BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where I live, Islington North London, there are loads of width restriction traffic calming measures. Going through is a squeeze with often about 2 inches or less either side between wheel and kerb. Coming from an E39 I'm now really struggling with the F10 bonnet and getting centrally aligned to avoid kerbing the wheels. If your doing it numerous times every day the probability of being slightly off on occasion goes up.

I don't have them, but what are the 360 degree cameras like for judging slow forward progression through tight squeezes, particularly down at kerb level ?

I'm thinking, only 6 months after my first F10, I may need to swap her for one with cameras, particularly forwards and side.

Thoughts ?

Thanks dan.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Don’t think they go that low as side cameras - however the 360 view is better but need to switch to R beforehand - there might be a way to get this view without. I’ll see if I can get it to work when I next drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Canon M5, really appreciated. I've never tried a car with the cameras so am just hoping they can help. Otherwise its getting a few road cones and starting intense training of myself in a car park :(

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
The 360 view from above would definitely help you avoid curbing wheels. I'm also not sure if this one can be activated without going into reverse first, but that can probably be coded easily. I know you can code the side view cameras to turn on at any speed. The side view cameras are low, but not curb height low. Honestly they are pretty useless IMO. The forward, rear and wing mirror cameras are the useful ones. I'm really surprised your car doesn't have the cameras? Maybe they only come on cars with the driver assistance package? Or could be a US versus UK thing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I find that 360 cameras do not help me when going through narrow places, they are not that exact.
To turn them on, while in fwd gear, you press the rear button (out of the two - whereas pressing the front button activates the left and right cameras upfront to help you see incoming cars left-right in t-junctions, when you’re not able to see eg from parked cars)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I use an app called Bimmer Code and a Wifi ODB adaptor from Amazon to code the car to enable the 360 camera's to come on anytime I wish. Very handy for parking inside white boxes etc.
I would not trust looking at the screen if I was near to damaging my wheels whilst driving, the 360 view is not clear enough to show your location to a kerb in my opinion.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Are you talking about the top-down (overhead) view? I do actually find it very useful when parking in a spot next to a curb. I find it's a hair closer in real life than represented on the camera but it does help for sure.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Are you talking about the top-down (overhead) view? I do actually find it very useful when parking in a spot next to a curb. I find it's a hair closer in real life than represented on the camera but it does help for sure.
I’m a former E39 M5 & E30 M3 owner and am starting to search for a F10 M5 and think I’ve settled on 2015. As I understand it, 2015 was the first year of keyless entry, available CarPlay, LED lighting package, night vision as well as the top and side cameras. Is this correct? Like the OP, I really want the cameras to help park this monster. Thanks in advance!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts