·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*flame suit on*

Yes, this is another tire size question. I've search but couldn't
find anyone who has mentioned this.

I'm trying to find the right tire for some RACs I'm about to
buy. I see that the TOYO Proxes T1R have a 305/30/20.
I've seen people running 305/25 but no one with the 30s.
Can anyone see a problem with this? The rolling diameter
is a bit larger than stock (27.2 vs 26.9). I currently have
the Dinan stage II suspension. Do you think I'll get rubbing?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Steve
I replied on in the other thread, but JamesinLV is running these tires on his RAC's.
Will you get rubbing? I had rubbing with the 305/25's before I had H&R's. So with a larger diameter tire, absolutely yes, you'll have rubbing even without springs. But really depends on the conditions. Big bumps, dips in the road will bring it out. Even surfaces, shouldn't be a problem.
All this being said, the M6 seems to sit higher than M5's. Jamie140 was the only other person I know of running RAC's on an M6. May want to shoot him a PM and see what he thinks.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Marshall, I'm conflicted as well. I presume you are part of the potential group buy. I wanted to use PS2s, 255/30 and 285/30, as the diameters are virtuallly the same as stock (my car isn't lowered). However, those sizes aren't recommended by RAC. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Is the rear of the RAC 10.5 or 10?

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I couldn't wait for the GB. I suffered severe wheel damage
recently so I needed a replacement set immediately. I am
ordering a set of RG41s through RAC Monolites. Lucky for
me they had a set available.

Through emails with Cleveland they are suggesting these sizes:

Front 20" x 9" RG41
255/30/20
265/25/20
275/25/20

Rear 20" x10.5" RG41
285/25/20
295/25/20
305/25/20

I would go with the 305/25 but I'm already bottoming out when
going into my garage. A 1/2 inch drop would be just bad news.

Pirelli P-Zero has a 295/30 available for the cost of a small house.
Speaking with Deknight it was necessary for him to roll the fenders.
So if the 295/30s are doing this then I strongly suspect the 305/30s
will be an issue.

So here I am, uncertain still and I have to place the tire order today.
I'm thinking of just doing the near stock 285/30s and just deal
with the potential awkward look in the rear.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I couldn't wait for the GB. I suffered severe wheel damage
recently so I needed a replacement set immediately. I am
ordering a set of RG41s through RAC Monolites. Lucky for
me they had a set available.

Through emails with Cleveland they are suggesting these sizes:

Front 20" x 9" RG41
255/30/20
265/25/20
275/25/20

Rear 20" x10.5" RG41
285/25/20
295/25/20
305/25/20

Do not go with 265or275/25 in front way too low. Either go with 255-265/30 or 255/35 in front and with 295/30 0r 25 in rear. If you go with 305/30 you will for sure have to roll the fenders. I do not know if the 305/25 will rub or not.

Let us know which way you decide to go bro.:hihi:

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Corrected sizes. Thanks Cleveland!

Front 20" x 9" RG41
255/35/20
265/30/20
275/30/20

Rear 20" x10.5" RG41
285/30/20
295/30/20
305/25/20

·
Registered
464 Posts
Please advise your findings - I am in this dilemma right now...

Goodyear is now making 295/30's in the F1 Asymmetric - 200 bucks less than the PZero each tire. So, this paired with a 255/35 gives same rolling diameter as stock - actually, the F/R are better balanced than stock.

255/30 and 305/25, on the other hand, is 1" shorter than stock, but gives more tire options and the fat rear.

Ideally, I would like a 265 or 275 front for better bite, but the rolling diameters are always off - can't get a rear to perfectly match...

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Please advise your findings - I am in this dilemma right now...

Goodyear is now making 295/30's in the F1 Asymmetric - 200 bucks less than the PZero each tire. So, this paired with a 255/35 gives same rolling diameter as stock - actually, the F/R are better balanced than stock.

255/30 and 305/25, on the other hand, is 1" shorter than stock, but gives more tire options and the fat rear.

Ideally, I would like a 265 or 275 front for better bite, but the rolling diameters are always off - can't get a rear to perfectly match...
Hmm. Interesting. Thanks for the tip, DF. Have you had any personal experience with the GY's?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Not for the last 20 yrs... lol, but from what I have read, they are a better handling tire than the PS2 in the dry once warm - not sure I believe they are truly better, but it seems they may be worth a try.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Not for the last 20 yrs... lol, but from what I have read, they are a better handling tire than the PS2 in the dry once warm - not sure I believe they are truly better, but it seems they may be worth a try.
Warm...shouldn't be a problem where I'm going. Think they'll be at operating temp even before I get out of my garage:3:

Conti's have to go soon. The fat 305 is great and all, but I just can't put anyone/thing in the back seat without the car rubbing like M5Baller against my leg.:hihi:
Just waiting to give them a proper sendoff...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Damn, AZ eh? Quite a change - I'm a NY transplant in Cali 3 yrs now. I've definitely lost the edge :7:, but prefer it here for weather and laid back people. Hope you'll be near the mountains!

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Damn, AZ eh? Quite a change - I'm a NY transplant in Cali 3 yrs now. I've definitely lost the edge :7:, but prefer it here for weather and laid back people. Hope you'll be near the mountains!
Save a small one year stint in Baltimore and a 9 year stretch in Washington DC, been a NY'er all my life. Need to move on.

As for mountains, while perhaps not 'close', if all goes well, this will be the view from the second floor of my home:M5thumbs:

Attachments

·
Registered
464 Posts
Nice view, surveying your kingdom and subjects...

From 1 Silverstone owner to another - would you do black rims on the car again? I thought I was going classic silver brushed face and polished lip, but am again considering matte black face and gloss black lip.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Nice view, surveying your kingdom and subjects...

From 1 Silverstone owner to another - would you do black rims on the car again? I thought I was going classic silver brushed face and polished lip, but am again considering matte black face and gloss black lip.
Absolutely, positively. Silver, brushed/polished, whatever, looks good, but the contrast really makes the wheels standout on a light colored car. Now in retrospect, should have done a gloss black lip as well instead of leaving it polished. Do it!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Sweet, going matte/gloss black - 1 more thing about the GY's - they are approx 3lbs heavier than a PS2 in 20". That's huge, so they must be a good deal stiffer.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Sweet, going matte/gloss black - 1 more thing about the GY's - they are approx 3lbs heavier than a PS2 in 20". That's huge, so they must be a good deal stiffer.
Wow. That's quite of bit of weight to add to each corner.
Really wish the Nitto Invo's came in appropriate sizes. Love the aggressive tread pattern and hear they're actually a good tire to boot. Only one I know of that has them is Ranger and...well....can't ask him now.:3:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts