BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, i went ahead and traded in the 02 4.6is for an 04 4.8is.

since i've driven for a while the 4.6is, switching to the 4.8is instantly made me aware of few changes. i might also add that i did not expect the 4.8 to be much of a different experience. more like a facelift. more of the same- something along those lines.

well, i was wrong.

here are my observations on subtle and not-so-subtle differences in no particlar order.

1. engine: the 4.6 is redlined at 6500. the 4.8 is 7000. the new engine is made by alpina and is a different beast in terms of characteristics (albeit only 15 hp more)- the difference is apparent especially below 4000 rpms- the new engine pulls much stronger. the torque seems to be everywhere and response is even more instantenious than on the 4.6is.

2. transmission- the 4.8 shifts a lot. not hunting for gears- just shifts more. partially because it is a 6 speed (the 4.6 is 5 speed), but the shift logic seemed to be optimized also. it takes very little gas to downshift once, if you click the kickdown it will drop two gears instantly. i tried also the manual shifting, and it was unrewarding and slow just like the in the 4.6.. no changes here.

3. suspension- in a word- tighter and sportier. the 4.6 by comparison feels a little disjointed with more free play in the steering. also the front end seemed to be sorted out since the typical trampling and vibrations during simultaneous cornering and braking are not presented- this was a big gripe of mine in the 4.6is. the rear also seems to be planted better. new are also the adjustable 3-setting height control which allows the truck to move 2-3 inches up and down. i was able to move to the top and middle position while driving, but the truck refused to go to the lowest one manually- i have to read the manual i guess. have no impressions of the x-drive- it drivetrain sure did not feel any different, but i dont think i would've been able to feel any differences anyhow.. the brakes were more consistent and lacked the inital "grab" of the 4.6.

4. sound- maybe the most obvious difference - the 4.8 sounds like a muscle car. the exhaust is raspier and can be clearly heard in the cockpit and is fairly loud from the outside. i like it.

5. creature comfort- pretty much the same as in the 4.6 with few exceptions- the dvd nav is much faster and the panoramic moonroof is huge. also, finally there is a tire-monitor system presented- this was not even an option on the 4.6is..

6. exterior- the 4.8is has new shape wheels (i think the 4.6 has better ones though), angel eyes and bi-hids. also the frontend is revamped (like the rest of the x5 lineup) and looks bulkier...

overall, my initial impression is there is more to the 4.8 than it meets the eye and i like what i see/feel so far. the new truck is even closer to the e39 m5 in terms of driving experience.

alex
few cars

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
nice write-up.. i really like the 4.8is look more than the 4.6 it is more mascular.. the sound also much nicer.. what is the color combo u chose? would love to see some pics ..

Thanx for sharing:M5thumbs:

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is the titanium silver (or whatever the gray one is called) with black interior and dark wood. looks nice... i will take some pics and post them...

alex
few cars

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Thanks for the comparison. I agree with you on the wheels, my preference was towards the those on the 4.6is but the 4.8 is still a sweet truck. :cheers:

·
Registered
144 Posts
This board has the best non-X5 BMW info around - so I'm curious why you few folks (plus me) continue to frequent it. . . Aren't there better X5 boards out there (RF, Bim-Fest, etc.?

This board has the most knowledgable BMW owners frequenting it, but has very little info on the X. Why is that?

As evidence of the lack of X info, I give you this post in which I 1) ask for an online or print review of the 4.8is, and then 2) (four months later) post the only follow-up.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44610

Is it just me or is this weird?

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
I have seen very litte print on the X5 4.8is but Car and Driver does offer this small article.

·
Registered
791 Posts
AJ,
Thanks for your review, very informative. I have driven the 4.4i and 4.6is and can only imagine that the 4.8is is a Beast! Your review confirms that.
Any pics to share? Did you also order the load floor and comfort seats?
Cheers,
Kevmmm

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
actually, ordering it was not an option- i got a "used" one with 1700 miles on it. it did have the roll-out cargo floor and the "regular seats"- i assume the "comfort seats" have the rectractable support for the legs a la m5? mine does not have that. but it has everything else methinks. panoramic roof, nav, curtains, pdc, etc..

now i have to get around to snap a few pics and post them- it definitely looks more aggressive than the 4.6is...

alex
few cars

·
Registered
144 Posts
AJ said:
actually, ordering it was not an option- i got a "used" one with 1700 miles on it. it did have the roll-out cargo floor and the "regular seats"- i assume the "comfort seats" have the rectractable support for the legs a la m5? mine does not have that. but it has everything else methinks. panoramic roof, nav, curtains, pdc, etc..

now i have to get around to snap a few pics and post them- it definitely looks more aggressive than the 4.6is...

alex
few cars
Please DO post some pics!

I'd also appreciate some more driving impressions as I wait the week to 10 days before mine arrives.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Zeke013 said:
Please DO post some pics!

I'd also appreciate some more driving impressions as I wait the week to 10 days before mine arrives.

Thanks!
What colour did you order and what were your interior and trim choices?

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
TiSi looks very stunning on the X5 and is a great colour to maintain.:thumbsup:

Was at my dealer yesterday and I spec'd out a 4.8is for delivery in February. I would like to go with LeMans Blue (to match my M5) but not sure about the interior colours and trim. This totally goes against my initial feelings and comments about the 4.8, now I really want one. I guess we'll see.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just found this portion of the Board. I'm kind of debating whether or not to trade my '03 M5 for an X5 4.8is. If so, I'd most likely order one for early Summer delivery. More room, wife can drive it, similar performance are the primary reasons but I'm thinking that this engine is similar to the M5's and am concerned about the long term costs when out of warranty etc., as I am with my "beast".
Any idea about whether this would be similar in costs, possible trouble etc.? Also, is the mandatory 1200 mile service a part of this vehicle's service requirements?
Thanks for any insight you can give.
ChuckG
'03 M5 Carbon Black/ Black Extended Leather

·
Registered
791 Posts
chuckg said:
I just found this portion of the Board. I'm kind of debating whether or not to trade my '03 M5 for an X5 4.8is. If so, I'd most likely order one for early Summer delivery. More room, wife can drive it, similar performance are the primary reasons but I'm thinking that this engine is similar to the M5's and am concerned about the long term costs when out of warranty etc., as I am with my "beast".
Any idea about whether this would be similar in costs, possible trouble etc.? Also, is the mandatory 1200 mile service a part of this vehicle's service requirements?
Thanks for any insight you can give.
ChuckG
'03 M5 Carbon Black/ Black Extended Leather
Well, if hauling is what you are after, the X5 does not offer much more cargo room than the 5 series, and probably slighlty less room legroom for rear passengers. In terms of engines, they are two different engines but in reviewing posts from this board, BMW engines in general are pretty strong, its generally the ancillary items (cooling systems for example) that you need to look out for. As long as you get the maintenance done, and don't hammer the car all the time, you should be fine with either car. Since you currently own a 2003 M5 you are covered by a 4-year warranty, same goes for the X5. If you are concerned about being out of warranty, if you leased it, turn it in at lease end and lease a new one. Or, keep your M5 and buy an extended warranty. Just my .02 cents.
Cheers,
Kevmmm

·
Registered
44 Posts
Kevmmm said:
Well, if hauling is what you are after, the X5 does not offer much more cargo room than the 5 series, and probably slighlty less room legroom for rear passengers. In terms of engines, they are two different engines but in reviewing posts from this board, BMW engines in general are pretty strong, its generally the ancillary items (cooling systems for example) that you need to look out for. As long as you get the maintenance done, and don't hammer the car all the time, you should be fine with either car. Since you currently own a 2003 M5 you are covered by a 4-year warranty, same goes for the X5. If you are concerned about being out of warranty, if you leased it, turn it in at lease end and lease a new one. Or, keep your M5 and buy an extended warranty. Just my .02 cents.
Cheers,
Kevmmm
Thanks. I appreciate your $.02!

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
update: at 3500 miles, the "service engine soon" light came on :confused: the truck behavior seems unaffected. however, after 4-5 restarts of the engine spanning 2 days- the light went away. a visit to the dealer i guess is required to read the code and see what the obd2 didnt like.

another interesting behavior that i am noticing is that every now and then, when accellerating very easily from a stop, the computer keeps the truck in 1st gear up to 4000 rpms- it seems almost like stuck there... normally it will shift around 2000-2500 rpms. and no, when that happens, i havent depressed the accellerator pedal more than the other times.

also, i've noticed that if you are aggresively stopping, the truck will downshift kinda prematurely into 1st resulting in a jerk forward. however, i consider that a trait rather than a bug.

other than that- the truck continues to impress me.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
AJ said:
another interesting behavior that i am noticing is that every now and then, when accellerating very easily from a stop, the computer keeps the truck in 1st gear up to 4000 rpms- it seems almost like stuck there... normally it will shift around 2000-2500 rpms. and no, when that happens, i havent depressed the accellerator pedal more than the other times.
My '04 - X5 4.4i behaves simarly when the transmission is in sport mode and you are not hammering the gas. It is inconsistent and seems to be more prevelant when I baby it in sport mode. It is very odd watching the tach race towards 5K when you are not in a hurry.

·
Registered
791 Posts
AJ said:
update: at 3500 miles, the "service engine soon" light came on :confused: the truck behavior seems unaffected. however, after 4-5 restarts of the engine spanning 2 days- the light went away. a visit to the dealer i guess is required to read the code and see what the obd2 didnt like.

also, i've noticed that if you are aggresively stopping, the truck will downshift kinda prematurely into 1st resulting in a jerk forward. however, i consider that a trait rather than a bug.

other than that- the truck continues to impress me.

The "check engine light" could be emissions related, the service department wll know for sure. As far as the sport mode, the steptronic does attempt to learn your driving habits, but it could be the transmission software that needs to be checked out. This has happened on the 3-series steptronic tranny's.
Hope this info helps.
Cheers,
Kevmmm

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
update. turned out the "check engine light" was due to specific fuel being burned. the ecu did not like particular elements in the gas even if it was the correct octane number.

unfortunately, i dont know which brand gas was (i dont pay attention where i refuel) and it cannot be determined postfactum (obviosly). however, when i refuled, the problem went away...

so, just as na fyi- the ecu on the 4.8is is picky and will light up the "check engine" light if it does not like particular gas...

what i dont undestand is that the only idea about the burning process the ecu has from the oxygen sensors.. and they register really only the a/f mix and in a very narrow range (i think they know about 11.5 to 14.0 a/f or so). so, something is amiss...

alex
few cars

1 - 20 of 29 Posts