BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Contemplating Selling my 42k 00' M5, I am testing the waters with this post.

I bought my 00 E39 back in 2019. It ended up being involved in an accident in 2020 with enough damage to the front that it was totaled by insurance. I decided to buy it back, as this was/is my dream car and the damage didn't seem too severe. I had it professionally repaired (approx. $15k), and it now has a rebuilt title. I just had the vanos rebuilt along with many sensors and other items ($7k) about a year ago. As it sits it feels perfect and looks very nearly perfect.

Wheels are original very slight paint chips in a couple of them, Just had Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's put on all four wheels. Less than 50 miles on them... Literally.

Just curious if anyone knows what it might be worth?

Thanks
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate
Car Land vehicle Plant Vehicle Grille
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Wheel Cloud Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reason being, we have a third child on the way. Additionally, I don't get to drive it as much as I'd like since I work from home. Part of me wants to keep it but I am torn.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Its worth what someone is willing to pay for it. You can use variety of sources at your disposal to determine the value, or - if you really interested to figure out how much it is worth using this forum - you could at least put more effort in your post with better description, multiple photos, maintenance/ownership history, etc. The difference in having original wheels in good condition with good fresh tires could be $2-3k.

Accident and a salvage title ($15k does not sound like a small repair) obviously affect the value, even if the repair was professionally done. Miles are rather low, but we don't even know the condition since you have not posted a single picture. Not sure what kind of response you were hoping for.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its worth what someone is willing to pay for it. You can use variety of sources at your disposal to determine the value, or - if you really interested to figure out how much it is worth using this forum - you could at least put more effort in your post with better description, multiple photos, maintenance/ownership history, etc. The difference in having original wheels in good condition with good fresh tires could be $2-3k.

Accident and a salvage title ($15k does not sound like a small repair) obviously affect the value, even if the repair was professionally done. Miles are rather low, but we don't even know the condition since you have not posted a single picture. Not sure what kind of response you were hoping for.
Fair critique, I guess I was looking for a range. However, Ill try to get more detailed information uploaded.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Stunning LMB M5!

These are just my reactions / thoughts. It will be very tough to replace if you ever get the itch to have another one after its gone. If its fully sorted, then it should be worth at least 28 to 30k. A worn out shell goes for 15k nowadays so add a motor or interior swap to bring a worn out one to mild driver spec and you are easily always at 20k minimum.

I think with inflation and E39s now getting more scarce (fewer being totalled / parted out) these are quickly becoming 30k minimum cars overall to own in upper quartile driving condition. That said, I usually run a bit counter to the market as I actually enjoy owning higher mileage cars and then rebuilding / refreshing them as part of my ownership. Its just a cheaper way to own one that looks and drives like a sub 50k car but is in better mechanical condition and cost about half as much.

·
1,951 Posts
So my first thoiught is that it's a lovely car, and if you possibly can you should keep it.

Actually my first thought was "Damn but LMB looks good in the sun. I wish mine was that tidy" but I digress.

If the steering wheel was on the right side I'd offer you a decent amount of money because it really is much nicer than mine. With that mileage in the UK you'd be looking at £40-50k BUT the rebuilt label might put folks off.

I don't know the US market so can't give you any useful information there. But congratulations on the pending new arrival, and try to work out a way to keep it - you have an appreciating asset there and you're going to be pushed to get another as good.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Stunning LMB M5!

These are just my reactions / thoughts. It will be very tough to replace if you ever get the itch to have another one after its gone. If its fully sorted, then it should be worth at least 28 to 30k. A worn out shell goes for 15k nowadays so add a motor or interior swap to bring a worn out one to mild driver spec and you are easily always at 20k minimum.

I think with inflation and E39s now getting more scarce (fewer being totalled / parted out) these are quickly becoming 30k minimum cars overall to own in upper quartile driving condition. That said, I usually run a bit counter to the market as I actually enjoy owning higher mileage cars and then rebuilding / refreshing them as part of my ownership. Its just a cheaper way to own one that looks and drives like a sub 50k car but is in better mechanical condition and cost about half as much.
Thanks for your thoughts, I think that price range seems realistic considering its rebuilt title.

You are totally right, if I ended up selling, I know I would regret it and end up wanting another.

I like your ownership philosophy on higher mileage though... you also don't have to deal with driving the car while experiencing the subtle guilt of adding miles to the engine. One of the "positives" of mine being rebuilt is that when I drive it, I don't feel as guilty as I did before.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So my first thoiught is that it's a lovely car, and if you possibly can you should keep it.

Actually my first thought was "Damn but LMB looks good in the sun. I wish mine was that tidy" but I digress.

If the steering wheel was on the right side I'd offer you a decent amount of money because it really is much nicer than mine. With that mileage in the UK you'd be looking at £40-50k BUT the rebuilt label might put folks off.

I don't know the US market so can't give you any useful information there. But congratulations on the pending new arrival, and try to work out a way to keep it - you have an appreciating asset there and you're going to be pushed to get another as good.
Much appreciated and thanks for the feedback.

It is definitely nice to have a car that is likely to increase in value or at least maintain it.

Damn, I might have to invent an easier way to have 3 kids in the back.

·
Registered
194 Posts
When we had our 3rd, I had a 1998 M3 4 door and convinced the wife we needed a bigger car so we could get all 3 in the back seat. So I got my LMB M5. Fit for all 3 was tight, but what a great family car!

Figure out how to keep it and enjoy it!

·
Registered
281 Posts
you should block your info in the pics. 00 and salvage title really hurt future value, think you always be in the 30s no matter if you pile on more miles and wear. if you do plan to keep and drive it, i would ppf the front, rock chips on repaint look horrible.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts