BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone knows Troy favors the Redline and I'm inclined to believe him. However, I have ACL bearings with extra clearance so I am concerned that the 5w50 would be too thin for the extra clearance. But when I compare the stats for Motul 8100 x-power 10x60 (what Lang Racing put in after the bearing job) with Redline 5w50 they seem extremely close; the Redline is thick! Far closer than than Motul compared to Redline 10w60. I like the concept of how clean the Redline seems to make everything. Can I just be comfortable with the thinner 5w50 knowing it really isn't thinner based on the stat sheet? I'm overly concerned about this because my commute is short so this car gets a lot of short, relatively cold (engine temp) drives. Thanks for the insight everyone.

·
2,293 Posts
Indeed - Troy suggestion is one of if not the thickest 5w50. As for how it keeps stuff clean one has to wonder about oil change intervals. Follow BMW's 15k recommendation and I bet it will turn everything brown too.

The LM 10w60 spec sheet is just a copy of the J300 specs. They don't even bother listing test results - assuming they ran some. That and LM doesn't meet the HTHS J300 requirement for a 60wt oil. But not everybody reads datasheets and specs so there's that.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Not the original topic but what is the consensus on Schaffers 5w-50? i remember reading some very positive reviews a year or so ago but nothing since.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The LM 10w60 spec sheet is just a copy of the J300 specs. They don't even bother listing test results - assuming they ran some. That and LM doesn't meet the HTHS J300 requirement for a 60wt oil. But not everybody reads datasheets and specs so there's that.
Sure maybe, but I'd bet you'd agree that liquid Molly's ceratec is most certainly, definitely, absolutely not snake oil.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Bear in mind that your bearing temp will be 50-75F over your oil into the engine temp. so compare viscosities there. I'd think you could run either 5w50 or 10w60 and be ok at those clearances.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
My ears are burning... thanks for that Flaco.
To prove how right your point is, I will come clean that I have never actually looked at the LM spec sheet but the shop that did my bearings (ActiveAutowerke) highly recommended LM.
It might be relevant that here in S. Florida the temp seldom gets below 60 degrees in the winter (and then only a few times a year and only for a couple hours each time) and under 82 degrees in the summer on a cool night, so cold start oil thickness is less of a concen.
But again thanks for pointing us not datasheet readers out. Good thing we have a M5 Board.

I guess an interesting question might be at what clearance and temps does 5w50 or 10w60 make a difference?

·
2,293 Posts
Oh I wasn't pointing at anyone in particular - I mean prob 99% of owners don't read specs. For whatever it's worth I've run TWS through 2 midwest winters at 10k oil intervals with no effects.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Everytime I see a thread like this, it makes me question what oil I should be using. Currently on LM 10w60 but not sure if switching to Redline 5w50 is good choice at almost 90k. Might be doing my bearings at the end of the year this might be helpful info for the most part.

·
Registered
DinanS2+ e60m5 6MT, s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,263 Posts
I've been running Motul 7100 4T 10w60 for over 140,000 miles in Southern California.

Reactions: ticat928

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
The engines that Troy builds are designed for Redline 5w-50.
He uses bearings with a higher load rating, different clearance, even different width to go along with the increased rod side clearance.
In my case the motor has 58,000 miles since last engine out bearing change , that along with being daily driven in the winter on 10w-60 TWS, it made sense for me to continue with 10w-60.

I would not want to recommend switching from 10w-60 to 5w-50 on a 90,000 mile motor, if anything; a thicker 10w-60 would be more appropriate
Use 1500 watt heating blankets on oil pan for winter cold starts.

The ideal time to use 5w-50 is after new bearings, then after 50,000 miles one can consider switching to 10-60 to extend bearing life somewhat

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I have never had an engine failure, even going back 45 years when I had a collection of $75.00 clunkers.

My only challenge has been to keep the rest of the car alive. LOL

25DBD7BB-412F-44BA-B562-C1CC36C6A492.jpeg

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
This is what I use:

Site has many more interesting products for m5
B043191E-16FE-4A62-996E-FB9216463805.png

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
That will buff right out......
I am good with it, needed struts anyway turned in plates, no more KY yearly property tax on top of registration fee, off insurance, saving money.
Will be track car only.
Gained so much power running track since I put the Ravinol in, was not prepared for it breaking loose at spot I never had an issue in previous 20 visits.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
T
This is what I use:

Site has many more interesting products for m5
View attachment 943267
That 10w60 is thinner at 40/100 than the Redline 5w50.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
It does seem to reduce friction, my track oil temperatures were 5 to 10 degrees F lower than with TWS 10-60 on a colder day on track

1 - 20 of 42 Posts