BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen this m5 in the 11 page article on this site. I liked it alot. However, i was just curious how they get that extra 100 hp? I didnt know there was that much more on tap that could be tuned..any help would be greatly apprectated..thanks guys

·
Registered
158 Posts
i guess i'm blind or dense, but i can't find any such article. very curious to read it!

please post an URL for the idiots in the crowd ;-)

shawn

·
Registered
122 Posts
The extra 100hp I believe comes from the new exhaust and extensive engine tuning including a chip and a de-limiter.

- matt -

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Try cams? This thing has variable valve timing! It should already (and does) have a pretty damn good cam. I wonder how many aftermarket designers are prepared to even design a cam for a VANOS system?

Comments?

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Definitely the best aftermarket conversion of the M5 I have ever seen. The power is 503 bhp, mainly acheived by additional air intakes/blowers forcing air through fast flow filters into the air box (which itself is heat shielded underneath to add 20 bhp alone) and by replacing the stock exhaust with a free flowing design. The company is known as Nowack and the model number is IN500

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
According to article in BMW Car the following mods have been done to M5 engine to reach 503bhp:
Air intakes under front bumper to improve airflow into primary air-boxes.
Pair freeflow air filters.
Underneath of pancake airbox coated in reflective material to reduce intake temperature by 24 degrees (+20bhp)!!!
Turning intake pipes into trumpet shape to increase airflow.
Each throttle body gas-flowed and butterflies reshaped.
Add race style exhaust headers and 80mm exhaust reduce back pressure by half.
Cylinder heads ported and polished and valves reprofiled.
Change camshafts and reprogram software.
Uprated clutch.

Results = 503bhp at 7700
465lb ft torque at 3800rpm
0-60 4.5 secs
0-124 14.6 secs
max - 198mph

·
Registered
257 Posts
Greg,

What is a "pretty damn good cam"? VANOS does not obviate the need for a cam to get serious power. In any case, this proves the point that the S62 cannot be pumped-up with a few simple bolt-ons.

Dan

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
I inquired them about the mods, and they told me it must be modified at their factory, and the mods won't be sold seperately.. It's a little over 50,000 Deutch marks, which is about 25,000 USD for that car they show. The engine mods alone is 37,000 Deutsch marks.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have driven the Nowack M5, pushing it hard for appx 40 minutes on Autobahn, and I must say that I don´t believe a word of the claimed numbers. 503 hp?? No way...

The chassi and the brakes feel a lot better since they´re much more "racing-adjusted" than stock. But when it comes to the engine... Well, simply said, when I drove an original M5 and the sales manager at Nowack drove the Nowack M5, I didn´t have any trouble whatsoever keeping up with him. Of course, our car still having the speed limiter, he was able to pull away >250 km/h. The thing is, that the loud exhaust sound makes for a FEEL of more hp, but I seriously doubt that they exist... We didn´t get to see any tests on dynos, neither in real life nor on paper, and when asking about how they tested the engine, the manager just gave a humpty-dumpty answer.

So, in conclusion:
Their road kit is nice, with good brakes, suspension, anti-roll bars as well. Exhaust? Well, depends on what you like regarding the sound (remember that a "sport"-exhaust can LOWER the hp on your car. Make sure that the people making the exhaust has tested it extensively on the dyno, have papers to prove it, and a warranty that goes with it). But paying close to 20.000 US for that engine??? I don´t think so...

Best regards
Peter Gutniak

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
Peter,
do you think that their car can actually go up to 198mph as they claim it can? That sounds quite a dissapointment if you add 100hp to the engine and it performs exactly the same as a stock M5....
Terence

·
Registered
122 Posts
You must realize that the car's tourgue band is now reached at higher rpm's than before. Because of this, the direct result is about the same accel times as the stock (even though the in500 has 503hp), but, it's able to get you up to 198mph.

- matt -

·
Registered
257 Posts
Bull... If the torque band is higher than you just launch the car at higher revs and shift at higher revs. If you are putting more power to the pavement (within the confines of traction), then you will accelerate faster. Period.

Dan

·
Registered
122 Posts
...allright... i'll give in to that argument. you got it right on the money daniel.

- matt -

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Originally posted by tfung:
That sounds quite a dissapointment if you add 100hp to the engine and it performs exactly the same as a stock M5....
Terence

The question is whether it is 100 HP... Read the review on the site. I drove it also.

Also, check the thread "More Power from Kelleners"

This added about 50 HP. And almost the same modifications as Kelleners.

Also, Racing Dynamics have the Nowack kit.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Originally posted by daniel:
Greg,

What is a "pretty damn good cam"? VANOS does not obviate the need for a cam to get serious power. In any case, this proves the point that the S62 cannot be pumped-up with a few simple bolt-ons.

Dan
I think we're both saying the same thing. The semantic issues are with what "serious power" means. But you're right - no cheap fixes are going to result in 100hp increases on this engine!

Cams do two things: open valves ("lift"), and control how long they're open ("duration"). And an engine's power comes from only one thing: how much gas/air mix you can get into a cylinder at the proper "stoichiometric (sp?)" ratio. There are a boatload of conflicting goals in cam design - but clearly just leaving the intake valve open longer or opening it further doesn't mean you get more power with no tradeoffs. In particular, "hot" cams tend to produce better breathing (and hence, power) at high RPM, but only at the expense of low-end torque and idle smoothness.

I'm sure one could design a cam with better high end power for the S62. Apparently this is one of the things NOWACK did. I only point out that with VANOS, a number of the constraints on cam design are removed, allowing the engineers to design in a much more aggressive cam while still maintaining low-end torque and smoothness. I believe the BMW engineers did this with the stock cam - after all - the S62 engine is producing 400 hp from only 5 liters - 300 cubic inches, and pretty amzing torque at low RPM.

By comparison, I have a new boat with a 7.4L big block - 455 cubic inches - with EFI - and it is ONLY 300 hp.

That isn't to say it cannot be improved, but recognize that the designers of a VANOS-compatible camshaft have to be MUCH more sophisticated than is required for a traditional engine.

I believe NOWACK modified the valve timing control software along with the other changes they made, and these changes were done in concert with many other costly and labor-intensive changes designed to promote freer breathing. Breathing is only as good as the weakest link - a cam by itself, for example, won't help much. My hat is off to them for a very thorough and wholistic approach - the only approach that WILL work for an egnine that is already as sophisticated as the S62.

That's what I meant.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts