BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone on here actually put the 4.10 diff on their 6spd M5? I've researched for months and the best I've found is they know someone who knows someone who installed one. I love my 08 IB 6SPD M5 but have been pretty disappointed for daily driving with it. I have a pulley, Corsa sect 3, and Brentune (which helped quite a bit actually, and great customer service!).

My main problem is just the lack of low-mid end power, primarily when taking turns at normal speeds. On ramps at 40mph used to be a blast in my E39 M5, E36 m3, and my 335I with JB4. In this car/gearing though it's just not in the powerband. Yes, we all know the E60 M5 can't be touched on a long straight highway. That's not where I get the most pleasure out of my driving.

My last hope before selling to get an M4 or similar would be the 4.10 diff in to get more use out of the RPM range. I hear good things about the 3.91 but don't think it will be enough of what I'm looking for. Can anyone chime in the good and bad of 4.10? Does it kill the highway practicality? Thanks!

·
Registered
218 Posts
3.91 diff is what you're looking for as far as regaining some of that low end. Night and day difference, at least that's what I've been told. I don't have it myself, but people vouch for it.. You lose your top end, but where is there enough road to thoroughly enjoy 160mph +?

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
There was someone on here that posted about having the 4.10 on their 6sp. The 4.10 doesn't work on an SMG but does on the 6sp so I would definitely get it. My understanding is putting the 4.10 on 6sp is equivalent to having the 3.91 on the SMG.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I am using the TMS crown and pinion. Excellent mod.
when did you install as in what mileage was the car when u did and how much time did it take
and is it complicated

also what your review about it any problems or what not?

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
when did you install as in what mileage was the car when u did and how much time did it take
and is it complicated

also what your review about it any problems or what not?

My car had around 40k kms when I installed it. Now it has a little over 86k kms. But since I have an SMG, I installed the 3.91 gears. 6 MT 4.10 = SMG 3.91 in terms of gearing.

The install takes about 4 hours. A professional install with all new bearings is necessary.

I never had any problems. Some people say they get a whining noise from the diff after the install. I might have it as well, but my exhaust is too loud and I don't hear anything else. However, the noise is nothing to worry about.

I absolutely love this mod. You can feel the difference everywhere. Especially in the corners. And the SMG shifts a bit smoother. Your cruising RPM will be higher by about 800 RPM, but I don't mind that.

I will be happy to answer should you have any other quetions.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My car had around 40k kms when I installed it. Now it has a little over 86k kms. But since I have an SMG, I installed the 3.91 gears. 6 MT 4.10 = SMG 3.91 in terms of gearing.

The install takes about 4 hours. A professional install with all new bearings is necessary.

I never had any problems. Some people say they get a whining noise from the diff after the install. I might have it as well, but my exhaust is too loud and I don't hear anything else. However, the noise is nothing to worry about.

I absolutely love this mod. You can feel the difference everywhere. Especially in the corners. And the SMG shifts a bit smoother. Your cruising RPM will be higher by about 800 RPM, but I don't mind that.

I will be happy to answer should you have any other quetions.
Hey man my car is an 08 6spd with 125k kms on it but im worried since i read on tms websitethey said that the diff should be below 70k km or somethin like that and since its just a 700$ mod r&p it sounds reasonable rather than chamging all the diff ..
Btw im ur neighbor i live in lebanon beirut :p thats close to u
Moreoever should i get the 4.1 or 3.91 im afraid the 4.1 will be too short to enjoy.. again i dnt knw advice would be helpful

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
Hey man my car is an 08 6spd with 125k kms on it but im worried since i read on tms websitethey said that the diff should be below 70k km or somethin like that and since its just a 700$ mod r&p it sounds reasonable rather than chamging all the diff ..
Btw im ur neighbor i live in lebanon beirut :p thats close to u
Moreoever should i get the 4.1 or 3.91 im afraid the 4.1 will be too short to enjoy.. again i dnt knw advice would be helpful

No need to change all the diff. Just change the R&P, all bearings and put fresh fluid into it. It should be perfectly fine.

Yeah. Lebanon is close by. Nice to see you here.

The gearing ratios with the 4.10 on the MT are almost the same as the SMG with the 3.91. If I had an MT, I would go with the 4.10. You will definitely enjoy it.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Has anyone on here actually put the 4.10 diff on their 6spd M5? I've researched for months and the best I've found is they know someone who knows someone who installed one. I love my 08 IB 6SPD M5 but have been pretty disappointed for daily driving with it. I have a pulley, Corsa sect 3, and Brentune (which helped quite a bit actually, and great customer service!).

My main problem is just the lack of low-mid end power, primarily when taking turns at normal speeds. On ramps at 40mph used to be a blast in my E39 M5, E36 m3, and my 335I with JB4. In this car/gearing though it's just not in the powerband. Yes, we all know the E60 M5 can't be touched on a long straight highway. That's not where I get the most pleasure out of my driving.

My last hope before selling to get an M4 or similar would be the 4.10 diff in to get more use out of the RPM range. I hear good things about the 3.91 but don't think it will be enough of what I'm looking for. Can anyone chime in the good and bad of 4.10? Does it kill the highway practicality? Thanks!
I have a bit of previous experience with this matter. I tried to install a 4.10 ring and pinion in my '10 SMG E60 (BEFORE Turner said it wouldn't work) and indeed it wouldn't meaning the ECU and TCU wouldn't let it work.(Check Turner's website and if they currently say it will work on a 6-speed E60 then you should be good.)

So I returned the 4.10 in exchange for the 3.90s and they worked fine although the installation is a little tricky and time-consuming. I am told by some tuners that they can make the computers accept the 4.10s in an SMG car with some coding but that remains to be seen. My 3.90s did make a significant difference and either gear will make a difference for you as well, however a couple of things you should be aware of before you pull the trigger. The gears have to be broken in and as I recall it was something like 1000 miles or so to do it right. I also had a slight whine at certain rpms that couldn't be tuned or adjusted out though this is not uncommon when you swap out a ring and pinion. What might be a bigger issue for you is the increased rpms at cruising speeds. I don't recall the increase but Google "Wallace Racing" and check out the calculators there. You can play around with them but in general it's a linear relationship so going to a 4.10 from a 3.62, about a 13% change, should bump the rpms up the same 13%.

For reference my 3.90s cut my 1/4 mile ETs (11.50s at 123.6; 151 in the 1/2 mile) by a little over 0.3 seconds but check out my video on Fluidmotorunions's YouTube section to see how fast it got through the gears-with 8,400 redline shifts I think I was in third gear in a little over four seconds, the other mods notwithstanding. Point being, you will definitely feel how well the car responds to the gears.

Safe racing,
KenL

·
Registered
5,914 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts

·
Registered
7,044 Posts

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Glad to see you still visit m5board @KenL!

I had the TMS 3.91 gears swapped into my stock LSD. I also hear a slight whine around 70-80mph, but I've gotten used to it.

Best bang for the buck mod, IMO. They call it the "poor man's supercharger". In the end I paid slightly over $2000 USD for the diff. That's parts and labor (TMS 3.91 R&P, seals, diff fluid).

I've been able to beat a ESS VT2-650 6MT M5 (on stock 3.62) multiple times.

I have a bit of previous experience with this matter. I tried to install a 4.10 ring and pinion in my '10 SMG E60 (BEFORE Turner said it wouldn't work) and indeed it wouldn't meaning the ECU and TCU wouldn't let it work.(Check Turner's website and if they currently say it will work on a 6-speed E60 then you should be good.)

So I returned the 4.10 in exchange for the 3.90s and they worked fine although the installation is a little tricky and time-consuming. I am told by some tuners that they can make the computers accept the 4.10s in an SMG car with some coding but that remains to be seen. My 3.90s did make a significant difference and either gear will make a difference for you as well, however a couple of things you should be aware of before you pull the trigger. The gears have to be broken in and as I recall it was something like 1000 miles or so to do it right. I also had a slight whine at certain rpms that couldn't be tuned or adjusted out though this is not uncommon when you swap out a ring and pinion. What might be a bigger issue for you is the increased rpms at cruising speeds. I don't recall the increase but Google "Wallace Racing" and check out the calculators there. You can play around with them but in general it's a linear relationship so going to a 4.10 from a 3.62, about a 13% change, should bump the rpms up the same 13%.

For reference my 3.90s cut my 1/4 mile ETs (11.50s at 123.6; 151 in the 1/2 mile) by a little over 0.3 seconds but check out my video on Fluidmotorunions's YouTube section to see how fast it got through the gears-with 8,400 redline shifts I think I was in third gear in a little over four seconds, the other mods notwithstanding. Point being, you will definitely feel how well the car responds to the gears.

Safe racing,
KenL

·
Registered
218 Posts
Glad to see you still visit m5board @KenL!

I had the TMS 3.91 gears swapped into my stock LSD. I also hear a slight whine around 70-80mph, but I've gotten used to it.

Best bang for the buck mod, IMO. They call it the "poor man's supercharger". In the end I paid slightly over $2000 USD for the diff. That's parts and labor (TMS 3.91 R&P, seals, diff fluid).

I've been able to beat a ESS VT2-650 6MT M5 (on stock 3.62) multiple times.

Hey Randy, which shop did the install for you? Did they also source the diff as well? Also, at highway speeds where are the RPMs usually hovering around 70-80mph? I'm debating between the 3.91 and the 4.10 for next years modlist hehe.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Hey Randy, which shop did the install for you? Did they also source the diff as well? Also, at highway speeds where are the RPMs usually hovering around 70-80mph? I'm debating between the 3.91 and the 4.10 for next years modlist hehe.
Performance Technic did the removal and install of the diff, but they sent out my stock diff to a reputable shop that they use for their race cars for the actual R&P swapping. I ordered the 3.91 R&P from TMS myself and then just dropped my car off at PTech.

I think at 70-80mph just around 3k RPM?

As others have mentioned, a 3.91 will put your 6MT gearing at about the same as a stock SMG @ 3.62. A 4.10 will put your 6MT gearing at about a SMG 3.91. If I had a 6MT I'd probably go for the 4.10 so that I know I'm not leaving anything on the table :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts