BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Price seems too much.

from the article:
Bimmer's performance and output from 560 horsepower and 502 lb-ft of torque to a mind-blowing 675 hp and 644 lb-ft, all without voiding warranty or risking long-term reliability.

10 pictures and full article

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
That's a ridiculous price.

Biggest single item seems to be those wheels but even those are way over priced at $1500 per wheel.

Those kind of performance enhancements are available for 15% of that price.

·
Registered
984 Posts
That's the $inan way.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
the extra hp is less than $10k
I thought it was $14k as wheels are $6k? Guess their may be other trinkets in the kit I'd missed:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I thought it was $14k as wheels are $6k? Guess their may be other trinkets in the kit I'd missed:)
Yeah, the suspension stuff. The CAI is $3k, the exhaust is $3k and the DTronics is $3750 so $9750 for the extra HP. I also bought a set of Noelle High Flow Down Pipes which supposedly gets me 21hp more. Steve Dinan has them on his car. Overall, it is a great combination. The sound is good and the power is noticeable. I have money to spend on this kind of thing though since I have a hole in the ground from which money comes up at high speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHN9lNRnoPM

That is a 500 barrel tank I am putting my hand on and that is the excess gas and condensate that normally gets scrubbed. The well was just brought in and the scrubber wasn't up when the video was shot.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yeah, the suspension stuff. The CAI is $3k, the exhaust is $3k and the DTronics is $3750 so $9750 for the extra HP. I also bought a set of Noelle High Flow Down Pipes which supposedly gets me 21hp more. Steve Dinan has them on his car. Overall, it is a great combination. The sound is good and the power is noticeable. I have money to spend on this kind of thing though since I have a hole in the ground from which money comes up at high speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHN9lNRnoPM

That is a 500 barrel tank I am putting my hand on and that is the excess gas and condensate that normally gets scrubbed. The well was just brought in and the scrubber wasn't up when the video was shot.
I am thinking about the Dtronics tune, it seems worth the $3.7K to gain 100HP. I cannot see spending another $6K for the intake and exhaust to get maybe 20 more HP? I put some BMC air filters in for $180 (and a frustrating hour installing them) and they claim a 10 HP gain. The wheels look good but I am not sure why they are so expensive? I can put a similar HRE wheel on that is TUV approved for $2500.

So, you are happy with the Dtronics?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am thinking about the Dtronics tune, it seems worth the $3.7K to gain 100HP. I cannot see spending another $6K for the intake and exhaust to get maybe 20 more HP? I put some BMC air filters in for $180 (and a frustrating hour installing them) and they claim a 10 HP gain. The wheels look good but I am not sure why they are so expensive? I can put a similar HRE wheel on that is TUV approved for $2500.

So, you are happy with the Dtronics?
Yes, I am but I haven't been able to fully test it out because of the heat here. I want to run some quarters in cooler weather. It is definitely faster based on measured data that suggests about 70hp gain. I use ET and trap speed from quarter mile runs to assess my hp gains. I think you need the CAI to get the full benefit of the DTronics, make sure to check that on their website.

·
Registered
154 Posts
You can get the same hp for 2 grand max. Dinan caters to older men who are afraid to be without a warranty. Want performance? Go elsewhere.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dinan stage 1 upgrade

I just had the stage 1 upgrade installed. I really could not feel any difference at all. I called Dinan and expressed my disappointment in the program. The Dinan rep said that while their stated hp of 666 was correct after the install of their piggyback upgrade, the 91 hp increase was misleading. They state that BMW has grossly under rated the hp on the competition package. They feel its more in the 625 hp range, so a very modest increase is realized with their stage 1 upgrade. The Dinan rep actually apologized and informed me that they are not only changing their web page to reflect a more conservative increase but they are actually working on a remap on their stage 1 package to improve the hp gain. They offered me a free upgrade on their revised remap when it becomes available. I know their products are quite expensive but was impressed with them addressing this issue and really believe that Dinan is trying to correct a problem.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Dinan is such a joke. I don't understand why people will blow their cash on stuff that hardly serves a better purpose than the original parts! Once in a while they show up with something cool, but usually, not.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You can get the same hp for 2 grand max. Dinan caters to older men who are afraid to be without a warranty. Want performance? Go elsewhere.
Depends on if you can really afford performance. The M5 is a great car but it's not the top performance car. If you can't make it perform better then you have to buy more. I got as much performance out of my M5 as I could in the way I wanted to with the stuff I bought. I also bought the expensive Noelle High Flow Downpipes to avoid getting the CEL that all the other non OEM parts will produce. Again, I spent more for a good reason. I bought my 991 TTS because it is much more performance and the price tag reflected that but I did shop around and got a really good deal.

I will run my 991 TTS against anyone's BMS piggyback, wanna race? It's nice to have the dealer fix any problems with the product at no effort and cost to me which they did when my DTronics quit working. I bought my M5 back in May '13 and I bought the tire insurance. Within 3 weeks I had a screw in the left rear, replaced under warranty. This last June, I got both rears replaced under warranty. One had developed a bulb on the rim due to going through a pothole and the other had picked up a nail. Warranties are not for old men, they are for people who know there are risks and so are more like insurance. You can buy something without a warranty and pay for it when it breaks. Which ends up costing more, guess you will figure that out somewhere down the road.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,201 Posts
The DINAN exhaust & intakes is not overpriced, its roughly the same price as other aftermarket alternatives.
The Piggyback is grossly priced compared to BMS.
DINAN did spend over a year attempting to write a proper tune but wasn't able to.
I wouldn't be surprised if they spent over a million dollars attempting to do so.
The rims are probably marked up slightly but I've seen rims go for around $10K for the F10 M5.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The DINAN exhaust & intakes is not overpriced, its roughly the same price as other aftermarket alternatives.
The Piggyback is grossly priced compared to BMS.
DINAN did spend over a year attempting to write a proper tune but wasn't able to.
I wouldn't be surprised if they spent over a million dollars attempting to do so.
The rims are probably marked up slightly but I've seen rims go for around $10K for the F10 M5.
I think the rims are reasonable and pretty good looking. I liked the MORR V70 I think it was and they are $8k IIRC. Both are forged which is what you want to have.

The piggyback is more expensive than BMS for sure and it may or may not do more, the jury is still out there. I think Dinan was hoping to crack the ECU but like everyone else, they failed. I see this is an issue for BMW. I personally will not buy another BMW because they have the arbitrary limiter and they are making it too difficult to tune the car but I will keep my M5. I am going to get the GIAC tune for my 991 and I am going to put on the Brombacher headers.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the DINANTRONICS™ Performance Tuner Stage 1 for my F12 and with my set up it is an absolute beast I have around 657 whp. Defiantly worth the money.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts