BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Saw a thread on the M5 side where they are talking about the 6-speed manual transmission. Of course there are many more M5's than M6's so I did some research and found that there were only 701 6-speed M6's manufactured from 2006-2010. There were a total of 14,152 M6's built so that puts the man-trans cars at 4.9% of total production. So if you have a man-trans car you own 1 of 701. If you go by only coupe for example, only 3.5% were built with a man-trans & you would have 1 of 323. With classic muscle cars they often describe rarity based on exterior colors also. If you could break the numbers down even further based on coupe/conv & exterior color it would be interesting.

There's also some great info at this site and am surprised there are so few M6's registered here.
BMW M Registry - FAQ E63 + E64 M6

Some data from there:

How many examples of the E63 M6 coupe and E64 M6 convertible were produced?
EH91 (ECE-spec M6 coupe LHD): 3,880 produced from 3/05 through 7/10
EH92 (ECE-spec M6 coupe RHD): 1,320 produced from 9/05 through 6/10
EH93 (NA-spec M6 coupe LHD): 3,887 produced from 3/06 through 7/10
EK91 (ECE-spec M6 convertible LHD): 1,133 produced from 9/06 through 7/10
EK92 (ECE-spec M6 convertible RHD): 420 produced from 9/06 through 6/10
EK93 (NA-spec M6 convertible LHD): 3,512 produced from 9/06 through 7/10

How many examples of the E63 M6 coupe and E64 M6 convertible were produced with a manual transmission?
BMW M produced a total of 701 examples of the E63 M6 coupe and E64 M6 convertible with the optional 6-speed manual gearbox, all exclusively for the USA and Canada. This figure includes 323 units of the E63 M6 coupe (three of which were pre-production cars) and 378 units of the E64 M6 convertible (two of which were pre-production cars).

I've never had any problems with my clutch at all but just ordered the Spec PT Clutch with an aluminum flywheel which will reduce rotating mass weight by 18#. It's rated for over 1000 foot # of torque so it'll be extra tough for the nitrous runs.

·
Registered
71 Posts
This is great info. I knew the 6-speeds are rare but never knew the numbers. I have always wondered just how rare the 'verts are like mine, and now I know.

I loved your video of and write up of your exhaust. It was what convinced me to x-pipe and remove the res and 2nd cats. So of the 378 'verts, one less with stock exhaust!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Speedwaywhite,
I've now updated my exhaust yet again and the following thread shows what I've done (7th page). Also gutted the primary cats and as soon as I get home next weekend I'll video the exhaust and post it. It sounds pretty good not to mention about 8 pounds less with removing all the primary cat material. :). With all exhaust mods I'm guessing I've removed at least 75# by deleting the resonators, stock mufflers, secondary cats, h-pipe & primary cat material. Also removed the heat shields above the mufflers since there's nothing there to retain heat any longer.

Am on the waiting list for the Texas Mile at the end of October and will be removing the passenger and rear seats for weight reduction for those runs. I'll weigh the car in the lightest weight configuration as possible also. Will also clean the glove box & console out, take out the floor mats, & remove the pump/tools/covers in the trunk.
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e63-bmw-m6-forum-bmw-m6-convertible-m6board-com/195510-mufflers-deleted-wow-7.html

·
Registered
759 Posts
There's also some great info at this site and am surprised there are so few M6's registered here.
Yea, and did you notice that 7 of the 17 M6's are registered by Luiz Pereira! It looks like he just took pics of various M6's (different colors at least) from showrooms and registered them. Of course, he had the req'd VIN info from the showroom visits!

·
Registered
306 Posts
interesting info!!!

·
Registered
761 Posts
The only negative aspect to this is that you cannot find parts for the tranny. I just got mine replaced at laurel BMW because it failed at 60,000-miles. The warranty was up, but I convinced them to do it for a little over three bills because I had just bought a m5 from them. Otherwise, it would have been $6,500. There are smg trans on eBay, but I couldn't find a single used tranny in the country over a 3-week span.

·
In Memoriam
2,400 Posts
Speedwaywhite,
I've now updated my exhaust yet again and the following thread shows what I've done (7th page). Also gutted the primary cats and as soon as I get home next weekend I'll video the exhaust and post it. It sounds pretty good not to mention about 8 pounds less with removing all the primary cat material. :). With all exhaust mods I'm guessing I've removed at least 75# by deleting the resonators, stock mufflers, secondary cats, h-pipe & primary cat material. Also removed the heat shields above the mufflers since there's nothing there to retain heat any longer.

Am on the waiting list for the Texas Mile at the end of October and will be removing the passenger and rear seats for weight reduction for those runs. I'll weigh the car in the lightest weight configuration as possible also. Will also clean the glove box & console out, take out the floor mats, & remove the pump/tools/covers in the trunk.
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e63-bmw-m6-forum-bmw-m6-convertible-m6board-com/195510-mufflers-deleted-wow-7.html

Maybe losing 20 pounds with hard exercise Dean ? Good for health also !!!
Any update on nitrous ?

George:cheers:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Jeuprx8,
I also live in MD and my friend is the finance mgr at bmw silver spring. let me know if you need anything in the future.

DS

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe losing 20 pounds with hard exercise Dean ? Good for health also !!!
Any update on nitrous ?

George:cheers:
Am on temporary duty at Dyess Air Force near Abilene TX and looking for a dyno to hit my nitrous for the first time. Want to hit it while on the dyno for the first time vs. on the highway.

·
Registered
118 Posts
fellow 6 spder here, saw the e60 guys had a breakdown by color, any chance someone has any info on the E63/4 color break down for 6 speeds......?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bump...
I'm interested in usa/canadian market too. On E60 M5s it's 1296, 65 and 3 european delivery. I've got nr6/323. Maybe the first built to canadian market (I know 3 vins from the first 5 and these are all built to usa market).

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Wow, 6-year old thread. Nice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Some eye candy for y'all. My first post on the forum too. Here is my 2008 M6, 6-Speed transmission with 25100 miles. Weather is finally getting better in Chicago and I'm planning to wash her and detail tomorrow. I'll post more pictures soon.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
back from the dead...I have been wondering how many 6spd coupes were still around, I would assume at least 23 have been destroyed/salvaged, putting the number of clean title examples below 300. I just brought mine to Germany, I am looking forward to the reaction I get when I bring it to the local ///M indy for rod bearings - there's no way they have seen many of them as the manuals were only sold in NA.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts