BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I recently sold my E55 AMG and picked up an e39 M5. Loving it so far!

I'm curious as to whether anyone out there has picked up a roll of 3M Scotchcal (Graphic Films) to use on their e39, either to mask specific areas or to wrap the black door/bumper trim.

This is a very popular mod with the e46 sedan community; they get the Scotchcal in a color to match the car, and then wrap the black trim with it (the coupes have body-colored trim by default, so this gives the sedan a cleaner look).

I'd like to put a bit of this film on some of the scratch/dent-prone areas of the M5. I know some people are using clearbras, but that costs quite a bit more than the Scotchcal (this stuff is like $10 for a huge sheet). I have a hole in the lower part of my front fascia, and a small piece of this Scotchcal would mask it quite well until I can purchase another one.

If anyone out there has used it, do you know what 3M colors correspond to which BMW colors? I have a Sterling Gray M5, and I don't think that's very close to the Steel Gray of the e46.

p.s. here's a few pics of the M I just bought.

Three of the four SSR GT3s are bent, and are going to run me about $175 to get them back to round. Not sure if I even want to keep them; I was really looking forward to the OEM M5 wheels on this dark gray car...

On order so far: 545i shift lever & bushings, ZHP knob, chrome-dome rear signal bulbs, new wipers, 7L of Lubro Moly 10w60 GT1 & filter, ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII module, "shorty" clutch stop.

p.p.s. an off-topic question... the car came with the 16:9 television unit and an aftermarket DVD player hooked up to it in the trunk (a CarTheater, with the remote sensor wired into the cabin). I've been reading about the nav and I guess the 16:9s are an MKIV piece? It allows me to play DVDs while driving, but I assume I need to pick up a digital converter box to get standard TV channels on this. I'll also be installing a LOC so I can put my amp & box in the trunk, but since the car has DSP, do I need to pick up a Cleansweep? Nowhere to get an analog drop? I'm probably also going to ditch the stock 6CD changer for a DICE or Intravee unit (something to hook my iPod into). The PO of this car took excellent care of it; the DSP/changer bay has a ton of aftermarket wiring that looks very clean. There are also TWO male RJ45 cords poking out of driver & passenger visors; I popped the passenger one into my Valentine One, and sure enough it fired right up. Wonder what the other one's for...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So I'm going to see if I can get a sample of the following colors:

Dark Gray 7125-41
Medium Gray 7125-31<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
http://www.beacongraphics.com/supplies/3m/3m-7125.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts