BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Having put over 130,000 on my last 2 E39 M5's,
I cannot get used to the SMG.
I have put 6000 miles on in the last 3 months, its my daily driver.
I have found that the paddle shifters are occasionally used. I never drive with 2 hands on the wheel anyway.

I know I could never shift as fast as the SMG under full acceleration, but I am kinda bummed about having to reset the shift button everytime I get in the car.
The E60 has so much over the E39, as far as luxury and electronics, and even handling, but I really liked the driving experience better in the E39.
Where I felt I was the master of the E39, I am nowhere close to feeling that in the E60.
6 quarts of oil in 6000 miles is ridiculous, I dont care what BMW says. Thanks to the BMW maintenance plan, I dont have to pay for the oil.

I rarely rev past 6k rpm, 50 miles round trip commute each weekday, averaging 13.5 mpg.

Just wanted to post after 5,000 miles with my opinion.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I also just picked up an 08 in Monaco Blue, but I have only put 1,000 miles so far but I understand what you mean, you gut me wondering now
:confused:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Give it time my friend...it will grow in you one way or the other...SMG is very refined and when properly used it can be lots of fun and FAST!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
3 year

I better get used to it, I have a 3 year lease :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hmmm this is quite a rare occurence with regards to SMG. Most people find it tricky for the first few weeks/months but very quickly get used to and come to love it, and many probably prefer it to the traditional manual.

Perhaps the fact that your commute doesn't really give you the chance to use the car the way it was designed should be factored in, but I guess there will always be some people who just don't click with the car for whatever reason. I'm making the assumption that you don't get to push your car a whole lot, but maybe you should get out there on the weekends and thrash her about a bit and drive her the way she likes to be driven. :) :M5rev: :M5launch:

·
Registered
773 Posts
...6 quarts of oil in 6000 miles is ridiculous, I dont care what BMW says. Thanks to the BMW maintenance plan, I dont have to pay for the oil. .....
You sig line shows two previous M5's. Didn't they use oil during breakin? I also had two previous M5's and they burned oil up until about 15,000 miles, lots of oil. Maybe not quite as my as my E60 but close.

Also, how are you getting oil from BMW. They never gave me any oil :).

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thrash

My commute is exactly the same that I had with my previous E39's. Part of the problem is that I have driven mostly manual transmissions for over 28 years.
I understand the logic and refinement of the SMG, its just not intuitive to me, yet. I am sure I will get used to it in a year or so.

Hmmm this is quite a rare occurence with regards to SMG. Most people find it tricky for the first few weeks/months but very quickly get used to and come to love it, and many probably prefer it to the traditional manual.

Perhaps the fact that your commute doesn't really give you the chance to use the car the way it was designed should be factored in, but I guess there will always be some people who just don't click with the car for whatever reason. I'm making the assumption that you don't get to push your car a whole lot, but maybe you should get out there on the weekends and thrash her about a bit and drive her the way she likes to be driven. :) :M5rev: :M5launch:

·
Registered
836 Posts
gh,
Tell them you paid a lot for your car and there should be 0$ maintainence except rubber and gas so they should top you off for free. The Master Tech at my stealership always makes sure I have a couple of quarts in my trunk. When I get below 1 quart I stop by the service bay, no call or appt.

Pilotmike,
You will probably come to love it over time. If you're doing a lot of highway cruising it will take you longer cause you not using the tranny much. Be patient, this car has a long learning curve and the reward is a very enjoyable driving experience once you have attained your Jedi status.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oil

Oil is covered in the maintenance plan. The only problem is that you have to pull into the service bay and they fill it for you. You know how busy a dealer can be, sometimes takes 20 minutes, or more.

You sig line shows two previous M5's. Didn't they use oil during breakin? I also had two previous M5's and they burned oil up until about 15,000 miles, lots of oil. Maybe not quite as my as my E60 but close.

Also, how are you getting oil from BMW. They never gave me any oil :).

