BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I have a 2000 540i E39, I was driving about 65 in fifth gear when I went to shift to sixth I could get it in gear, my rpms built up to about 6000. I pulled over because I thought that I lost power, I killed the car and started it again put it in first and I didn’t move, same with reverse and second gear. The clutch pedal feels like there’s more pressure behind it. This is my first BMW and I was wondering if anyone had any insight on this situation?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Surprised that nobody jumped in to help you, so I will try.

Could be a clutch or a transmission problem. Try one thing, put the car into fifth and let out the clutch with the engine idling. See if that kills the engine. Normally with a manual transmission if you can put it into gear, let out the clutch and the engine revs without the car moving, then you have a clutch failure. However, it can be a transmission failure as well. Your getrag 420g is a direct drive in 5th (power flows from input to output shaft, not through countershaft), and every other gear the power flows through the countershaft. Therefore if your cluster gear stripped/slipped inside the transmission, you will only have power flow in 5th and all the other gears will spin freely. In this case, you are looking for a replacement transmission, and might as well get the clutch replaced while you are at it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
These days used transmissions seem to go for $600-1000, based on mileage. Then you'd have to pay someone to install it. I don't know how much that would cost to have someone install it. You are on a primarily DIY forum, so most people here do the work themselves.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Can you confirm that the transmission will only work in 5th gear and spins freely in all other gears? If that is the case then there is no real rebuild solution. It is relatively easy to fix leakage issues with this transmission, or replace some of the shifting mechanism components. However, in your case you have a hard part failure. Replacement parts aren't available and will have be sourced from a used transmission anyhow. You current trans is not a usable core. As such, unless you want to buy a remanufactured unit from BMW (I think ~$6k), then your only option is a used unit from a junkyard. Obviously that carries risk because you can't know the condition of the used unit until you install it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts