BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> Looking to purchase a E39 M5 however seller states that the 3rd gear sometimes grinds if not entered in slowly.

So the Synchro is toast, my question is can you individually replace it or do you have to go with a complete transmission swap?

If you can fix, whats teh going cost? He claims around $500.

Thanks,
Chasen G.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Unless youre getting the car for a steal, it might turn out to be more hassle than its worth. The trans will most likely have to be replaced. Search the cost of a trans in the classifieds, and add hours of bmw labor costs.

A month after purchasing mine, reverse went out and luckily the extended warranty covered it.....to the tune of $13,000

·
Registered
991 Posts
You can still shift and drive the car normally without the synchros, it's just not as fun. The options of fixing this are rather limited, many will tell you from experience your best option is to buy a new transmission. I beleive the problem lies in the lack of spare parts availiable and trivial knowledge of the transmission.

If there is a way to fix this for 500 bucks please let us know as I'm sure many will be very grateful! :imnotworthy:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Unless youre getting the car for a steal, it might turn out to be more hassle than its worth. The trans will most likely have to be replaced. Search the cost of a trans in the classifieds, and add hours of bmw labor costs.

A month after purchasing mine, reverse went out and luckily the extended warranty covered it.....to the tune of $13,000
I have a shop I go to that custs the labor by %50 from $110 for me. Its finding a transmission that worries me. SO there is no way to replace the synchro on its own?

PS. Will a DSSR help at all with a fluid change/clutch line change?

·
Registered
4,415 Posts

HOLY S$*#(%( YOU ARE CRAZY!!! WOW! I cant even... WOW! The car should have been totalled. Should not have paid half that. Not even a quarter of that. You could have bought a new M5 for that for goodness sake. Im sure your mechanic is very happy in his brand new boat, house, or sports car.

you can get a new transmission for like $3K if you know where to look. 100 hours at $100!! Wow!

OP, there really are NOT rebuild kits for our tranny. That tranny is toast. However you can find solace in the fact that you can find a transmission for cheap - they are the same for the 540 and M5, and get it installed for way less than $10,000.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
There are no replacement parts available on the open market. BMW has some sort of agreement with Getrag. You either have to canibalize another transmission, or buy a rebuilt one from BMW to the tune of about $4000. There are supposedly a few that have fixed the transmission, but they are few and far between. So, figure that into the price if you do go ahead. FWIW, second gear is a problem on mine for a while and I just have to be patient when shifting.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Lol blackxs, as I stared i did not pay this, it was covered by the extended warranty. If they hadn't covered this cost I would have found my own trans and had the work done at my indy. But I'm glad the warranty covered the work at the dealership.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> Looking to purchase a E39 M5 however seller states that the 3rd gear sometimes grinds if not entered in slowly.

So the Synchro is toast, my question is can you individually replace it or do you have to go with a complete transmission swap?

If you can fix, whats teh going cost? He claims around $500.

Thanks,
Chasen G.
1. YOU CAN NOT BUY THE SYNCHROS. Seller is lying. or doesn't know, or some idiot told him a lie.

Cost more than $500 to R&R the tranny!!! Tell him you'll pay him $500 more but he fixes it!

2. New tranny is VERY expensive. Even a used tranny is expensive, especially if you buy a 'used, low mile' tranny and find out is has issues and you are swapping it twice.

Penny wise and pound foolish?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts