BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello There!

This is my first post. I am planning on ordering a Space Gray 08 M5 within few weeks but right now I am looking at the wheel/breaks/spring combo.

So far I looking at this setup:

-20"/11" 360Forged Competition Spec 5 Rims for the rear and maybe 10.5" for the front.
-Red Front Brembo 405x34 6 Piston Monoblock Caliper / Rear Front 380x28 4 Piston Caliper
- H&R Springs to lower it some.

I am not a tech guy so I don't know if the setup would even fit together. Is there a chance that the 6Piston calipers would rub against the rims? Is there a way to calculate what spacers I might need?

I think the rims are very nice and are open enough to let amazing break system shine through. Any help would be appreciated!

Here are some pics of the rims:
http://www.360forged.com/gallery/cars/porche/zoom/image_13.html
http://www.360forged.com/gallery/cars/porche/zoom/image_17.html
http://www.360forged.com/gallery/cars/porche/zoom/image_15.html

The breaks:
http://www.velocitymotorcars.com/product.php?productid=216&cat=0&page=1

And I dont think you guys need any info on H&R Springs.

Would Coilovers work better?

:cheers:

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I am not exactly certain but a 10.5 inch wheel up front is much too large to run, especially if you plan to lower via the HR springs. Rather then getting mixed answers from everyone on here, your best bet would be to call whoever your ordering these products through, or the wheel manufacturer themsevles to see if they will clear the calipers. I know HREs are purposely made to clear BBK of all sorts. I woudl assume the 360 are as well. Hope this helps and please let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I am not exactly certain but a 10.5 inch wheel up front is much too large to run
+1 Try a search on "RAC Monolite". Here is the group buy...

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=108611&highlight=rac

Some guys made custom forged wheels for the M5 and did a bunch of homework on what would fit. I think they went about as wide as they could up front, maybe leaving potential room for another half inch, and I think those are 9". You can also get a good idea of offsets based on what they came up with. The RACs accomodate BBK.

Or maybe you plan to roll the fenders?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Those are very wide wheels. You run into rubbing issues.
Like the others said above check the group buy on RAC wheels and then at least you can compare the specs. But at 10.5 up front it's going to rub.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not a big fan of the wheels featured in that group buy. I think the only other pair I was considering is RADENERGIE R10 and I have heard some good setups on this board when it comes to 20"/11".

I have yet to call the 360Forged company to discuss some of the sizes so the 10.5" is just theoretical. I guess 9.5-10 would be more realistic.

I would be nice if they mounted their wheels on an M5 before so they can tell me the specs.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Why not consider HRE's?<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

We can accommodate any custom setup you have with our 3-piece line.<O:p</O:p

We offer two styles of the split 5-spoke design you are considering:<O:p</O:p
597R or 897R - one with hardware visible and the other hidden (respectively).<O:p</O:p

Feel free to give us a call and we'd more than happy to talk about offsets/sizing/brake/suspension/etc.<O:p</O:p

Oh and by the way....we'll be offering a 1-piece BMW line for the M5 very shortly. For all of you who asked for a P40 style mesh wheel I think you will be pleasantly surprised.<O:p</O:p
:cheers:

Thanks!
\Scott

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
I am not a big fan of the wheels featured in that group buy. I think the only other pair I was considering is RADENERGIE R10 and I have heard some good setups on this board when it comes to 20"/11".

I have yet to call the 360Forged company to discuss some of the sizes so the 10.5" is just theoretical. I guess 9.5-10 would be more realistic.

I would be nice if they mounted their wheels on an M5 before so they can tell me the specs.
I currently have R10 on my M5 (20x9et20 255/35/20 and 20x11et19 285/30/20). The rear slight rub already, but I have to add 20mm spacer to the front to match in flush. I think 9-9.5" front should be good with tire size up to 275 which is the biggest size i ever seen in the front on M5.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am actually liking the 597R's made by HRE. I know that people are saying that the build quality is amazing on 360Forged.

What can anyone say about HRE. How are the holding up in build and quality in the "expensive" wheel category?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
In terms of high quality wheels, I think HRE's are considered one of if not the best. I think you'll be hard pressed to find someone that has negative things to say about HREs.

Reactions: psguy

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
HRE are in the top tier of wheel manufacturers out there. Great product and customer service. The only warning with them is they will bend on you if you hit major bumps and they are a chore to keep the lip looking new. Randergie are great looking wheels, but they are very heavy and will have an adverse effect on your performance in every catagory.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Check out the HRE site www.hrewheels.com . They have pictures of the new monoblocks (flush wheel design, one piece) under the P40 section I beleive. You can run 20s on the M5, just not 10.5 wide up front. Bring it back down into the 9 inch range and you shoudl be fine. Hope this helps and please keep us updated on what you end up doing.

·
Registered
728 Posts
i just ordered DPE ST-5's. They are 3 piece forged and i think lighter than stock. also i wont need spacers. you can check them out at dpe-wheels.com

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sounds like HRE is the winner here! I would def. give them a call after I get my M5 order in to get some nice rims :)

And yeah 20" in front is too much. I would have to get some suggestions from Scott.

So your going to do a 19" front? Wierd.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
In terms of high quality wheels, I think HRE's are considered one of if not the best. I think you'll be hard pressed to find someone that has negative things to say about HREs.
OK, I'll say something negative.

Their two piece 'forged' wheels only have the center section forged. The rim is not forged, and that's why TCM stated that they will bend if you hit a major bump. If you think about it, the most important piece in terms of strength and weight is the rim, so only forging the center piece is the easy, but not the best thing to do. At that price they should forge both.

Some manufacturers, (BBS) forge both pieces. Otherwise you might just consider a single piece forged. For my $'s the RAC monolites are the best wheel out there for the M5.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts