BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know... not another car purchase question. But I have to ask this one, as it may be interesting to others in the same position.

If one were to replace (sell) their E39 M5 and purchase another car (used preferably) at a budget of $45K-$40K or less, what would be the obvious choices.

I don't care if the replacement car ranges from a coupe to a 4 door, I'm just interested in knowing what other E39 enthusiasts would recommend based on the dollar figure above.

Thanks guys...!

Bojan

·
Registered
132 Posts
for ~45k, you could pick up a 2000 M5 :), great as a second car to that M5 you already own.

hey! this is an M5 board after all. I hope someone else answers your question though, I just couldn't resist.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Check out a used 04 or 03 Mustang Cobra. We all know the M5 can't be replaced, but the Cobra is a a lot of power, and very affordable. Of course you only get two doors with a Cobra, but you get 400 HP with great acceleration and good handling. You could spend 25-30K and get a nice one. Also, you could pick up a used Corvette Z06 for mid 30's. Fast and amazing handling. The corvette and cobra both have their pros and cons, but overall...I think they are overlooked and the one of the best bangs for your buck!

·
Registered
162 Posts
There's only one replacement for an M5; another M5, you can always purchase a 1995 M5 (the one with the 3.8L/347 horsepower, 6 speed, factory M floating disc racing brakes with 4-piston calipers, instead of the 2-piston calipers used on the E39 M5), the 95s normally sell for $25K - $30K.
it would be a nice compliment to your E39, plus you'll save approx $15K - $20K.

G

·
Registered
328 Posts
If you want some funfactor, for about 30K, you can get a Suburu STI,
They are fast enough, and with a little help, they scream. If you dont
need 4 doors, and used is OK, get a 99 M3. Personally, I have struggled with
what I would, or could replace my M5 with, and the only cars I can come
up with, cost 75K plus. There really is no real replacement.
Good luck though.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
The M5 can never be replaced...only temporarily substitued for.

RWD:
'05 G35 coupe
'00 M5
'01 540i

AWD:
'05 Volvo S60R
'05 Audi A4 UltraSport
'02 Audi S4

FWD:
'05 Acura TL (or is this car now awd?)
'05 Maxima SE

·
Registered
842 Posts
Bojan:

For Seattle, in the $40,000 market - and I'm guessing you like European automobiles - I'd look for a low mile 2002 Audi S8.

Derek

·
Registered
897 Posts
For me it would have to have 4-doors, rear or awd, manual, and be fun to drive. I am partial to new cars even though the logical side of my brain tells me the value in a low milage used cars is much better.

New:

BMW 330i with the performance package
Subaru WRX Sti
Mitsubishi EVO

Used:

E39 M5 - of course
Audi S4
Cadillac CTS v - when they come available in the price range

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
A 2005 Vette. A much better car than the previous model.

I've also heard good things about the new Acura RL, MazdaSpeed Miata, the new SLK 350.

I'm not buying anything, as I already have my RUF.

CP

·
Registered
12,774 Posts
Add the revised Pontiac GTO, Corvette drivetrain of 400hp and 6 speed, and a semi usable back seat and trunk. About $35 large. New Ford Mustand GT, 300 hp, stickers for under $30k (absent dealer "price adjustments"). If automatic is OK, Chrysler 300 Hemi (not my cup of tea, but it fits). 340 hp, about $36 large. Or go small, Mini S, mid to high $20's, add a 15% reduction power pulley for SC and CAI, maybe around $30k total invested , and over 200hp. All brand new, with full warranties (depending on what you do to the Mini). None replace the M5, but these are also some fun cars. cherrsagai
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
517 Posts
Nice preowned G35 sedan $25K
Greddy Turbo Kit $5000 + Installation $1000
Suspension Mods $3000 + Installation $1000

Total $35K

Result ~350 RWHP/~350 RWTQ

Meets or exceeds stock E39 M5 performance in a very comfortable package.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Mike0804 said:
Nice preowned G35 sedan $25K
Greddy Turbo Kit $5000 + Installation $1000
Suspension Mods $3000 + Installation $1000

Total $35K

Result ~350 RWHP/~350 RWTQ

Meets or exceeds stock E39 M5 performance in a very comfortable package.
Mike,

Will the Greddy turbo kit work for a 350z as well?

Thanks.

CP

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Serb said:
If one were to replace (sell) their E39 M5 and purchase another car (used preferably) at a budget of $45K-$40K or less, what would be the obvious choices.

Bojan
I'd try to find a Porsche 1996 993 C2S (and have a hard time at that), or a 2002 M3 Coupe. Possibly a 2000 996 Carrera.

·
Registered
517 Posts
chunpng said:
Mike,

Will the Greddy turbo kit work for a 350z as well?

Thanks.

CP
Yes. The 350Z and the G35 share the Nissan VQ35DE V6.

Look here:
G35 Twin Turbo
350Z Twin Turbo

I thought about building one of these while I'm waiting for my E60 to arrive. The only problem is finding a good preowned 6-speed G35 sedan for sale. They seem to be somewhat rare. Most are automatics. Plenty of 6-speed coupes available, but good preowned, non-abused, well-cared-for 6-speed sedans are hard to find. Most people who have them don't want to sell, at least not cheaply.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Mike0804 said:
Yes. The 350Z and the G35 share the Nissan VQ35DE V6.

Look here:
G35 Twin Turbo
350Z Twin Turbo

I thought about building one of these while I'm waiting for my E60 to arrive. The only problem is 6-speed G35 sedan are somewhat rare. Most are automatics. Plenty of 6-speed coupes available, but not as many sedans.
Mike, just curious what Atlanta dealer you have the 06 M5 ordered at? Did they give you a price? Best John

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
The following comes to mind:

New:

-Mitsubishi Evo
-Subaru STi
-New A4 V6 (255hp)
-Volvo S60R (although, I've heard some bad things about them from fellow board members)

Obviously, the cars mentioned above vary a lot in character, the first two being all out performance with high modification ability, and the last two being more sedate yet quick cars.

Used:

-02'-03' BMW M3 Coupe
-00'-01' BMW M5
-B5 Audi S4

The M3 looks like a really good choice to me, if you can live with 2 doors and a smaller trunk. The B5 S4 is a great car, with Quattro, 4 doors, and a twin turbo V6 capable of making 320hp with chip and exhaust, or over 400 with K04 turbo's, chip, exhaust.

Personally, I would probably go for an STi. You then have a new car with warranty, atleast 10K left over for whatever (suspension, wheels, chip, exhaust, stereo). Plus the 4 doors and all-wheel drive in the Northwest is great.

Travis

1 - 20 of 59 Posts