BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a tire review by a $ 1.2 million McClaren P1 owner little does he know the Stroker M5 that can be had cheap can run him down once his batteries are done and engine in reduced power mode due to heat soak of running to long at 24-psi. To top it off he pays 5x as much for tires as the M5, no wonder he has buyers remorse.

Pirelli P Zero Corsa System (Streetable Track & Competition) Reviewer's Overall Rating: 6.83
2014 McLaren P1 More Tire Reviews for This Vehicle

Pirelli P Zero Corsa System
Miles driven on tires: 1,000
Driving Condition: Combined Highway/City
Driving Style: Spirited

Initial Review, 1,000 Miles on Tires
December 08, 2014
"Well, after breaking the bank for these tires, I'm regretting the car purchase."

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No offense to the M5, I'd take a P1 over the M5 any time of the day if I could ;)
No offense taken.

In my mind the P1 is a track toy or slow lane highway cruiser only.

It is not a race for the head of pack rush hour commuter weapon, you have too much to loose when you are low to ground on a 5-lane highway when you cannot see the 3-other cars diving from all different directions at the same time for the same gap in traffic you want to move into with the P1.

Give me an upright green house with good 360 degree vision and a higher seating position and I can make it quicker across the top of Toronto in an M5 than any 2000 Hp Lambo or GTR that are fighting blind spots in order to make split second decisions at speed. If you get cut off and wreck all you loose is a car with little resale value or if fixed has a little less resale value. (since no shoulders on the 401 it is suicidal to pull anyone over for speeding, thus a free for all at rush hour)

A P1 with a substantial accident on it's record will loose at least $ 400,000 in resale when you spear a guy that did not see you coming so fast and thus makes a last second lane change in front of you.

How is a P1 useful except for being on a rotating pedestal in your living room?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Are we really now comparing E60 M5 to P1 now.. :7: This is really grasping comparing tires used by P1 to the M5.

IMHO.. more time should be spent doing real world review with videos of 6.0 Stroker vs Dinan Stroker or ESS or hell even stock car..
20+ pages in the other thread and no review/video/driving impressions of 6.0 Stroker.. grrrrrrr
Give us something.. anything but tires..

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are right, too much tire talk on Troy's original thread I will have no problem deleting those posts if they annoy and are not useful, I get just as excited as anyone else would with any of their mods in this case it is what I know to be a breakthrough in quality engine building.

The one month wait for further knowledge is killing me as well thus I was trying to entertain while in intermission while other stroker owners appear to have their cars parked till spring.

Like I said as soon as I get my car it will be broken in by the time I get to Dallas and I can do some timed 3rd gear pulls 4000-rpm to 8000

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is a practical car for US driving conditions?

A Focus ST (or a $9K 335i) driven like you stole it is more fun than negotiating a P1 amongst the many zombie or distracted drivers on the road today.

The P1 belongs on the track or autobahn (where other drivers pay attention) Period

The buyers remorse was already there the $ 4,000+ bill for tires was the icing on the cake, perhaps the Washington P1 owner can get an ex-pat position in Germany, he would be much happier.

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
I am not quite sure where this thread is going or what the actual reason to create it was :confused:

I would take the P1 any day of the week and still hog the fast lane going 70mph hiha

Reactions: Kazakh015

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm with you ACG. There was a P1 at the Mclaren dealership in LI and that thing was absolutely stunning! I would take it over pretty much anything out there.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm with you ACG. There was a P1 at the Mclaren dealership in LI and that thing was absolutely stunning! I would take it over pretty much anything out there.
Have to agree as well.... I love my car but I certainly would not love it so much if were in a position to buy a P1.

I have informed the missus that if the opportunity arose I would be trading her in for one, I love her but that car is something else lol :biggrinbounce:

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
We appear to have a pretty fickle group here lacking in devotion to their M5 (and wifes) ready to drop both for the next pretty face to come along.

Remember, wanting is sometimes better than getting:

27-year-old crashes $1.2M McLaren P1 on 1st day of ownership - NY Daily News

I have had bad experiences with mechanics trashing my clutch in the 928 while "test driving" I do all my own work now.

This exotic car owner will probably hire a dedicated in house mechanic for his 30+ collection of Ferrari super cars:

"Oh Yeah, They Floored It," Witness Describes '120 MPH' Ferrari Crash

I could not imagine watching P1 mechanics peel out the Dealer lot to test the brake job they just did.

I do not know of an excotic that is set up to be maintained by an Owner thus have no interest in them.

My opinion thats all

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
If i could afford it, i'd sell the cars, the kids, the wife, the house and live in a p1.
If I could afford it, I'd sell the cars, the kids, the wife, the house and buy a P1. Then sell the P1, buy back the cars, the kids, the wife, the house, and still have a couple hundred grand in the pocket.

That is of course if my wife doesn't raise the price for buying her back :)

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
Fickle is not the correct description of what we are here, we all love what we have but the E60 looks its age and no matter what you shove under the hood it's still an older car.

With the price of this car dropping everyday of course it's a great bang for the buck but let's not forget about the upkeep of the car also.

The P1 is just a beautiful car hands down, end of story.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts