BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Arrived FedX at 10AM, installed by 2PM. Straight forward bolt-on, the only exception was very slight trimming of the sheet metal near the disk on the rears.

I don't have them bedded in yet, but initial 'round town impressions are:

- Initial bite is noticably better than stock. I didn't expect that with performance brakes.

- Initial pedal feel, hardness, and travel is nearly identical to stock. But the improved feedback through the foot provides much easier modulation and ultimate control. Once the system is bedded in, and after another bleed, I expect the pedal to be better still.

Don't even ask about racing, why I bothered with the rears, etc. I DID IT FOR THE LOOKS more than anything. I figure the more I look at them, the cheaper the cost-per-look becomes. And they ARE very pretty jewelry, indeed....:thumbsup:

Thanks to Dave Z for the patience in guiding me through the various choices.

:cheers: -Bill

·
Registered
307 Posts
looks very nice man
congrats!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Was it necessary to have spacers in order for the stock rims to fit or was it a total bolt on and go situation? I remembered seeing somewhere before that you needed spacers for the stock rims to fit with Brembo brakes. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Very nice. You're a bad influence. Now I want a set!! As for spacers, I think you need them for the rears only and they're thin, like 5 or 10mm only.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Need4Spd said:
Very nice. You're a bad influence. Now I want a set!! As for spacers, I think you need them for the rears only and they're thin, like 5 or 10mm only.
You're getting your brake kits mixed up! :)

The StopTech brakes clear the front without spacers. The rear StopTechs require massive rear spacers to fit under the stock wheels, so much so that I don't think it's practical to retain them. Aftermarket wheels are indicated as a requirement on my web page.

The Brembo front brakes require 5mm spacers to clear the factory M5 front wheels. The rear brakes, I am told, do not require any spacers. However, based on the feedback I'm getting from Bill, there isn't even 1mm clearance between the spokes and the face of the rear caliper. I'll be test fitting some M5 rear wheels over my own Brembo set-up in the next couple weeks and I may revise my recommendation and specify a 3mm spacer for the rear. We'll see. In the meantime, it wouldn't hurt to slap a set of H&R 5mm spacers on the back, just to be sure you don't shave off any paint during some hard turns, resulting in lateral axle deflection. Don't forget the longer wheel bolts!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Very nice! I have the same setup on my E55. Brembo 355mm front with black lettering Brembo and Renntech for my rears by Brembo 332mm. I went for the looks too even though the stopping power is mostly used up front. How much did you pay for you front and rear kit? And those are 355mm fronts right?

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
You're getting your brake kits mixed up!
Aaaggh! But at least I remembered the 5mm part! hiha I agree that with such low clearance in the back, I'd go with the 5mm spacers all around. Of course, I'm just dreaming, since there's presently no room in the budget for a set of Brembos.:crying:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Very Nice Bill,

No explanation necessary here for getting 4 corners.hiha

But the OEM wheels hide the eye candy too much.

I have to wait another week before the rear are fitted.zzzzz

They have more excuses than a preacher caught in a brothel.hmmm

Next Wednesday if it doesn't rain AGAIN, I'm going to have a crack at your QM time. I'll have the 5,000 Km's up by then, so its open season.

Of course you realise that if I can't beat your time with a Stock Beast, it will be Mod city until there is a new king. hiha J/K.

I specifically haven't done any performance Mods yet so I could take a crack at your title. At 12.86 I don't feel you should be too worried until the Mods start. Then be afraid, Be very Afraid.hiha

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Bill said
Don't even ask about racing, why I bothered with the rears, etc. I DID IT FOR THE LOOKS more than anything. I figure the more I look at them, the cheaper the cost-per-look becomes. And they ARE very pretty jewelry, indeed....
Very nice....very nice indeed. Probably the same concept concerning wearing a Rolex when Timex would do just fine for time.
I wish you guys would stop, my buy budget won't afford it, first Mark now this..started looking at new exhaust and dreaming of the sounds, but pretty jewelry looks better..
Ken

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
kwalls said:
Bill said
Very nice....very nice indeed. Probably the same concept concerning wearing a Rolex when Timex would do just fine for time.
I wish you guys would stop, my buy budget won't afford it, first Mark now this..started looking at new exhaust and dreaming of the sounds, but pretty jewelry looks better..
Ken
Hey Ken,

well I might have to delay one or two mods to spring for a Rolex Daytona.mmmmmm hiha

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Mark
Please don't say that word around my house....last time somebody said Rolex wife bought me one for my birthday.

If she hears about a Daytona (which is where she currently is spending my mod money) she will get me one of those too.

Nice thought though..just need to whisper names of those mods in the mean time.
Ken

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
S2, Dinan S2. hiha

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DZeckhausen said:
... I may revise my recommendation and specify a 3mm spacer for the rear. We'll see. In the meantime, it wouldn't hurt to slap a set of H&R 5mm spacers on the back, just to be sure you don't shave off any paint during some hard turns, resulting in lateral axle deflection. Don't forget the longer wheel bolts!

Dave, I'm ordering spacers and more bolts today. Also will delay the bedding until the spacers are on. My concern is heat expansion using up the existing caliper to spoke clearance in the rear.

Nobody wants to see those beautiful redheads get shaved lawn-mower style! Wouldn't be pretty...

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JamE55 said:
... And those are 355mm fronts right?... How much did you pay for you front and rear kit?...
Right, 355mm front (~14"), 345mm rear (~13.6").

Call Dave Z. for a quote, he gave me a nice discount (as much as Brembo will "allow").

:thumbsup: -Bill :cheers:

·
Registered
481 Posts
very nice brakes

Congrats :cheers:

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Looks excellent Bill, no let me re-phrase that, she looks awesome. The red Brembo's look great with LMB. I have to agree with MIB, when are the new wheels coming to really show off those babys?

:thumbsup:

Regards,

T.

·
Registered
208 Posts
That's a pretty quick install....

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
msindi said:
That's a pretty quick install....
Thank you. The four hours included unpacking the brakes and two 10-min. breaks. It took me about a half hour to figure out the jacking points and get the car up on stands. I spent about 10 minutes under the car on a creeper, admiring the design of the various components.

This was the first wrenching to a BMW of any kind. For reference, I've done ~ 100 brake jobs (I used to be a mechanic in high school and college, then did maybe 15 jobs on personal vehicles). Not to brag, just establishing a reference point.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you've installed brakes before, and understand how to get a good fluid bleed, you should be fine. It's an enjoyable job working with all that gorgeous new hardware and a beautifully engineered car. I was especially intrigued by the suspension components. HEAVY DUTY!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
pula mare said:
looks beter and a lot CHEAPER than dave's set up.

Brembo's dont make you buy new wheels.:sad2:
Look again. I had my front Stoptechs under my stock wheels with no spacers.

The rears will fit with spacers, but I don't want spacers, but I did want new wheels, so it wasn't a problem. In fact I had the wheels lined up before the Stoptechs. It was just a sigh of relief that they fit under the Dinans. Now All I hope for is that DFC will fit without spacers.:cheers:

Pula, I just got back from taking the beast for a run to McDonalds.hiha

1 - 20 of 41 Posts