BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I know the E39 540's came with xenon lights standard, did any of the 530's come like that too, or were the xenon's an option? or were they just all halogen? thanks.

-R

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, yes, the facelift 530i came with optional HIDs (2000 and up), while the base still featured halogens. If you want the part numbers for halogen lights, let me know.
Hi thanks for the information. Actually what would be helpful are tips on how to identify the type of headlight in a 530 as halogen or xenon. My only idea is to just turn them on and see what color the light is.

-R

·
Vendor
72 Posts
I'm afraid the color won't tell you anything about the bulbs you've got there. As both HIDs and halogens may be white, blue, yellowish. What will make difference is the bulb itself. Or the bulb size, if you happen to find it out. See the picture, here's what is different

Now, here are the headlights that will work on the 530i with factory halogens. For the HIDs, the whole headlight setup would be different, as well as the bulbs and the way they operate.
As for the bulb sizes, the halogen bulbs are marked as H1, H7, H4, 9004, 9007 etc. The HIDs installed by the factory feature bulb sizes like D2S, D2H, D2R....
One more idea to check whether the 530i is halogen or xenon is to turn on lights and see if they will flicker once right away, you know, like HIDs usually do. Those are the things that come to my mind. Hope this helps, man!

·
Registered
50 Posts
you can always pop the hood and check for the ballast box. alternatively run the last 7 of the vin in a decoder online and see if it was optioned with xenon. otherwise pretty impossible to tell from two cars just parked and lights turned off

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
bimmerzeit
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing