BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody any idea what this option is. The Sports Seats are standard in the UK but this option cost another £1,235 so want to know what it provides. On top of that is the Active Seat Ventilation at £810 which I wont be ordering.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Yes John, the M Multifunction seat includes seat position memory (as with my comfort seats) and the adjustable lumber support (4MF) which automatically pumps up one side or the other as you take corners hard. My understanding is that it can be 'programmed' in some fashion using the M drive system to match the driving conditions (e.g. comfort or sport).

Here's an extract from the official info:

"Sports-minded drivers in particular can order the optional M multifunction seat featuring active backrest width adjustment. The foam part geometry for this seat has also been reconceived for optimum comfort and perfect side support: both backrest width and side support adjust independently in each driving situation, the automatic adjustment being effected, inter alia, according to lateral acceleration and steering angle."

I have ordered these seats.

My only question is whether the Active Seat (bum massage) option will be available in conjunction with these seats - does anyone here know?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ashok Arora said:
Yes John, the M Multifunction seat includes seat position memory (as with my comfort seats) and the adjustable lumber support (4MF) which automatically pumps up one side or the other as you take corners hard. My understanding is that it can be 'programmed' in some fashion using the M drive system to match the driving conditions (e.g. comfort or sport).

Here's an extract from the official info:

"Sports-minded drivers in particular can order the optional M multifunction seat featuring active backrest width adjustment. The foam part geometry for this seat has also been reconceived for optimum comfort and perfect side support: both backrest width and side support adjust independently in each driving situation, the automatic adjustment being effected, inter alia, according to lateral acceleration and steering angle."

I have ordered these seats.

My only question is whether the Active Seat (bum massage) option will be available in conjunction with these seats - does anyone here know?
Thanks Ashok, For the Active Seat Ventilation you need both the Full leather option (X2) and also the M Multifuntrion Seat option!!

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Are you sure you can't get the perforated leather in Extended Leather (as opposed to Full Leather only)? Sounds like a rip-off :grrrr:

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ashok Arora said:
Are you sure you can't get the perforated leather in Extended Leather (as opposed to Full Leather only)? Sounds like a rip-off :grrrr:
The perforated merino leather is only available in full leather option. The extended merino leather is standard in the UK. The Active Ventilated Seat option definately states you need Option X2 which is the Full Perforated Merino Leather Upholstary(5,285 pds). You can also get Full Merino Leather Upholstary which is option X3 (5,285 pds)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Both the extended leather and perforated leather are only available in three colours, Black, Silverstone and Sepang Bronze. If you want perforated leather you must specify M Multifunction seats (that dont massage your bum Ashok, confirmed by dealer this afternoon!) and Ventilation. Thats as I understand it anyway!

Regards

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
I don't want Comfort Seats again but I want the Bum Massage (active seat) - is this at all possible? (And please no gay sauna jokes!)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sports seats are listed as standard and the only option is 4MA M Multifunction Sports seats which are described as "Multifunction Sports seats with driver memory (similar to 456 Comfort Seats) includes 4MF Active seat back width adjustment for driver and front passenger."

456 Comfort seats are not listed as an option therefore I assume you will be left wanting Ashok.

Regards

·
Registered
178 Posts
Just specced my car and I'm still confused about the 4MA option and what they look like. My understanding is they offer width adjustment and lumbar support, together with full adjustment for the passenger's seat. Thing is I've just added lumbar support to the standard seats as a no cost option.

Also if you look at the literature and the in-showroom configurator there is some disagreement on the backrest seam detail. Brochure shows 3 horizontal seams for M Multifunction seats whereas the in-showroom configurator shows 3 seams for the standard M seats. I'm confused hmmm

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went in today and confirmed my spec and went with the standard sports seats which seem to have all the electric adjustments then added option 488 Lumbar Support at no charge.

·
Registered
178 Posts
JohnH said:
I went in today and confirmed my spec and went with the standard sports seats which seem to have all the electric adjustments then added option 488 Lumbar Support at no charge.
My understanding is the standard seats do not have width adjustmemt on the backrest side supports, and reduced adjustment on the passenger side ie. no tilt.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Can someone post the pics of the definitive MF sports seats. I've seen the standard seats, the paris ventilated seats and another one.

thanks.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
360bhp said:
Can someone post the pics of the definitive MF sports seats.
Here you go - these are 4MA M Multifunction seats (as seen in Paris):

You can recognize M Multifunction seats (4MA) as, uniquely, they have three lines of stitching above the lumbar region of the seat. All other seats (e.g. sports seats) have fewer lines in this area.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Ashok

Hi - I am puzzled as these seats come without the centre console buttons for the seat boosters. I think these are the normal M sport seats.

However I have seen seats with centre console buttons for seat boosters and possibly believe these are the MF M sports seats but with performated seats with no 2 or 3 stitching lines?

I am totally confused now.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
It is confusing until we see the different seats in person.

I reckon the best way to approach this is to think "the more lines of stiching the more advanced the seat".

Have a look at these (ignore the perforated leather) - these are the Sport Seats that come standard on the M5:

Note that there is only one line on the back surface instead of three.

There are a number of possibilities for the lack of buttons on the centre console:

- The cars in Paris were pre-production models so the buttons/seats could be mismatched and/or nonfunctional.

- The cars in Paris had configurations that are not available in real life, e.g. Multifunction seats (4MA) without the adjustible bolsters (488). In reality if you order 4MA you automatically get 488.

- In theory, you could have sport seats and just specify the side bolsters as an option (that's what it looks like in the photo above).

- It could be that the Multifunctionality is now transferred solely to I-drive

The bottom line is you have to decide whether you want to fork out the extra money for the Multifunction seats. JohnH has decided not to, I have decided to go with them - it's a matter of personal preference.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Ashok;
Isn't the 2nd picture, a form of comfort seat? They have the split upper back just like the e39 comfort seats. The top picture doesn't show that.

PS: US market e39 M5s couldn't get the active/comfort seats. I'm betting the e60 M5 will be the same.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Ashok, i think the second seat you posted is actually the active seat, but not the stand seat.

notice, the leather colour seat-back, and seatback is in 2 segments for more adjustability.

this is what the center console of that Sepang Bronze M5 looks like from Paris AUto Show.

Attachments

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'd also think the second image is the 4MA seats. You can see the split back rest and I believe that it says somewhere they are like comfort seats. The options list somewhere, sorry can't remember where, you could have standard sports seats with the dynamic side support. But this option isn't on the dealer system.

Ashok
Can't you get the massage option through Individual? They must have the seats as frames to put the chosen leather on.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
These are NOT comfort seats. Comfort Seats are not available on the M5.

Here is a picture of comfort seats (with TV screens fitted) - note the unique shape of the headrest with the extra front "pillow":

The Active Seat (massage) option is only available with Comfort Seats, as was the case with the E39; therefore the Active Seat option will NOT be available for the E60 M5.

BMW have decided not to offer Comfort Seats in any market on the M5 as the costs of doing this are not justified due to the low demand for such an option.

I accept that the second photo shows a seat with adjustible shoulder bolsters but I presume this is now provided with the sport seats. The seats in the second photo are definitely not Multifunction Seats (4MA) nor are they Comfort Seats (as shown above), so surely they must be the sports seats.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Ashok, i also think the seat in the second picture is the optional M multifunction seats.

as per BMW's official documentation, M multifunction seat has active side bolster support. and the console of that Sepang Bronze M5 also has some extra buttoms (maybe the adjustment for active side bolster) that the Silverstone II M5 from the Paris Auto Show (with seat that has 3 line stichings) doesn't have.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 83 Posts