BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been a while since I've put a story about a kill, but this one was just too good.

I was sitting at a light, first position, with a lexus next to me. We will be heading toward the freeway with a fantastic onramp. The onramp has 2 turns, a hard right hander, and then a sweeping right hander slightly banked that takes you on the freeway. For the locals this is the Rancho Rd onramp in Thousand Oaks getting on to 101 south.

So here's what happen, at the light with the lexus, as the light turns green for us, and an E39 BMW rolls the red light and makes his right hand turn at the same time. I hit the gas about 75% hoping he would stop a little late and let me go, NOPEgrrrrrrr, he made the turn and started to take off. I am about 70ft behind him as he takes off as I shift into 2nd and now I am WOT seeing its a 540i. I passed him very quickly, and opened up a 5-7 car length lead when I back off a little. By this time I am now appoarching the the first of 2 turns and notice the 540 has not backed off, and is running up on me pretty fast closing the gap:applause: OK, here we go again. I promptly get right back on the gas, quick tap on the brakes to make the first turn, and then WOT again to turn #2. Moved wide to I could get a good line getting on the freeway. I was lightly on the brakes just before turn #2, got the car turned in and right back on the gas, I am pretty sure this might be the fastest I have ever taken this one ramp. Now its a straight shot now up the onramp to the freeway. This is the first chance I looked back for the 540 since he was closing on me so quickly. To my amazement I have pulled about 8 cars from what I could tell:M5launch: since we entered the first turn:byee55amg

This was more fun than the rice rocket I dumped getting on the sweeping onramp at Westlake blvd heading 101 north on Sunday:byee55amg of course he caught me pretty fast once we were on the freeway, gave me a nice thumbs up, and indicated that he doesn't do turns! I totally understand.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
nice man, 540's around here never wanna play.. I wonder why? =P

·
Registered
360 Posts
Maybe that's because you are playing with a stacked deck. You have to even the playing field and try again.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
haha don't take me too seriously buddy

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe that's because you are playing with a stacked deck. You have to even the playing field and try again.
Yep, a couple of times with Roadwarrior on group drives. Unfortuneatly we don't see many 540-S3's at the track or freeway. Sobe was out there 1 day on the track, but there just aren't too many of you guys. Also been trying to not do these things on the open road and spend more time at the track, right place. BUT sometimes you just have to, as I am sure you know:M5thumbs: Next time we get a track day you should come and play.....

MFEEVA said:
Gavin, are you out picking on people again?
Trying not too, but I'm not that rolled the right turn on the red:nono: Of course from there I broke a couple of laws myself, these things happen.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
You should be chasing down Massaratis and 360 modenas lol lol

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
It's obvious the guy in the 540i was trying to impress you.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You should be chasing down Massaratis and 360 modenas lol lol
The guys in the 360's around here drive them like they are going to break the car if they push the gas:dunno: I would love to be chasing some of those guys down.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have yet to mess with another Bimmer. Something not right about that, to me. Bring on the Maximas, Mustangs, GTOs and Chargers, though! :M5launch:

·
Registered
117 Posts
I had some fun with an M5 I ran across a month or so ago. It was actully a TON of fun! We were both on some back roads going to work and played for maybe 3-4 miles.

On the straight he obvioulsy had the edge but it wasn't a slaughter and in the turns I had the edge. We were both laughing and smiling ear to ear when we got to a stop light. After a nod and wave we both went in different directions...

M5's are definately the dominant car but still fun to use as a benchmark! I have the handling part down, just need more power :3:

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I've yet to come across a beast that would pull me in the corners with my 540. Seems like most beast owners in the area only like to play in a straight line, which is a really stacked deck as others have mentioned.

I was passed on the way to an onramp recently by a E63, only to pass him back on the inside lane of the onramp. The second the road went straight, he nailed it, and I didn't even bother. ouich Worst part? Guy gave me a thumbs down. :dunno: Umm...buddy....you might have the faster car, and I won't disagree with that, but where did you go midcorner? :haha:

·
Registered
190 Posts
I would only mess with an M5 with my windows rolled down, so I could hear that glorious exhaust note!! I'm no fool. Even though my 540i/6 has a few subtle mods, by no stretch of the imagination is it an M5. No, but, when it's paid off, in another 4 yrs. It's '08 M5 V10/6spd. for me!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
I don't know why. Maybe it's time to visit my neighborhood?

Street race stories are all about lack of skill, not car model. I have embarrassed drivers in Corvettes running a stock Lincoln on the street AND track. I try not to draw conclusions about the hardware...especially after owning a Corvette too lol.

Maybe it's time to visit tracks where I run A Group in my 540i. In 20 years of track events, I have seen M5's participating and they are invariably slower & running in newbie groups. Track tires, pads & a decent shock/spring combo will more than offset the powerplant difference on an typical track, not to mention differences in skill & experience.

On the track, you're gonna see Neon's lapping powerful M3's and other anomaly's. This is where hardware and skill is objectively measured with certainty.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
On the track, you're gonna see Neon's lapping powerful M3's and other anomaly's. This is where hardware and skill is objectively measured with certainty.
agree. last time at Spring Mountain I had to let a civic go by. It happens

·
Registered
213 Posts
Please don't take this personally, I could reply like this to any number of threads, but don't you think racing on the street is somewhat irresponsible and dangerous? What if an innocent gets caught up in the carnage?

Yes, I've got an M5, and of course at the right time and place, I drive it like an M5 should be driven, but this is the exception to the rule, and rarely when other cars are about.

Since I discovered track days, I've slowed down on public roads a lot - it changes your perspective on what is safe.

Just my two cents - again please don't take it personally, would be interesting to hear what others think.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts