BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
2,149 Posts
As a previous owner of a N54 335i, two of them actually, for almost 7 years and heavy into the modding scene and repair scene... The N54 is is a prblem motor with alot of issues that can leave you stranded as i was 3 times. On top of that, to even be as fast as a M5, even in stock form, you need to be FBO, run E85 and meth, or race gas.. To even keep up. I was able to beat my good friends great running 335i N54 FBO on meth after 120mph.. I was 100% stock, the E60 would do worse in the same race.

Cant believe they used the term bulletproof.. Injectors leaking, injectors failing, plugs misfiring, coils failing, fuel pump dying, ( twice on me), charge pipe cracking, boost leaks, carbon build up on the intake ports, turbos smoking and failing ( even on stock boost) rattling waste gates, etc etc..

I had every single one of these problems on both my 335i's N54's..

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
As a previous owner of a N54 335i, two of them actually, for almost 7 years and heavy into the modding scene and repair scene... The N54 is is a prblem motor with alot of issues that can leave you stranded as i was 3 times. On top of that, to even be as fast as a M5, even in stock form, you need to be FBO, run E85 and meth, or race gas.. To even keep up. I was able to beat my good friends great running 335i N54 FBO on meth after 120mph.. I was 100% stock, the E60 would do worse in the same race.

Cant believe they used the term bulletproof.. Injectors leaking, injectors failing, plugs misfiring, coils failing, fuel pump dying, ( twice on me), charge pipe cracking, boost leaks, carbon build up on the intake ports, turbos smoking and failing ( even on stock boost) rattling waste gates, etc etc..

I had every single one of these problems on both my 335i's N54's..
I absolutely agree! My time working at the dealer I have seen N54s in for all kinds of repairs many of which you just mentioned.

For the N54 to even keep up with the M5 all the mods that need to be done make it just as unreliable as the M5 is made out to be lol. The article is kind of written poorly imo like a lot Jalopnik's are. ouich

·
2,149 Posts
I absolutely agree! My time working at the dealer I have seen N54s in for all kinds of repairs many of which you just mentioned.

For the N54 to even keep up with the M5 all the mods that need to be done make it just as unreliable as the M5 is made out to be lol. The article is kind of written poorly imo like a lot Jalopnik's are. ouich
Yup! If anyone can represent both cars here i think its me, i spent over 6 years with two N54 335i;s, coupe and sedan.. Have 4200 posts on my last username on e90post which is 5soko, and 2,500 posts on my first username i used on e90post.com.. Si safe to say i know those cars in and out, and mods in and out... I loved my 335i, but the issues, repairs, times left stranded, and power they made are the facts i stated above without any bias. Sure the M5 has its issues, but the joy of the SMG, and the power/sound of the S85, esp the powerband, where the N54 top end is horrible and dead, will never be as great of a experience, EVER! The E60 M5 is sp special for so many reasons, big tires, LSD, wide fenders, edc, its just such a extremely differen car even outside the engine and trans, just no comparison.

They really let anyone write articles there now i guess..

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the equivalent mods on the 535i, to be far they should compare FBO N55/N54 vs FBO S85 + Supercharger.

Reactions: Chill Will

·
Registered
240 Posts
I just crack up reading that article... If you mod this, gas that, then it's "better"... Omg really- this was entertaining but I just got back from 2 weeks away and took the beast for a rip; can't imagine anything coming close to the M5. I love all kinds of cars, but the s85 is intoxicating- I can't think of how the entry level e60 could be better...

·
Registered
729 Posts
I bet corvette owners all say that a basic vette is better than a zo6 too, or better yet the zr1......people are just annoying.

Reactions: Killer-Bimmer

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
lol.... That was a waste of time. I had friends that use to mod the sh!t out of their sleds (snowmobiles). You know what happened; I rode my stock POS all day and waited for them to either tune or repair. Don't get me wrong I like mods: but to say its better than the M5 after you spent all that money to get close and in the end it still hasn't beat it.... Funny stuff...

Cheers!

·
Registered
975 Posts
as an owner of a 335i n54 I have to say this machine was built to perform. Yes, of course the E60 hands down is better....no doubt....however, I've already put a few mods on the 335i and it will def keep up with the e60. I also like the sounds the turbo's give off. It's a great motor but it's still no s85, i mean let's be honest LOL....

Reactions: WuTang

·
Registered
975 Posts
This is what I'm talking about.....I have a 2007 335i twin turbo and I am very impressed. I have a few mods and although I haven't raced an e60 m5 yet I think this would be the result. I have to say that the M5 is WAYYYYYY more exciting tho. No question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtscC_iEWI0

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
Let's compare FI with FI and then see what happens......all I'm sayin :M5thumbs:

Reactions: AGM5

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Whoever wrote that original article about 535i vs M5 is just butthurt that he doesn't have an M5, and he is writing that article to try and justify the wrong purchase he had made.

·
Registered
975 Posts
if you can't afford an M5 the 535i N54 is a great car any way you look at it. just sayin.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
if you can't afford an M5 the 535i N54 is a great car any way you look at it. just sayin.
No disagreement there, but maybe the author should have just said that instead of implying that a 535i is actually "better" than a M5. At the very least he should have said that a modded 535i is almost as good as a M5...

·
Registered
975 Posts
No disagreement there, but maybe the author should have just said that instead of implying that a 535i is actually "better" than a M5. At the very least he should have said that a modded 535i is almost as good as a M5...
$ For $ I think there's a good argument for the value BUT def not in a straight up comparison of "which is better".....I think what the author may be missing is that the M is more than just a better engine/trans/badge...

Reactions: Joe T

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Exactly my point. I am not saying 535 can't get close or is a bad car. All that caught my eye is the fact that he was saying 535 was better than M5.

Technically, you can say "Toyota Prius is better than M5" and it will be true. It all depends on the judgement criteria. The person who wrote that article does have valid points about 535 being "better" than M5 because of better fuel consumption and etc. What makes no sense to me is who the target audience of that article are supposed to be though for the article to make sense.

If his target audience were economy drivers then they would most likely agree on those points, but they would most likely have never read the article in the first place because BMW 535 and M5 are not the typical things that come to mind of eco drivers. They would have just skipped the article and looked for something with words "value", "green" and "mpg" in them.

If his target audience were car enthusiasts then he would have definitely gotten clicks on his article primarily because of the controversial title "535 is better than M5". But if his intended target audience were petrol and gearheads, then no way in hell anyone would ever agree because the "better" criteria for those people are not economy, value and MPG but horsepower, handling, feel and 0-60 times. In those criteria M5 is a definitely better car so I am confused about the whole point of the article to begin with.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Can I strap a jet engine to a turd and say its better than my M5???? Or would it be strapping the turd to the engine..

I drive an ///M because I like it, not because everyone else does or doesnt. Whats the point of comparing these two great (IMO) cars while being completly bias? If you want M5 everything in your car, buy an M5... just saying....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts