BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First and foremost, thanks to everyone that shares their knowledge and experience, greatly appreciated and as much as I like working on cars I would not attempt to do any of these repairs without the information available on this board.

With 90K miles on the clock of my 06 M5, I received the red COG for the transmission. The car kept going into and out of gear before it finally would not go back into gear. Lucky for me I got the exit just before getting on the San Mateo bridge! Anyhow, I pulled the codes after getting the car towed back home. The following codes showed up: 4FA0, 510E, 4F80, 4F82, 4F83, 4F85, 510D and car would not start. I knew I was due for a new clutch so no biggie.

Dropped the transmission and to my surprise the clutch looked ok (still dropping in a new one) but the slave cylinder was lets just say non-functional. The piston had detached from the cylinder and the nuts that secured the cylinder to the housing had come loose.

Parts are due in tomorrow, I hope I don't find anymore surprises…

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Slave cylinder went out on mine too, but I didn't generate the additional codes you had.

Are you planning to do the flywheel along with the clutch? Attached is a picture of mine and the clutch at 65k miles.

I queried the SMG awhile back and found it had about 8 launches on it. I've only launched mine once and the car smelled of burnt clutch afterwards, so I never did it again.. Not sure if those flywheel burn marks are from me..

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It didn't look to bad, no marks like the picture you posted but know you have me wondering if I should for piece of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Closing the thread. Replaced the slave cylinder, clutch, pilot bearing, guide bushing, release bearing, ball pin with clip. The M started back up and now shifting smooth as butter. Word to the wise, if you are doing this by yourself re-installing the transmission is a great pain in the neck.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well, I'm back where I started...LOL. Yesterday I received the red COG for the transmission.

Pulled the codes with DIS and same 4FA0, 510E, 510D codes. The odd thing is that I went through the DIS test schedule for PLCD sensor, once I completed that test schedule the fault cleared! Not sure what to make of this. Just last Aug2017 I had to drop the transmission and discovered that the slave cylinder needed to be replaced and while the transmission was out I threw in a new clutch.

If it is the PLCD sensor, when it fails, is it possible that it's an intermittent failure?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Yes, but they rarely actually fail.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Since I dropped the transmission back in August to replace the slave cylinder, I’m hoping my PLCD sensor did fail. I have my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the PLCD sensor plug and play or do I need to run DIS to program after install?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ok, looks like I need to adapt complete transmission after PLCD sensor replacement.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Installed new PLCD and fault is gone. I guess the only difference between the two different times I got the 4FA0 codes is that when it was caused by the PLCD sensor, the car would Stuart up after the fault, versus when the slave cylinder catastrophically failed, the car did not start up after the fault (I’m guessing because the loss if pressure in the SMG hydraulic system).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Happy for you sjsuM5 that you managed to fix one more time your problem.

If I remember correct, somewhere in old thread I saw opinion, that once you change a Slave Cylinder it has to go with a new PDLC sensor for some reason. I guess kind of same thing like the 4 Hall sensors rail on the Regulator Block on the top of the Getrag gearbox, which is not interchangeable.

Soon I am planing Flywheel/ Clutch/ Slave/ DC Pump change, so was wondering, should I go for a new PLCD as well or I can hold on that...
Anybody else with experience installing new Slave Cylinder but putting back the old PLCD and later having troubles?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
If I could do it all over again I would replace the PLCD sensor when I dropped the transmission as preventative maintenance and peace of mind.

·
2,132 Posts
Happy for you sjsuM5 that you managed to fix one more time your problem.

If I remember correct, somewhere in old thread I saw opinion, that once you change a Slave Cylinder it has to go with a new PDLC sensor for some reason. I guess kind of same thing like the 4 Hall sensors rail on the Regulator Block on the top of the Getrag gearbox, which is not interchangeable.

Soon I am planing Flywheel/ Clutch/ Slave/ DC Pump change, so was wondering, should I go for a new PLCD as well or I can hold on that...
Anybody else with experience installing new Slave Cylinder but putting back the old PLCD and later having troubles?
Should be 0 problem installing a new slave with a old plcd... You will have to run the full 3 step adaption for the trans after these repairs anyways so everything will adapt properly to each other regardless new or old.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Also consider the risk the PLCD failing and being stranded in BFE...

The tow alone may cover the part cost.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts