BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got some summary specifications from the dealer, which I thought I'll put up, in light of the new 650i. It seems to me the 650i is not a bad runner.

I'm lazy to re-type everything, so the following relates to the coupe versions.

645Ci 650i M6
Layout/cyclinders/valves V8/4 V8/4 V10/4
Capacity cc 4398 4799 4999
Tramsmission Auto 6 Auto 6 SMG 7
Power output kW/rpm 245/6100 270/6300 373/7750
Max torque Nm/rpm 450/3600 490/3400 520/6100
Acceleration 0-100km/h 5.8secs 5.5secs 4.6secs
Weight (kerb) 1620kg 1640kg 1710kg
Fuel consumption 10.9 11.1 14.8

The 650i is theoretically less than 1 second behind the M6. Wow! Dealer said comfort access is now available as an option in all new model E63's from 2006.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
What is comfort access? I doubt the US market will get it whatever it is.

Also, are there any more changes to the 650Ci? I'd like to know if active steering can be excluded with sport packages and if any M6 features such as limited slip, improved SMG, or the special HUD are available.

·
Registered
904 Posts
"The 650i is theoretically less than 1 second behind the M6. Wow!"

A second of time is a very long time when you're talking these kinds of numbers. An example that might add clarity is this; take a second off the M6 time of 4.6 making it 3.6 and look at the cars that compete in this arena. Cars that come to mind are the Carerra GT, Enzo, and the McLaren just to name a few. It takes a heck of a lot of money to make this incremental step. The step between 10.6 seconds and 9.6 second, for example, doesn't cost so much.

All that said, the 650 is a relative bargain when compared to the M6 for a majority of the drivers who will buy these cars, me included. I will probably never take the M6 car to its limits and use all that it has to offer. For that matter, the same will most likely apply to the 650 as well. So on a value play it makes virtually no sense for me to buy an M6, but I'll do it anyways??????.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
MaxTimeOff said:

A second of time is a very long time when you're talking these kinds of numbers. An example that might add clarity is this; take a second off the M6 time of 4.6 making it 3.6 and look at the cars that compete in this arena. Cars that come to mind are the Carerra GT, Enzo, and the McLaren just to name a few. It takes a heck of a lot of money to make this incremental step. The step between 10.6 seconds and 9.6 second, for example, doesn't cost so much.

All that said, the 650 is a relative bargain when compared to the M6 for a majority of the drivers who will buy these cars, me included. I will probably never take the M6 car to its limits and use all that it has to offer. For that matter, the same will most likely apply to the 650 as well. So on a value play it makes virtually no sense for me to buy an M6, but I'll do it anyways??????.
I agree, the new engine will make the 650 a better car than the 645, but it won't really bring it any closer to the M6. The M6 is in a different class, just as the Enzo or the Carrera GT are in a different class. The 650 will be a great car, it's just not in the same league as the M6.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Richard in NC said:
What is comfort access? I doubt the US market will get it whatever it is.

Also, are there any more changes to the 650Ci? I'd like to know if active steering can be excluded with sport packages and if any M6 features such as limited slip, improved SMG, or the special HUD are available.
Comfort access means you press a button (or something) on your "key" as you approach your car and the door opens automatically. Great when your hands are carrying shopping/grocery ;) , the boot can be opened as you approach without dropping everything.

HUD now standard (at least here in Oz).

I agree the 650i is a better deal than the 645Ci (discontinued end of August). For an extra Aust$5,000 only you get extra 25kW, HUD standard now, high beam assist, DSC + . But Idon't think you get limited slip. Also, start/stop button is standard.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Comfort Access does not require you to press anything to unlock the car. As long as the key is in your pocket the action of grasping the door handle unlocks the car. You lock the car/fold up mirrors/close windows & convertible top by touching the handle or in the case of locking simply walk away from the car with the key in your pocket.

Tim

·
Registered
10 Posts
MaxTimeOff said:

Wow the M6 goes from 0-60 in 4.6 sec? never knew that but I just did some research on Vehix and found out the M3 goes from 0-60 in 4.7 sec. If this is true shouldnt you save money and buy a m3 lol???? if you are buying this car for its performance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
MaxTimeOff said:

Wow the M6 goes from 0-60 in 4.6 sec? never knew that but I just did some research on Vehix and found out the M3 goes from 0-60 in 4.7 sec. If this is true shouldnt you save money and buy a m3 lol???? if you are buying this car for its performance.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2009 M6 Coupe 24000 miles Saphire Black
1,797 Posts
M6LoverM6 said:

:thumbsup:
No the factory claim is 4,6, they are tested faster.
Also that is for the 0-62 mph not 0-60..... I belive to have seen 4,3sec or so for the 0-62, that should be very low 4 sec for the 0-60 mph.....

The M6 is about half a sec faster than the average M3 to 62 mph and from then on the distance gets huge..............

1 - 9 of 9 Posts