·
Registered
836 Posts
they let me do it myself, they just hand me the quarts

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have 13K miles on my 07' and I still suck at driving the SMG. I can drive a 6 speed so much better and feel I have SO much more control over the car with a stick. The down shifting is pretty slow and sometimes I get mixed up on what I am doing???????:dunno::dunno: I still enjoy the SMG, just not really confident with it!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Coming off of a 550 with the six speed, I am now 3400 miles and four months into the Beast. In the past month, I have really gotten to like the SMG. I used to just keep it in D, and drive. I have found that using the SMG stick, and occasionally the paddles, I have gotten to really enjoy the car more. I feel like when I am shifting, I get a smoother ride. Anyway, I would give it some more time.

ON A SIDE NOTE, her are current Stats based on the Trip Computer Since I last Reset it:

73:24 HRS
2014 mls driven
29.6 mph average (daily driver, mostly streets)
12.6 mpg

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bruno

I have 13K miles on my 07' and I still suck at driving the SMG. I can drive a 6 speed so much better and feel I have SO much more control over the car with a stick. The down shifting is pretty slow and sometimes I get mixed up on what I am doing???????:dunno::dunno: I still enjoy the SMG, just not really confident with it!
Exactly, I havent found the comfort level yet.

·
Registered
350 Posts
This is what you need to do to appreciate what you have.

Take the car out for a nice spirited run in the mountains or the canyons. You can even head out to the track. After that you will realize how amazing the smg tranny really is. Two hands on the wheel, right foot on the gas coming up on a turn and the signs reads 35, you look down at the speedo and you're doing 90, no problem. :cheers:In Mexico of course.

Having put over 130,000 on my last 2 E39 M5's,
I cannot get used to the SMG.
I have put 6000 miles on in the last 3 months, its my daily driver.
I have found that the paddle shifters are occasionally used. I never drive with 2 hands on the wheel anyway.

I know I could never shift as fast as the SMG under full acceleration, but I am kinda bummed about having to reset the shift button everytime I get in the car.
The E60 has so much over the E39, as far as luxury and electronics, and even handling, but I really liked the driving experience better in the E39.
Where I felt I was the master of the E39, I am nowhere close to feeling that in the E60.
6 quarts of oil in 6000 miles is ridiculous, I dont care what BMW says. Thanks to the BMW maintenance plan, I dont have to pay for the oil.

I rarely rev past 6k rpm, 50 miles round trip commute each weekday, averaging 13.5 mpg.

Just wanted to post after 5,000 miles with my opinion.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Maybe

This is what you need to do to appreciate what you have.

Take the car out for a nice spirited run in the mountains or the canyons. You can even head out to the track. After that you will realize how amazing the smg tranny really is. Two hands on the wheel, right foot on the gas coming up on a turn and the signs reads 35, you look down at the speedo and you're doing 90, no problem. :cheers:
Done that many times. Its more than that.

I should feel good drving this car whether I am commuting, or drving hard, just like my E39's. I knew exactly what that car was going to do in any condition.

If I had never driven an E39 M5, I would bet I wouldnt have any complaints.

Its the learning curve I think. I will see in a year.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Done that many times. Its more than that.

I should feel good drving this car whether I am commuting, or drving hard, just like my E39's. I knew exactly what that car was going to do in any condition.

If I had never driven an E39 M5, I would bet I wouldnt have any complaints.

Its the learning curve I think. I will see in a year.

A year? That's some patience. Accept it for what it is, an awkward and different way of shifting. If you haven't gotten used to it by now, I hardly doubt more time is going to make a difference. My friend who's daily driver is a Porsche felt the same way you feel, said he was not in control, mostly likely cause of the automated clutch. It's not everyone's cup of tea... I wouldn't have lasted a year, woulda traded in for a 6speed or gone AMG.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I Love the SMG ....

It is going to grow on you ... It is a very good piece of machinery ... and do not forget that in a very sporty car we can not have both of the worlds ( but the M5 gets closer ) ... Enjoy the car ... :cheers:

·
Registered
915 Posts
Thanks to the BMW maintenance plan, I dont have to pay for the oil.

...my dealer told me oil top offs are not covered under the m5 warranty..

you guys are getting your oil toped off for free?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Thanks to the BMW maintenance plan, I dont have to pay for the oil.

...my dealer told me oil top offs are not covered under the m5 warranty..

you guys are getting your oil toped off for free?

Short answer, YES. My local dealer has strict hours, 11:30AM - 3:30PM for free oil top offs in the parking lot without a scheduled appointment.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts