BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
49,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I visited Steve Dinan in Morgan Hill, California a few weeks ago and had an excellent time.

Steve Dinan also broke the news that there will be a V8 stroker engine to the BMW M3 V8 producing 520 HP :thumbsup:

Please enjoy the discussions below and the challenges of tuning today and if you have any question, just post them and I wil ltry to answer them. We talked alot more than what is caught on film :M5thumbs: Also, be sure not to miss my discussion with him back in the summer of 2008 (August) here.

Below you will find a 45 minute discussion / interview with Steve Dinan and me (Gustav) from March 2008. There are seven movies in total:

1. Q & A session with me outside infront of his personal M5. We're discussing the history of Dinan supercharged BMWs, planning behind the V10 stroker kit for M5 and M3.

2. Discussion in the engine room with the engine responsbile person (Frank) and Steve Dinan regarding the stroker and the diffeent challenges (alusil, Mahle pistons, longevity etc)

3. Discussion in the engine room. Discussion the launch of the M3 stroker, tolerances for tuning and future expandability of the V-10, normally aspirated vs supercharged and more.

4. Discussion in the engine room about the future of BMW M engines, the goal of the stroker project with 650 HP.

5. Steve Dinan shows the CAI E60 M5 prototype on his personal M5 and how the gains in HP are attained. Also how to measure the increases; dyno and fluid dynamics.

6. Development of the CAI: how one change cascades into several more changes on the CAI. We saw how the development process of the CAI in regards to the physical size to the BMW M5 and M6. Also, a closer look at the bushings and the hardness off the rubber in order to seal from the hot air. Also, a closer look at the F430 race engine for the GT race at Homestead in Florida.

7. A selection of quotes above related to the BMW M3 V8 stroker project.

Dinan HQ in Morgan Hill, Silicon Valley.

A classsic! BMW M3 E30!

The BMW Z8 with over 600 HP!

Steve's personal BMW M5 with the CAI prototype installed on the car.

The above will not be plastic.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks for these video's Gustav! These show us why DINAN is so dedicated and take there time in creating quality products. To those who say why do they cost so much, watch the video's and listen to how much time and effort Steve, Frank and team put in to there workmanship to giving us more power is astonishing! You definitley pay for the quality imo! Once again thanks so much Gustav!:thumbsup::cheers::1:

P.S. It is not the amount of horsepower I am always interested in, it's how long my car is gonna last me once I get the power. So I am in no way bashing nor bad mouthing any other great tuners out there, thanks!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Thanks for the videos Gustav! Lots of good information on the CAI.

I have to say though that I'm a little disappointed that the 20hp
includes the charcoal filters as well (correct me if I'm wrong). Certainly
a lot of engineering seems to have gone into it but it seems to tell
me that there isn't huge gains to be had from a CAI.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Great vids. Glad to see Steve open up and share his thoughts on these parts. You would think that since they can share development costs with the M3 stroker engine they could cut the price for the M5 stoker!!! Steve...listening??

Very insightful and enjoyable. Thank you.

Reactions: Gustav

·
Registered
637 Posts
+1. Yes, I get that there is a lot of engineering involved but
we are basically talking about 10hp here (-10 for charcoal filters).
10hp for +3500 (2500 speculated price tag + software). That sounds
crazy to me. Perhaps for the looks?
I believe Dinan was equating 7 hp to the CF removal and the additional 13 hp to the rest of the modifications as he stated CF removal equals 1/3 of the gain. Also, keep in mind that this is on a STOCK setup. I believe those of us with other intake/exhaust mods would see larger benefits. Maybe not. It depends upon the mods working synergistically together. But I believe the RPI scoops would create more of the ram air effect with these boxes because they appear to be sealed much better than the stock units. Also, this is what the intake of the M3 looks like. A much larger volume box, better sealed, better intake tube design, with an oval shaped conical type filter. So, there must be some logic to his thinking. I think Dinan was right that BMW learned from the shortcomings (although few) of the s85 and applied that knowledge to the s65. Now if I could just find someone that sells the M3 filter without the CF's integrated, I could get 7 - 10 hp right there on the M3.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I believe Dinan was equating 7 hp to the CF removal and the additional 13 hp to the rest of the modifications as he stated CF removal equals 1/3 of the gain. Also, keep in mind that this is on a STOCK setup. I believe those of us with other intake/exhaust mods would see larger benefits. Maybe not. It depends upon the mods working synergistically together. But I believe the RPI scoops would create more of the ram air effect with these boxes because they appear to be sealed much better than the stock units. Also, this is what the intake of the M3 looks like. A much larger volume box, better sealed, better intake tube design, with an oval shaped conical type filter. So, there must be some logic to his thinking. I think Dinan was right that BMW learned from the shortcomings (although few) of the s85 and applied that knowledge to the s65. Now if I could just find someone that sells the M3 filter without the CF's integrated, I could get 7 - 10 hp right there on the M3.

So the new M3 air filter is conical like the Dinan one? I wonder what the stock M3 box costs?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
It would appear there are 3 things we can do to the stock set up to help with gains.

1. Try removing the screen before the Air mass meter. Although this may cause some turbulance and reduce power as well.

2. Especially for those with the RPI scoops, seal the entire air box so air only comes in from where it is supposed to.

3. look into the M3 intake and or filter.

I guess number 4 is to plunck down the dough for the Dinan box. I does seems like only 13 hp gain (crank or to the wheels?, if it is only crank then no way.) afterall but they did their due diligence that is for sure. And it would be interesting to see how it works with the RPI scoops. I never did see the CAD drawing for those scoops.:hihi:

I must also add that there seems to be a dissconnect between cost and power sometimes. I have had discussions with Steve Dinan as well (at Bimmerfest) and the guy is sharp really sharp. Total engineer all the way. They obviously put alot of time and research into their products more so than most I would think. So why the hell do they only come up with so little? I guess it just seems like Dinan is really smart, does a ton of research, has alot of equipment and so on.

We sure go out of our way to dyno the competition, like RPI scoops, dyno proven for 15 hp. Evosport pulleys, dyno proven and so on. One answer might be that the other stuff is not CARB certified so they get away with more? Oh well enough said. I just want to believe that Dinan can get us the power and quality we all want. I am still looking for more though and left wanting.:dunno:

Reactions: Gustav

·
Registered
49,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree with you. Steve Dinan knows what he is talking about, that is for sure. You would not develop a project like the 5,7 liter V-10 stroker engine with warranty without the knowledge.

One thing to take into consideration with products to the BMW M5 is that there is so much smaller volume compared to for example the M3 or 335i so the research cost per item is alot higher than for more mainstrem BMW models.

I must also add that there seems to be a dissconnect between cost and power sometimes. I have had discussions with Steve Dinan as well (at Bimmerfest) and the guy is sharp really sharp. Total engineer all the way. They obviously put alot of time and research into their products more so than most I would think.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I agree with you. Steve Dinan knows what he is talking about, that is for sure. You would not develop a project like the 5,7 liter V-10 stroker engine with warranty without the knowledge.

One thing to take into consideration with products to the BMW M5 is that there is so much smaller volume compared to for example the M3 or 335i so the research cost per item is alot higher than for more mainstrem BMW models.
For sure good point Gustav. And thanks for posting the vids great job!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts

Concerning the stroker, after watching these videos it does scare me
a bit to wonder if other companies are doing this same type of
research with their strokers. Applying the same attention to detail.
I came away thinking that Dinan's stroker sounds pretty bullet proof.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Concerning the stroker, after watching these videos it does scare me
a bit to wonder if other companies are doing this same type of
research with their strokers. Applying the same attention to detail.
I came away thinking that Dinan's stroker sounds pretty bullet proof.
+1. I agree completely. I have been considering various alternatives for "always on" power increases. At one point, the stroker was at the top of the list. Then, after weighing cost vs. power, some other alterternatives (FI) seemed the better choice. But, after watching these videos, the stroker seems like the best way to go. Notice I did not say most powerful way to go. Best in terms of research, development, longevity, etc... Now if we can just get him to come down on the price a bit!

·
Registered
160 Posts
+1. I agree completely. I have been considering various alternatives for "always on" power increases. At one point, the stroker was at the top of the list. Then, after weighing cost vs. power, some other alterternatives (FI) seemed the better choice. But, after watching these videos, the stroker seems like the best way to go. Notice I did not say most powerful way to go. Best in terms of research, development, longevity, etc... Now if we can just get him to come down on the price a bit!
+2 I am also one who wants my E60 M5 to last as long as my dad's (now mine) 325e 1984. I am in the process of selling my E39 M5 and as soon as it goes the money will be used to mod the E60 (and of course pay off some bills:3:). My dad watched the video of Steve Dinan and the stroker kits and his exact words where "that guy know's what he is doing with BMW's" and my father is an electrical engineer and car enthusiast to. Quality is important to me and if I do decide to mod the E60 I wil have to consider the DINAN route. There are a lot of other geat tuners out there, just got to wait and see how the table pans out.:thumbsup:

Weird question, will hte stroker kit drastically reduce fuel mpg? Just surious, thanks guys!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.