BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Gentlemen,

This could be considered off-topic, but I've seen a lot of 540i/6's around here....
Have any of you tried the 26mm front and 19mm rear Eibach stabi's? Are they worth the very small investment they require? My car didn't have M-tech suspension from the factoryzzzzz , so I retrofitted Eibach springs & Bilstein struts:thumbsup: . I'm wondering if the stabilizers will finish the transformation....

Thanx 4 your replies,

Steve

·
2,941 Posts
Stevie said:
Dear Gentlemen,

This could be considered off-topic, but I've seen a lot of 540i/6's around here....
Have any of you tried the 26mm front and 19mm rear Eibach stabi's? Are they worth the very small investment they require? My car didn't have M-tech suspension from the factoryzzzzz , so I retrofitted Eibach springs & Bilstein struts:thumbsup: . I'm wondering if the stabilizers will finish the transformation....

Thanx 4 your replies,

Steve
Hey Steve,

Glad you found your way to this forum. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
Hi and welcome to the board,

I have them, If youre not having the M-suspension they are a significant upgrade for sure, I think they are actually more important as "upgrade" than the shocks/springs. (but usally the shocks are worn anyway - so they are coming first in that perspective)

a tip is to invest in the BeastPower RearSwaybar brackets. to make sure
the swaybars stays on the car, (especially important if you have a soft setup)

a "funny" note is they are the same as the AC Schnitzer Sways (manufactured by Eibach for ACS)

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi 540iS,

Thx 4 your reply!! I presume you mean the e39 brackets... I saw those. Didn't know they fitted e34 as well. Or are you driving an e39?

Kind Regard,

Steve

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
Dooooo eeee --- sorry i totally missed that you drove an E34 - BUT nevertheless

I had the Eibach rollbars on my E34-540iA also (3-4 years ago) - the worked excellent on that one too !

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, for €76,- I guess I better get them then, and see how they:wroom: ! Thx 4 the info!

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
raymond woertman said:
Hey Steve,

Glad you found your way to this forum. :thumbsup:
Thx Raymond, as you know I've been a silent reader for many years, but I guess it's time to let go of the grudge against forums the BSC left me with!!!

BTW, as you may have noticed in my signature, even my supply of PS2's has suddenly (temporarily they say:confused2 ) dried up ouich, so I had to pick from B'stone RE 050 A, SportMaxx, Primacy, Pzero Rosso and SportContact2. Evo magazine is always thrilled with Rosso's, so I'm more than curious to see how they do when they're fitted tomorrow. May the sun come out and dry the roads.............

If anybody has a use for 4 barely used 255/40 YR 17 P6000's (burnout's, drift challenges, whatever) just say it, they're yours for the price of half a Rosso!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Interesting with the rollbars must try those on at least one off my 540i/6, For the next weekend I'm picking up another one, Just like the one I own now it's one of the 46 modellyear 1996 made, BJ12772-BJ12783, BJ12800-BJ12833.

Stevie; Funny enough in my register for European 540i E34 6speed containing 38 limousinecars one of them are BJ12211 registered in Sweden since 2002 are just like yours Orientblue.:M5thumbs:

Stephan

My car http://www.autopower.se/galleri/visa.asp?id=1549

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@ Stephan: OK, this is cool, you just came up with the car standing BEHIND mine on the productionline...... I should get it back tomorrow-morning (alternator died, new one on order, bloody oil-cooled $#*€nightmare on it's way by courier from Bosch), and I'll send you some pics for in your register. What info do you need?

@ Finn: Yes Finn, I am the Steve you've met on the Ring. How are you? As for the certificate I'll see what I can do, since I'm going down to the Eibach importer monday or tuesday to pick up some fresh (and correct) rear springs plus the stabi's. Ever since my car was lowered for the former owner (a good friend of mine) the rear has been too low, and a little soft. I just got around to digging up the numbers yesterday and found out they used rear springs for a car with self-leveling, which it doesn't haveouich....... If they include TUV certificates you can have mine, I don't need them.

As Serge knows the my car is "scruffy around the edges" to say the least, and will take a considerable amount of work to get right. Being an original dutch-plate manual, one of a handful, without a sunroof in a good colour I couldn't resist, especially since I've been maintaining for over a year for the last owner since he bought it. In that year it's had the a.o. springs, shocks, M5 thrust bearings, wheel bearings, brakes all round, 8 coils, waterpump, A/C condensor, radiator, fan, fanclutch, fanshroud, enginemounts, gearbox mounts, guibo, halfshafts and all kinds of little stuff. I just need to find an LSD and a gray set of sportsseats, it has the armchair variety........

