BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Company Representative for Valley Motorwerks
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you may recall I made a 52.5 hour run from Carlisle, PA to Rancho Cordova, CA a few weekends ago. The car was brilliant and the trip was fantastic. Upon returning I was getting recurring CEL's for bank 1 intake cam sensor, no big deal I'll swap it out when I do the valve cover gaskets. The job was easy and straightforward no drama...

Steven Ferrario dropped his car off for some service and mod work and he asked me to drive his car.. well, it felt like it had 100hp more than mine. Out came the diag equipment and sure enough the MAF's were out of whack... I also noticed after I got back that my temps would not reach over 1/4. It wasn't a big deal on the way back cross country since average temps were in the 30's and 40's.

Today I finished my thermostat and MAF's - woot! NOW it is a beast.. I thought it was fast before.. oh boy I am in deep trouble now!

Readers digest version
Thermostat + 2 MAF's + 1 cam sensor = smooth sailing

·
Registered
637 Posts
As you may recall I made a 52.5 hour run from Carlisle, PA to Rancho Cordova, CA a few weekends ago. The car was brilliant and the trip was fantastic. Upon returning I was getting recurring CEL's for bank 1 intake cam sensor, no big deal I'll swap it out when I do the valve cover gaskets. The job was easy and straightforward no drama...

Steven Ferrario dropped his car off for some service and mod work and he asked me to drive his car.. well, it felt like it had 100hp more than mine. Out came the diag equipment and sure enough the MAF's were out of whack... I also noticed after I got back that my temps would not reach over 1/4. It wasn't a big deal on the way back cross country since average temps were in the 30's and 40's.

Today I finished my thermostat and MAF's - woot! NOW it is a beast.. I thought it was fast before.. oh boy I am in deep trouble now!

Readers digest version
Thermostat + 2 MAF's + 1 cam sensor = smooth sailing
Out of curiosity, did you ever consider going with Alpha N tuning versus the MAFs?

·
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Out of curiosity, did you ever consider going with Alpha N tuning versus the MAFs?
The thought never crossed my mind - I live in Commiefornia and the SMOG stuff is a hassle. I already own a BMW that I have to slip past the SMOG station every 2 years. This car is a daily driver and I didn't see the need to squeeze the last bit of HP from an already very powerful engine.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Kinda weird for an old school guy like me having a car where you can change a sensor or two, or a thermostat, or some o-rings and get an instant kick in the pants power-wise. Seems like you end up driving along constantly thinking she is going pretty well.... but would she go better if I change the .... I blame this board.
I have read stuff about the t/s going bad - did you check the coolant temp on #7 of the hidden menu? Mine runs 78 deg C and that seems low (by old school standards).

·
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Kinda weird for an old school guy like me having a car where you can change a sensor or two, or a thermostat, or some o-rings and get an instant kick in the pants power-wise. Seems like you end up driving along constantly thinking she is going pretty well.... but would she go better if I change the .... I blame this board.
I have read stuff about the t/s going bad - did you check the coolant temp on #7 of the hidden menu? Mine runs 78 deg C and that seems low (by old school standards).

I didn't use the hidden menu, the temp gauge was consistantly at the 1/4 mark which is where it will be if the thermo were stuck open. Now it is sitting where it belongs and the car is pulling like a demon. 78C does seem a bit low, that's around 175deg F. IDK, but my Turbo Cooper S which reads the temp at the expansion tank runs 210deg F all day long.

Where is your temp gauge sitting?

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
68FB-
78 is fine, given your current climate. 79 is ideal, as that's the design temp. Still, I encourage you to research this here yourself, and not take my word for it. You have already done the right thing by reading enough to use the secret menu.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Sounds like you know exactly what you are doing. New Mafs should last around 50k before starting to tail off.

Enjoy it.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
New Mafs should last around 50k before starting to tail off.

Enjoy it.
I used to think that as well. I had mine replaced under warranty at 60k, and am note at 139k. Peak flow is 140-143. I change OE air filter every 15k, and do not drive in a lot of traffic. (Soot, diesel particulate are reportedly major causes of long term MAF fouling).

Frankly I was surprised the last time I did a test...

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I'm at 139k too and I've never had an M5 long enough to have to replace them twice but I always felt 50k was a good estimate.

Lots of traffic around my way :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts