BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got this product & ready to start wrapping interior pieces..
Just wondering if anyone has used this product on any exterior pieces? More important, how has it held up to the outdoor elements?
Thinking about wrapping the roof if the product will hold up.

Thanks,

·
Registered
384 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has used this product on any exterior pieces? More important, how has it held up to the outdoor elements?

Thanks,
From #M's own site, sounds like you can expect 4 years or so in "outdoor use" conditions:

Item description:

3D textured 3M Di-Noc Carbon Fiber Vinyl looks better then real carbon fiber but is less expensive and more versatile. You can easily wrap car hoods, wings, spoilers, interior pieces or any smooth finish with this stuff. The film has a 12 years indoor and 4 years outdoor life expectancy and includes an adhesive backing with air release technology for a bubble free installation.

-crds

·
Registered
832 Posts
Here's my install thread.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/163404-3m-di-noc-interior-trim.html

Personally, I don't think you need to use an extra adhesive as it will leave residue and can potentially take paint with it on removal.
3M externally rates it for 5 years (43800 hours). They tested it in the Nevada desert. This is only for the darker colours though (can't remember their codes). The light colours aren't externally rated so I wouldn't suggest doing your roof in a silver or other lighter colour (durability wise and just looking terrible).

I reckon just go ahead and wrap it. People have wrapped whole cars in it so you don't have to be the cautious product pioneer.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have used this on the exterior, and so far I have no issues at all. We have extreme weather conditions here.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I wouldn't use it on your paint honestly. Seems not worth it

Reactions: chasm

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've seen it, it looks ok, but I don't think it has a place on an m5 honestly. It's too classy of a car. Plus, what happens when you decide to sell and the next owner doesn't appreciate the film? If the paint is damaged on the roof it will really dampen the value of the car. Seems not worth it to me.

·
Registered
832 Posts
What I'm trying to say is that it will be fine removing it from paint as long as it's not put on with an extra adhesive. 3M say that it should be considered a "permanent solution" so they don't have to claim responsibility when some idiot applies the vinyl using an industrial strength epoxy or something. They've put it on an F40!

I know you're a new member and are just increasing your post count (yes, we see it on the dashboard) so I'll let you spend a bit more time on this forum and see what other people have done to their cars and realise that yes, we do put these cars on a pedestal but they don't have to have a strict Royal Canin pedigree diet. If you know what I mean?

·
Registered
87 Posts
What I'm trying to say is that it will be fine removing it from paint as long as it's not put on with an extra adhesive. 3M say that it should be considered a "permanent solution" so they don't have to claim responsibility when some idiot applies the vinyl using an industrial strength epoxy or something. They've put it on an F40!

I know you're a new member and are just increasing your post count (yes, we see it on the dashboard) so I'll let you spend a bit more time on this forum and see what other people have done to their cars and realise that yes, we do put these cars on a pedestal but they don't have to have a strict Royal Canin pedigree diet. If you know what I mean?
Not sure why my increasing my post count negates my point of view. In the end it is an adhesive that is supposed to be strong enough to stay on the car for 4-5 years. If you are positive that it won't damage your paint, then go for it. Seems silly to take that risk to me, plus I think it looks fake, and frankly like it belongs on a civic.

The OP asked for opinions. I'm entitled to mine. Since you are such an "experienced" board member, you would think that you would have learned to point out argument points instead of something silly like post count.

Reactions: leviathan

·
Registered
832 Posts
Ok maybe that came out a bit wrong. The post count was a bit of a cheap dig. Sorry about that.
I'm assuming you're still new to the M5 world? (correct me if I'm wrong). Members and non-members have done all sorts of crazy things to their cars which you wouldn't expect to be on a luxury Euro saloon, but it works and in most cases it turns out really good. You'll see this over the coming months as you work your way through the threads.

We're all entitled to our own opinions, but the OP has already bought the product and was asking members with experience applying it externally. Kinda rough saying you don't think it looks good after he's bought it right? Anyway, I didn't mean to come off as offensive or "superior". I haven't been here much longer than you. It's cool that you're getting involved with the chatter on the board and I look forward to the time when you can post a thread saying "Finally bought myself an M5". Just make sure you do a search before you ask what you should look out for when buying an M5 ;)

·
Registered
4,597 Posts

Thanks,
I had it on my OEM rear diffuser, and have done a lot of my friends roofs and mirrors. I prefer the Hexis CF Vinyl more, however, none of the pieces I've wrapped have had any issues with the elements. However, I have yet to see what will happen after 5 years.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ok maybe that came out a bit wrong. The post count was a bit of a cheap dig. Sorry about that.
I'm assuming you're still new to the M5 world? (correct me if I'm wrong). Members and non-members have done all sorts of crazy things to their cars which you wouldn't expect to be on a luxury Euro saloon, but it works and in most cases it turns out really good. You'll see this over the coming months as you work your way through the threads.

We're all entitled to our own opinions, but the OP has already bought the product and was asking members with experience applying it externally. Kinda rough saying you don't think it looks good after he's bought it right? Anyway, I didn't mean to come off as offensive or "superior". I haven't been here much longer than you. It's cool that you're getting involved with the chatter on the board and I look forward to the time when you can post a thread saying "Finally bought myself an M5". Just make sure you do a search before you ask what you should look out for when buying an M5 ;)
Hey I appreciate that, thanks for saying that (and thanks for the PM). In my book, takes a good guy to admit something like that. :cheers:

I don't have an m5, but I do have an e39 (a lowly six cylinder but I do love it), and had an m3 for about 6 years before that. I've been active on other forums (bimmerforums, bimmerfest, and m3forum) but am starting to make my way through this board. My understanding from the OP's post was that he bought it to wrap interior pieces but was asking about the exterior also. I think wrapping the interior makes complete sense because the wood often cracks (mine did, I sanded and refinished it but considered 3m before that), plus if it gets damaged it is easily replaceable for not a lot of money. I just think there is such a premium placed on original, good quality exterior paint, it would be a shame to damage the exterior of the car for something that isn't a permanent solution anyway.

Cheers,
Dan

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts

Yours looks good, can you get some clearer pics?

PS: You know the ashtray has the pattern facing the wrong way right?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Yeah, I did that on purpose. I kind of like the way it turned out.
Those photos are from a Blackberry. I'll take some better ones with an SLR over the weekend.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts