BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2009 BMW E63 M6, Sapphire Black
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
37K is from 2009, 85K is from 2004 so I guess age could be a factor. interesting non-the-less

·
Registered
77 Posts
Is there any numbers on the actual filter? I wonder if it's possible to swap the filter rather than the whole assembly.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there any numbers on the actual filter? I wonder if it's possible to swap the filter rather than the whole assembly.
I doubt it. I had to bust it open with a sledge hammer to get to the actual filter.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Interesting. It seems likely the dark filter was using some sub-par gas. Or possibly the other 37k car was using fuel with some amount of ethanol in it. 🤷‍♂️

I wouldn’t think a difference of 40k miles would make such a dramatic difference. Also miles travelled doesn’t necessarily tell us hours of engine running or how much fuel ran through them. If the 87k car did a bunch of track days and lots of city driving it may have had 4 times as much fuel through it over that time as the 37k one. It is interesting though and clogged fuel filters can cause all sorts of pain.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had the 85K since it was a baby, with 20K on it. It does a lot of garage time between drives, but the gas has been good. The 37K I've only had since 34K, so don't know about its fuel history. Ethanol pretty hard to get away from in these parts. The 85K filter didn't "feel" clogged, I changed it for preventive maintenance, car was running great. But it is 5 years older.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I've had the 85K since it was a baby, with 20K on it. It does a lot of garage time between drives, but the gas has been good. The 37K I've only had since 34K, so don't know about its fuel history. Ethanol pretty hard to get away from in these parts. The 85K filter didn't "feel" clogged, I changed it for preventive maintenance, car was running great. But it is 5 years older.
Ahh ok. That adds a bit more context. Sorry, didn’t mean to imply the 87k one was clogged, it was just a related thought and a good reason to be proactive on changing them. Unfortunately I seem to recall they’re a fairly significant ball ache to replace on the e60.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
e60 was a breeze compared to e63. E63 has no room to wiggle back there. Be sure to stretch out before attempting an E63 :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts