recently changed mine as well; the proper way to do it as per BMW TIS:

1) Drain both the drain plug and the filter/screen by the front subframe.

2) Activate transmission pump via DIS or ISTA (I have both but I couldn't find the activation screen, but i could find it for e90/e92 m3); therefore, i use an electrical wire connected to a 12v to manually activate the pump for 30 seconds.

3) Filled it until it started to pour from the fill hole; wait till it stopped pouring then activate the pump while you started filling again until it started to pour then you wait till it stopped again.

I ended up used about 2.6-2.7L.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just recently changed mine as well; the proper way to do it as per BMW TIS:

1) Drain both the drain plug and the filter/screen by the front subframe.

2) Activate transmission pump via DIS or ISTA (I have both but I couldn't find the activation screen, but i could find it for e90/e92 m3); therefore, i use an electrical wire connected to a 12v to manually activate the pump for 30 seconds.

3) Filled it until it started to pour from the fill hole; wait till it stopped pouring then activate the pump while you started filling again until it started to pour then you wait till it stopped again.

I ended up used about 2.6-2.7L.

That is for the SMG right ? As far as I know there is no pump for manual transmission, which is what I have on my car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts