BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
BMW planning to produce Z4 coupe; concept version to be shown at Frankfurt show

MUNICH, Germany -- BMW AG plans a coupe version of its Z4 roadster, according to company sources.

Like its predecessor, the Z3 coupe, the new coupe will be built at BMW's plant in Spartanburg, S.C., where the roadster is produced.

The decision to build the coupe is surprising. The previous model was not considered a success. During a five-year production run that ended in 2002, BMW sold fewer than 18,000 Z3 coupes.

The Z4 coupe is expected to go on sale next summer. BMW will show a concept version of the car at next month's Frankfurt auto show.

BMW says the car will compete with the Porsche 911 and Cayman coupe, which goes on sale in January.

The Z4 coupe will be powered by BMW's 260-hp, 3.0-liter inline six-cylinder engine. An M performance version also is planned with a 3.2-liter inline six-cylinder engine from the M3, upgraded to 360 hp from 343 hp.

A BMW source says the Z4 coupe will look sleeker than its predecessor. It also will have a roomier trunk.

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=103023

I like this news!! Could the engine be the one from the M3csl? What do you guys think? :cheers:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Since last year already our press here in SA have said that BMW SA have told them that there will be a Z4 M powered by the up and coming 330 kW 4.0L V8 that will also be used in M3/M4 saloon and coupe.. they were originally told it would use the M3 CSL poweplant but those plans were shelved in favour of the V8..

And also they were told there will be a new M Coupe.. the only factor being whether it will be called M Coupe just like the old model or Z5 or Z5 Coupe..
also powered by the 4.0L V8..

So this then is just confirmation that BMW are going to have "maybe" a big "M" showing at Frankfurt!! :1:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
greggb said:
Since last year already our press here in SA have said that BMW SA have told them that there will be a Z4 M powered by the up and coming 330 kW 4.0L V8 that will also be used in M3/M4 saloon and coupe.. they were originally told it would use the M3 CSL poweplant but those plans were shelved in favour of the V8..

And also they were told there will be a new M Coupe.. the only factor being whether it will be called M Coupe just like the old model or Z5 or Z5 Coupe..
also powered by the 4.0L V8..

So this then is just confirmation that BMW are going to have "maybe" a big "M" showing at Frankfurt!! :1:
Yes, I heard and read much about the 4.0l v8 under the z4's bonnet, but the link I posted is today's news (22. aug 2005). So what engine will BMW M stuff inthere? Anyway the z4M will doubtlessly be a great car.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
If I were running M, I would be very tempted to introduce the 4l V8 in an M Coupe before it finds its way into the E90 M3. The M Coupe is historically BMW's best performing car and its low volume would allow them to shake the bugs out of the new engine before it goes into the relatively high volume M3.

What is unclear is how well the V8 fits into the Z4 (Coupe) frame and how its weight differential affects the balance and handling.

Tom

·
Registered
164 Posts
bernhtp said:
If I were running M, I would be very tempted to introduce the 4l V8 in an M Coupe before it finds its way into the E90 M3. The M Coupe is historically BMW's best performing car and its low volume would allow them to shake the bugs out of the new engine before it goes into the relatively high volume M3.

What is unclear is how well the V8 fits into the Z4 (Coupe) frame and how its weight differential affects the balance and handling.

Tom
Allow me to speculate a bit if I may.

Seeing as BMW claims that the outgoing 3.2 and the new 4.0 weigh the same, I don't think it matters all that much which one is used. The I6 will propably not be mounted in the exact same way i.e. how far into the engine bay it is mounted. Handling won't be the exact same for both cars, but the ///M team will make it work wonders either way :cheers:

I agree with Tom's statement about how if I were running I'd also launch the new V8 in the Z4 body shell. Allows more time before it is really mass-produced, will give the Z4 and Z4 coupe a whole new image - helping to boost sales again and will also give BMW a true sport car that can really give the 997S some stick. My money would be on the Z4M or Z4M coupe winning that comparo (styling aside). :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
The M Coupe styling has always been extremely controversial. Some people hate it and some believe it is the most beautiful car in the world. The Z4-based model should be very cool to those in the latter group.

Tom

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
While I've owned several M3s, I can't imagine that an M3 owner/wannabe could object to the new engine being first used in a lower-quantity and higher-performance M car. The better platform will earn the engine more prestige and the extra shakeout will give the M3 owner better quality. I certainly wouldn't object to this.

Would anyone here object to the V10 having first appeared in a successor to the Z8?

Tom

·
Registered
704 Posts
A V8 is a shorter engine and can be placed farther back in the car. This would aid handling over the I6.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Zenith said:
Those pics look pretty good - maybe a V8 will give it enough grunt to compete with some other coupe as well...
A 415hp V8 in a platform that weighs just over 3000 lbs should shred everything this side of an Enzo or Carerra GT. BMW could make a truly exciting car here and put themselves into another category.

Tom

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.