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finn, for which springs do you need the certificates?

EW 2013002 HA (non self-level shocks)
EW 2025002 HA (self-level schocks)

The numbers or on the spring, in white.
I may me able to get a spare set of docu.

Donati said:
Is this the Steve that is a friend of Serge?

Do you have TÜV papers for your springs?
I think i could use a fax-copy, if this is the case.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Stevie said:
Finn, for which springs do you need the certificates?

EW 2013002 HA (non self-level shocks)
EW 2025002 HA (self-level schocks)

The numbers or on the spring, in white.
I may me able to get a spare set of docu.
Non self-level.
It would be very nice if you could get a spare set of documents for me :)

·
2,941 Posts
Stevie said:
BTW, as you may have noticed in my signature, even my supply of PS2's has suddenly (temporarily they say:confused2 )
Stevie,

I shoud have ordered them earlier, but 'just in time' has it's merits. Besides, I won't need them before the second week of April anyhow as my first visit to the NS is planned for Sunday 24 April. But even so, I do have a set of 70% worn 235/45ZR17 Michelin MXX3 in storage that I could use for that day. As you know, I have got plenty rims lying around so switching tires is just a matter of organizing.

Rgrds,

Raymond

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I've put 6 235/45 and 4 255/40 PS2's on backorder last week, since I figured either you would want a set, or I would (ab)use them given time.

And NO you don't have enough rims lying around, because if you did you'd have 2 spare 9"ers for my track set......... :1: That would solve all my problems since I still have 3 TS's, one of which would become spare. I am visiting someone tonight who has 3 turbine's lying around, but they're all 8"......

If anybody has 2 9" BMW 17" multipiece BBS lookalikes I WANT THOSE TOO!!!!

BTW, You should know better than use ancient dried MXX3's.... Wanna end up like Deidre?????? I've got 2 50% worn SP2000E's from 28/03 on 8" TS, you can use those if the PS2's don't arrive on time... I was actually stunned with those, they're pretty good, the sidewalls are VERY stiff for a non-sports tire!

raymond woertman said:
Stevie,

I shoud have ordered them earlier, but 'just in time' has it's merits. Besides, I won't need them before the second week of April anyhow as my first visit to the NS is planned for Sunday 24 April. But even so, I do have a set of 70% worn 235/45ZR17 Michelin MXX3 in storage that I could use for that day. As you know, I have got plenty rims lying around so switching tires is just a matter of organizing.

Rgrds,

Raymond

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finn, I have you're TUV certificates, if you PM me your emailadress I'll :typing: them to you.

Donati said:
Is this the Steve that is a friend of Serge?

Do you have TÜV papers for your springs?
I think i could use a fax-copy, if this is the case.

·
2,941 Posts
Stevie said:
I've put 6 235/45 and 4 255/40 PS2's on backorder last week, since I figured either you would want a set, or I would (ab)use them given time.
Thanks. :thumbsup:

Stevie said:
And NO you don't have enough rims lying around, because if you did you'd have 2 spare 9"ers for my track set......... :1:
Finding 9" is always a little problematic and yes, I could use a few of those. But you know my stock situation of 8" and that is sufficient for getting rid of excess stock 235/45ZR17. :haha:

BTW: My goal is to buy an extra set (2pcs 8", 2pcs 19") this year.

Stevie said:
That would solve all my problems since I still have 3 TS's, one of which would become spare. I am visiting someone tonight who has 3 turbine's lying around, but they're all 8"......
As long as the price is right :hihi:

Stevie said:
BTW, You should know better than use ancient dried MXX3's
They are old, but not really dried up as they have always been stored in dark and cold conditions. You know where ! :hihi:

Stevie said:
Wanna end up like Deidre?????
How often did you watch that movie? :hihi: Thanks, but no thanks, I don't wante to get involved in spionage :hihi:

Stevie said:
I've got 2 50% worn SP2000E's from 28/03 on 8" TS, you can use those if the PS2's don't arrive on time... I was actually stunned with those, they're pretty good, the sidewalls are VERY stiff for a non-sports tire!
I like the SP2000E on the Audi very much. I still cannot understand why Dunlop made such a mess out of the SP9000 with those soft sidewalls whereas the almost perfect SP8000 was much stiffer.

Rgrds,

Raymond

·
Registered
335 Posts
Stevie; Sorry to here that it's in the shop but more fun to get it back and be abel to drive it, I havn't drivin a 540i/6 since 9/30 last year so I now how fun it's to drive it after a while, For I don't drive the M-Package car in the Swedish winter.

Info that would be nice besides pictures, Is original market, equipmentlist, Modifications, Mileages, Condtion of the car, When the clutch is changed if it's of course.

Have you check the oilpumpsbults if they are thight? Nice that there is more then me that appreciate the 540i/6 E34, A specially when there only is about 800 cars built for mainland Europe, It's a rare car and should be treated as such, The Touring is even rarer with no cars built for North-America and about 500 for mainland Europe.

Maybe someone can help me with providing a chassinumber for a RHD Touring so that I can find out the total number of the 540i/6 E34?

Best Regards, Stephan

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Stephan735i said:
Info that would be nice besides pictures, Is original market, equipmentlist, Modifications, Mileages, Condtion of the car, When the clutch is changed if it's of course.

Have you check the oilpumpsbults if they are thight?
Best Regards, Stephan
The car was delivered new from a dealer 10 miles from my house (Dubbelsteyn BMW, Dordrecht, NL). It stood in the showroom many months, so 1st registration was 01/1995, Dutch plate JX-TB-97. By then it was actually an old model, since it still had the old airbag-wheel, black lower bumpers, etc.

I wil email you the specsheet, but in short it has the grey velour standard seats with armrests:nono: , matt wood, climate control with manual recirc., elec. sunshade, and was delivered new with 8Jx17" M5 TS wheels with SP2000. Currently at 255dkm, and I'm trying to get a price from Rob Levinson for a flywheel conversion, since the clutch is on the way out:crying: and I'd like to substitute the 850CSi clutch and a single-mass flywheel:noSMG: . Fitted Pzero Rosso's yesterday to replace the crappy P6000's the previous owner put on, and actually put them on the rims and balanced them myself because no-one in the garage had time. Had to take the :blabla: crap about Paul & Shark being the new tire-fitter work-wear for the rest of the day.........

What's the story with those oil-pump bolts? I haven't touched them....

·
Registered
335 Posts
Very intresthing, I really love all details and spec. about the 540 cars.:M5thumbs:

Looking forward to get the specsheet.:) It's a good idea to get a stronger clutch/flywheel, It's needed believe me, I burned my flywheel when my clutch broke, It toke 500km for the flywheel to get destroyed after the first signs that clutch was getting bad and that was just 3 weeks after I bought the car from a German BMWdealer with warranty, But after a period with unhappiness towered BMW the problem was solved in a satisfactory way.

Oil-pumpbolts get loose by time/were, To a degree so you almost can count them beeing loose after 150tkm+ on all M60 engines and it's looking to be the same problem with M62 engines as well, Mine were loose, My friend has his second 540iA E34 Touring both had lose bolts and it's such a common problem that the German E34 forum has two polls on the issue. http://forum.e34.de/thread.php?threadid=12374&sid=, http://forum.e34.de/thread.php?threadid=12383&sid=

Best Regards, Stephan

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
OK, so where are they, and what gaskets do I need to order before I open her up? Can I check this from the outside or do I need to drop the sump? I have a ramp so lifting it is no problem.....

When got the car back from the local Bosch-dealer, and it was running like an old truck. Turned out they "forgot" to properly mount the intake hose to throttlebody and "forgot" to properly attach the sump-vent hosegrrrrrrr .... No wonder it ran on 4 cilinders. All is well now.

Edit:

Just had word from the Eibach-people, 2-weeks delivery :grrrrr: for my rear springs and Stabi's......

Kind regards,

Steve

Stephan735i said:
Very intresthing, I really love all details and spec. about the 540 cars.:M5thumbs:

Oil-pumpbolts get loose by time/wear, To a degree so you almost can count them beeing loose after 150tkm+ on all M60 engines and it's looking to be the same problem with M62 engines as well, Mine were loose, My friend has his second 540iA E34 Touring both had lose bolts and it's such a common problem that the German E34 forum has two polls on the issue.

Best Regards, Stephan

1 - 20 of 31 Posts