BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tonight on the way to an Irish wake I was early and had to kill some time, so I stopped in at a dealer that offers MB, Bently, Ferrari(preowned), Lambo, Aston Martin, and assorted supercars. I met the part owner and during the conversation I said I love my M5. He says I have a special car I'd like to show you. It was a Silverstone Dinan Stage II that the dealer said was certified to have 600 bhp at the rear wheels. I didn't want to look dumb so I repeated his claim a couple of times and he is convinced the car is 600 at the rear wheels. Now that would be about 700 at the flywheel.

I think this guy is dreaming, what do you think?

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Jim Dolan said:
Tonight on the way to an Irish wake I was early and had to kill some time, so I stopped in at a dealer that offers MB, Bently, Ferrari(preowned), Lambo, Aston Martin, and assorted supercars. I met the part owner and during the conversation I said I love my M5. He says I have a special car I'd like to show you. It was a Silverstone Dinan Stage II that the dealer said was certified to have 600 bhp at the rear wheels. I didn't want to look dumb so I repeated his claim a couple of times and he is convinced the car is 600 at the rear wheels. Now that would be about 700 at the flywheel.

Dinan S2 has 470 at the crank, or 390-400 at the wheels, the dinan s3, (supercharged) has 617 at the crank or what would prob be over 500-540 at the wheels, so yeah he's wrong if it is a dinan.

·
Registered
12,913 Posts
Jim Dolan said:

Hmmm, well if it is nearby I am willing to drive down and take a look. I assume since the dealer has it, it is for sale!
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gsfent said:
Hmmm, well if it is nearby I am willing to drive down and take a look. I assume since the dealer has it, it is for sale!
Regards,
Jerry
PM me and I'll tell you where the car is.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know the Steve has a DP(Daytona Prototype) engine with 500 hp using the M5 block. He could get more out of the engine even as much as 750hp but I doubt it would fit under the hood of the M5. In the April 2005 Roundel is the whole story.

He said the problem(if there is one) with the M5 block is that it cannot achieve high enough rpm's for the DP to be competitive, that the M5 engine was produced for high torgue as a street car engine and it's firing order plays havoc with the crank shaft to produce high rpm's.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
So he has a special one off Dinan car that makes more power than the S3? Thats really neat! My Jetta came from the factory with 500bhp, and the dealer said that is a special prototype that was accidentally sold to me. Guess we all can dream... ouich
:cheers:

·
Registered
626 Posts
ouich ouich LOL :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

BmwNut said:
So he has a special one off Dinan car that makes more power than the S3? Thats really neat! My Jetta came from the factory with 500bhp, and the dealer said that is a special prototype that was accidentally sold to me. Guess we all can dream... ouich
:cheers:

·
Registered
91 Posts
There's an E39 advertised near me with a "NOWACK ENGINE CONVERSION (502BHP)"

It's at http://www.thrapstongarage.com/ - the site uses Frames, so you need to click on "Vehicles | Used Cars" and then select BMW.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts