BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

101 - 110 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Nothing wrong in trying, but the smg doesn't 'remember' or cares what the last fork position is. That's what the gear position sensor is for. But you may find something else while in there...

Here's something else: install one single oring on a solenoid and install it. Make sure you can 'feel' it sealing when installed. No way you can tell whether all orings are sealing when installing the solenoid with all of them in place.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I hope you can find the smoking gun when you get to the actuator block again. My opinion is that you should use OEM o rings or their direct aftermarket equivalent in terms of material and diameter. These hydraulic actuation systems are VERY sensitive and totally dependent on how the seals perform.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #103 (Edited)
If I am a betting man, I bet the gearshift fork for R/1 that I moved slightly is the problem because it’s no longer in centre position at point of travel instead 1 is engaged as a centre position of travel as a function of N. Look at teach in transmission error. It stated so clearly.

When all selector rod is in centre position, the gear position sensor signal to the transmission unit that all selector rod is in centre position and the computer read that as “N” and then the computer communicates to the cluster unit that “N” is currently engaged then the computer automatically set the the shift lever to N if you use INPA or ISTA.

Prior to transmission work, I placed the shift lever in “N”, the computer signal to the SMG unit that “N” has been requested, the SMG unit signal to selector rod and the clutch that “N” is requested, selector rod put the current engaged gear into centre position and clutch open then gear position sensor signal to the SMG unit that all selector rods are now in centre position, SMG unit noted that as “N”, then SMG unit signal to the cluster that “N” has been engaged and memory is stored when transmission is disconnected from communications unit.

Now that I misaligned one gearshift fork which is R/1 by moving it backward slightly without moving the selector rod, essentially engaged 1 as a function of N and reinstalled the transmission, and the computer woken to a different position of travel from stored memory position of travel as there is a parameter to exert amount of force of travel to move the gearshift fork to engage a gear as not to damage the gearshift fork and parameter that the computer woken to is incorrectly and can’t correct it on its own and this make sense to me.

Per the instructions, has ask that before reinstall the actuator block, is to make sure all the selector rods and gearshift forks are in centre position.

What I will do is put all gearshift forks and selector rod in centre position and reinstall the transmission verify if that’s actually the issue.

If issue isn’t correct then I will redo the actuator o-rings.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Adjusting the gearshift fork R/1 to centre position as a initial position of travel has correct the problem.

However now I have another issue, it’s regarding the notion that max number of times of performing the gearbox adaptation has exceeded.

Error entry: “Max. permissible time for adaptation has been exceeded” INPA

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Doesn't sound like you fixed anything. I see the same error in german now. That translates to time out while finding the middle point. .

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Same with ISTA, this time its just timeout. Both stopped at 5th gear.

Now that I put all the selector rod and gearshift fork to centre position. The N is now the current engaged gear instead of 1. The car can now move freely.

Engage or Disengage is still the problem.

I remember precisely, when I reinstalled the transmission first time after 4f43 code. The car was able to change gears R N D and it stopped after the second time charm.

"Max permissible time for adaptation has been exceeded." I thought it meant, adaptation for gearbox has exhausted and no additional adaptation can be perform and it seems to consistent with my interpration in the error memory entry in the transmission unit . I highlighted something in the attachment.

German:
fehlermeldung einer adaption: ie maximale zeit die eine adaption am band in anspruch nehmen darf ist ueberschritten

English:

Error message of an adaptation: The maximum time that an adaptation to the band may take is exceeded

Clutch bleed- successful 3x
Actuator bleed- successful 3x
Clutch adapt- successful
Gearbox adapt- failed
clutch slipping point- successful

My solution is replaced the transmission control unit.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
So based on the translation you provided on the error message you are getting it appears the SMG is taking too long to respond to the shift command, and not that it has exhausted the amount of times to be adapted as you suggest. Im still leaning towards a mechanical issue rather than electronic. Something is stuck or not sealing well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #109 (Edited)
That could be it. I have been doing a bit of thinking. What about the pressure valve connector installed incorrectly? The picture below was when I removed the transmission prior to any work. I recalled I reconnected the connectors for the pressure valve in a different way in a way to make thing a bit easier to release the connector from the valves. Instead of green wires to where it was prior as a function of pressure valve 2 and the brown and black wires as a function of pressure valve 1 instead I had them in reverse, basically green wire(2) now is connect to pressure valve 1 and so on. I reread SMG manual for my perusal.

The manual quoted the following:

“Pressure control valve
(for actuating the 2 shift travel valves for the gearshift mechanisms for reverse/1st gear and 5th/3rd gear)”

“Pressure control valve
(for actuating the 2 shift travel valves for the
gearshift mechanisms for 6th/7th gear and 2nd/4th)”

Honestly, I am not quite sure which pressure valve the manual is referring to but if my guess is any good. I think pressure valve 1 is responsible for actuating R/1 and 5/3 gear and pressure valve 2 is responsible for actuating 6/7 and 2/4 gear.

And if we were to look at the error code of 4F82 and 4F85 stating not able to engage 1/R and not possible to engage 4/2.

The assumption is that valve 1 (brown\black) wiring is responsible to actuate 1/R and valve 2 wiring is responsible for 4/2. Since these wires connect in reserve. My thinking is that the system is not actuating the correct gear. for example, when the SMG computer received a signal that position 1 has been requested, SMG computer signal to the valves for 1 to be engaged, (not sure how it works after that) the switch valve switch position 1 and pressure valve 1 should supposedly actuate 1\R instead pressure valve 2 was actuated. If it is important to correcting the connectors, I am surprised that was not mention in repair or replace manual.

Possible solution: put green wires to be function as valve 2 and brown/black wires to be function as valve 1.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
“When installing, pay attention without fail to yellow marking.”

I do not really know what’s that suppose to mean, perhaps the yellow tape is an indication of where the valve connectors suppose to be. Since I don’t think the connectors are not where it should be perhaps that might be the problem.

I don’t plan on removing the tranmission instead I will just lower the transmission and try to swap the connectors and that will be what “to do”tomorrow.

Attachments

101 - 110 of 110 Posts