BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have the breakdown of how many of the 577 Manual Transmissions were made by year?

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Most of the manuals were built for 2013 model year, but some where made for each subsequent year. I have seen at least one 2016 6MT.

I have not found any breakdown by year though for specific numbers

·
Registered
10 Posts
There is business/statistical reason to assume the distribution would be pretty regular. The number of manual drivers decreases every year so if anything I would say that 2013 may have more production than 2016, but all years should be similar. i.e. around 140 per year. Finding the exact number may require contacting BMW proper as I’ve never seen this break down anywhere, despite a pretty extensive breakdown here (prob where you found your 577 number) https://bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=54

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is business/statistical reason to assume the distribution would be pretty regular. The number of manual drivers decreases every year so if anything I would say that 2013 may have more production than 2016, but all years should be similar. i.e. around 140 per year. Finding the exact number may require contacting BMW proper as I’ve never seen this break down anywhere, despite a pretty extensive breakdown here (prob where you found your 577 number) : //bmwmregistry com/model_faq.php?id=54

Yes pretty wild that they have extenisve details but leave out how many by year. I see listings all the time on alerts but they never end up being Manuals (despite saying they are) as those that list typically don't put that it's a 7 speed automatic..

Is there a good VIN Lookup service that can be used to find out if it's MT or Automatic?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I spent 6 months looking at every 2016 M5 for sale on the internet. 80% of listings say manual but I was dying for a reliable way to know because if you jump fast enough you can get in before there are any pics up.

VIN decodes online often showed the wrong transmission. I think only the dealer will be able to accurately decode VIN to show actual transmission.

If you're in this same spot, I suggest calling the dealer immediately and verifying. It’s how I got my car. 2016 6MT CP in dark grey over black extended merino leather.

I jumped when there were no pics. Had it inspected and negotiated in two days. By the time I sent funds, they had just posted pics online.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I spent 6 months looking at every 2016 M5 for sale on the internet. 80% of listings say manual but I was dying for a reliable way to know because if you jump fast enough you can get in before there are any pics up.

VIN decodes online often showed the wrong transmission. I think only the dealer will be able to accurately decode VIN to show actual transmission.

If you're in this same spot, I suggest calling the dealer immediately and verifying. It’s how I got my car. 2016 6MT CP in dark grey over black extended merino leather.

I jumped when there were no pics. Had it inspected and negotiated in two days. By the time I sent funds, they had just posted pics online.

Yes there's a small subset of us looking for these soon to be rare breeds.. Appreciate the advice as I've called a bunch of dealers and it's funny how many don't know if it's automatic or manual and say the cars are not around to view ATM..

Thanks again, If you care to share or PM me what you paid for a 2016 MT. I've been seeing the 2013 MT's in the 33-45k range with 25,000-60,000 miles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Honestly I can't remember everything but I know it was Feb 2019, I paid roughly $62k+++ and the car had 38k miles on it when I bought it.

The only things it seems to be lacking are all the extra safety things (lane departure, AI cruise control, etc). It has extended merino leather, B&O, competition package, heated wheel and rear seats, black 5 spokes, etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anybody have the breakdown of how many of the 577 Manual Transmissions were made by year?
Hi everyone, I just joined the forum, having just purchased a 2015 M5 Competition with a 6-speed manual. I had been looking for an F80 M3 for a while and peeking at M5 manuals now and again. One in Singapore Gray popped up at CarMax in Buena Park, CA last Monday and I took a look with my wife. Comparing it to an F80 parked right next to it, she preferred the larger car for our growing family to use and I came to see the light. It's all her fault! Once we brought it home, I started reading about production numbers and realized how few manuals were built. 577 total as you stated, 105 Competition manuals for the US, 13 for Canada. I found this info on M Registry:
bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=54
Glad to have this forum to learn from, thanks to those making it possible.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2016 CP 6MT. In my search for a specific build over the past 9 months, I came across at least 7 (7th being mine) 6MTs (CP and non-CP). Most if not all were lease returns.

·
Registered
10 Posts
In that same vein, I was searching for about 3 months. I saw maybe 5 total 6MTs in that time. Most were a color combo I didn't prefer. I was ready to buy sight unseen from anywhere in the lower 48 (after a 3rd party inspection, obviously) so when I came across my car, it was a no-brainer.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My experience was similar

Looked for 6 months
90 pct bogus manual listings
Best way to win is to use Alerts for CarGurus autotrader cars.com
You must call dealership instantly before pics are up and be aggressive in having them send pics of the shifter straight to you
If it’s color combo and mileage you want, put down deposit immediately and pay ASAP
Mine was a BMW individual Tanzanite blue which was exactly what I wanted so I moved very fast

28k miles
59k price
Shipped it from CT to San Diego

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So funny that we're all having or had the same issues when trying to track down the few MT models produced.. My E39 has doubled in value from what I paid for it 8 years ago and it will be interesting to see if the MT's eventually start to appreciate in value.

Looked for 6 months
You must call dealership instantly before pics are up and be aggressive in having them send pics of the shifter straight to you
If it’s color combo and mileage you want, put down deposit immediately and pay ASAP
Mine was a BMW individual Tanzanite blue which was exactly what I wanted so I moved very fast

28k miles
59k price

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Nice ride! From your pics I mistook the color as Imperial Blue, which is what I have. I was about to write how we have the exact same car besides yours being a facelift until I read your post relating what color it is. Mine is Imperial Blue over extended(full) Silverstone 2 leather, same trim, 6 speed, 343M wheels.

Looked for 6 months

28k miles
59k price

·
Registered
10 Posts
So funny that we're all having or had the same issues when trying to track down the few MT models produced.. My E39 has doubled in value from what I paid for it 8 years ago and it will be interesting to see if the MT's eventually start to appreciate in value.
They simply have to. As analog goes away there's the era where everyone forgets them (in automotive's case it will be autopiloted cars) and then suddenly everyone reaches back for nostalgia and the 1989 Nissan Maxima 5MT or a 1998 Prelude 5MT is suddenly desirable, nevermind any M5 variant.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I’ve got an E39 M5 and an E46 M3 mostly because I just love M cars especially the older ones and It. must. Be. Manual. So I’m collecting them.

The E39 is unquestionably the best car I’ve ever had. That generation of Ms before BMW went mainstream is just the absolute best. I had the E60 (gone) too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Figured I'd chime in w/ my story. I spent about a year searching for my 6MT. Previous E34 M5 and current E36 M3 owner. Stick was the only option.

The whole "listing a dual-clutch as a manual" was SUPER frustrating. I ended up using an app that aggregated dealer listings (can't recall the name). I spent hours looking at every listing, swiping to the interior photos, and looking at the shifter. I got really good at pattern matching the DCT shifter knob in thumbnails (and moving on).

In June '18, on a Sat night I was swiping around and a new listing popped up in UT, near SLC. The listing was brand new -- no pics. It was listed as manual and something about the desc gave me pause. I chatted the dealership online (they were closed for the day, and a service answered and said they'd be back to me Monday -- dealer was closed on Sunday because Utah).

I called first thing Monday and reached the internet sales person (who was great through the whole process*). He verbally confirmed it was 6MT. I demanded "proof of stick" and he obliged. The car was optioned up to most things I wanted. Singapore Gray (second fav color, after imperial blue -- although that Tanzanite blue looks really nice too) w/ a dark interior. At 12,000 miles I was done.

My wife and I flew to SLC in July and picked up the car, driving home (to Ca.) through as many state parks as possible in 2 days. Great road trip, great road trip car.

My boneheaded mistake was not getting an independent inspection done. With only 12k miles and the pics showing a very well kept car, I thought it would be fine. I've since had to have the clutch replaced. No idea what the previous owner did to the clutch. Hoping it was only the clutch.

Still enjoying the car though. This it being chased by a storm down Escalante / Grand Staircase in UT on the way home.

* Months later he texted me this IG post about the 577 MTs

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
If you search production numbers 5% were manual.

each of the cars in 5% manual production are rare and unique due to option configuration.

But I Am gonna back to e60.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts