BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Not at ease

To summarize the answers to my message that 550 hp will not do, will be something like this: Yes, MB might be allowed to make faster cars but BMW:s will be so much better when it comes to handling. I agree, of course they will but I do not want to see 0-100 numbers favoring MB. I sense a lack of faith here.- It feels like this: Since noone of us want turbos or superchargers in our BMWs the only thing we can hope for now is slower but much better cars than MBs are. In my view BMW must not give up in the hp war that MB wages aggressively. Believe me it will affect sales. If every AMG version topples the BMW equivalents in hp bad times are upon us.

Chraun

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I agree with you about sales- this is also why SMG is such a good thing for BMW, because it will allow someone who does not know how to drive stick shift to drive a manual car- they will have to adjust, but not as much of an adjustment as to doing the clutch work.

I think BMW would say about the speed of the cars, that there is something about naturally asiprated power, that its so instanenous, and their engines rev so fast and so high that they dont want to give it up. thats what I think they would say, but maybe youre right- for marketing purposes they need blown engines. As far as Im concerned, real men dont need no stinkin hair dryers in their engines! hiha j/k- I mean look at all the race cars that are turbo. but for me, for the street, I prefer NA

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Avoidance att all costs!

MEnthusiast said:
I agree with you about sales- this is also why SMG is such a good thing for BMW, because it will allow someone who does not know how to drive stick shift to drive a manual car- they will have to adjust, but not as much of an adjustment as to doing the clutch work.

I think BMW would say about the speed of the cars, that there is something about naturally asiprated power, that its so instanenous, and their engines rev so fast and so high that they dont want to give it up. thats what I think they would say, but maybe youre right- for marketing purposes they need blown engines. As far as Im concerned, real men dont need no stinkin hair dryers in their engines! hiha j/k- I mean look at all the race cars that are turbo. but for me, for the street, I prefer NA
Jerry

Don´t misunderstand me! BMW must att any cost avoid turbo or supercharging. I admit I was unclear. They have double vanos so they should stick with that and rev the engines and increase the cubic inches. Turbo or supercharging would diminish the brand.

Best wishes

Chraun

·
Registered
675 Posts
I spent the weekend in an e55 amg and man can that thing fly,incredibly fast,will drop our beloved m5s no problem,but let me tell you its the m5 driver who will be having more fun.
THE merc to me waS sterile,the brake system had no progression and was 'all or nothing' the steering continually vibrated in my hands,and the handling..well the grip was enormous possibly more than the m5 but it was like you didn't have to drive..the car was doing it all for you.Seems like a car for those who want to get from a-b as quickly as possible whwereas the m5 does the same but puts a smile on your face.
Oh whats the point im making...forget power problems,there are other more important attributes in a car plus any car boasting 400+bhop aint lacking in power.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Why isn't this the first time I've heard of the new E-Class' brakes to be a complete POS?? :D :D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :byebye:

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
it gets worse- the E class electronic brake system has been a huge problem for MB- its completely failed on some owners.....

its funny, that you hear of the 7 series idrive not working, or even the engine going into limp mode, but the brakes always work.

to release a car where the brakes are suspect.....

as to the way the new E drives- yes, thats it exactly- and thats what the typical MB buyer wants, which is why Im not a MB customer.

Charun, sorry for any confusion. maybe its time for "super vanos"?! :cheers:

21 - 26 of 26 Posts