BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Selling my M5 so I'm reverting it back to stock. The diff was purchased only 4 months ago and has around 9k miles on it. It's the best mod for any 6-speed manual, this mod alone let me beat another SMG M5 with rpi headers, rpi scoops and a tune. And for those of wondering, yes you can still hit 200mph if you get your redline increased to 8500. Ask me and I'll show you a video ;)

It's currently in my car as I still need to daily drive it, if you have any questions text me: 469-543-4550

I paid $4100 with a $500 core charge from diffsonline
I'll sell it for $3k

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m looking at diffs.. what’s the difference between quaife and m variable.
QUAIFE ATB: The Quaife ATB (Automatic Torque Biasing) differential is a unique type of limited-slip diff that substantially improves traction for powerful vehicles using only gear mechanisms. This clever design revolutionised the differential market - offering a superior level of performance and warranties compared to its competitors.
Quaife is now the world leader in differential technology. Successfully used in all forms of motorsport including F1, rallying, circuit racing, rallycross and drifting, they are also ideally suited to high-performance road cars. Quaife even supply FORD as original equipment for their Focus RS range.

The Quaife ATB Differential provides significantly improved traction and handling for powerful rear-wheel BMWs and Mercedes.Once installed, drivers will notice an immediate difference as the Quaife automatically biases torque across the axle to the wheel with most grip. Unwanted wheel-slip is greatly reduced, enabling drivers to exploit the full potential of their machines for the first time, leading to a more exciting, rewarding and rapid driving experience. There are no clutches, ramps, springs or other wear prone components to replace at regular intervals, because the Quaife ATB’s well-proven system of helical gears is extremely durable. This makes the Quaife ATB a genuine 'fit and forget' upgrade that offers compromise-free performance and unbeatable reliability on the street, strip, stage or circuit, but most importantly, it can be accompanied with Quaife's famous limited lifetime warranty.

Widely regarded as the differential upgrade of choice for road car owners, the Quaife ATB was designed to overcome the flaws of conventional clutch-plate limited-slip diffs. Quaife's patented design;
  • requires no servicing or maintenance
  • is guaranteed to work seamlessly with all electronics and OE components.
  • uses a progressive, non-locking helical gear design - allowing for safe and predictable control during moments of oversteer.
  • is capable of biasing up to 80% of torque to wheel with most grip.
  • comes with a limited lifetime warranty.

Viscous Type Differential (M Variable): The viscous coupling is often found in all-wheel-drive vehicles. It is commonly used to link the back wheels to the front wheels so that when one set of wheels starts to slip, torque will be transferred to the other set. The viscous coupling has two sets of plates inside a sealed housing that is filled with a thick fluid. One set of plates is connected to each output shaft. Under normal conditions, both sets of plates and the viscous fluid spin at the same speed. When one set of wheels tries to spin faster, perhaps because it is slipping, the set of plates corresponding to those wheels spins faster than the other. The viscous fluid, stuck between the plates, tries to catch up with the faster disks, dragging the slower disks along. This transfers more torque to the slower moving wheels -- the wheels that are not slipping. When a car is turning, the difference in speed between the wheels is not as large as when one wheel is slipping. The faster the plates are spinning relative to each other, the more torque the viscous coupling transfers. The coupling does not interfere with turns because the amount of torque transferred during a turn is so small. However, this also highlights a disadvantage of the viscous coupling: No torque transfer will occur until a wheel actually starts slipping.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Selling my M5 so I'm reverting it back to stock. The diff was purchased only 4 months ago and has around 9k miles on it. It's the best mod for any 6-speed manual, this mod alone let me beat another SMG M5 with rpi headers, rpi scoops and a tune. And for those of wondering, yes you can still hit 200mph if you get your redline increased to 8500. Ask me and I'll show you a video
When you hit 200, was it GPS confirmed? Also, were the ring and pinion polished? Are you going to need my stock diff? Lastly, do you have pics?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When you hit 200, was it GPS confirmed? Also, were the ring and pinion polished? Are you going to need my stock diff? Lastly, do you have pics?

I didn't not have a GPS, I just looked at the speedo. Yes it's REM polished by Dan from Diffsonline.com. Text me I'll send you a pic. 4695434550

1 - 11 of 11 Posts